Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 02:58 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,138,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
When putting the trimmer away for the winter, how do you get rid of the fuel still inside? One idea is to let it run for a while but wouldn't that take a while?

I also see the problem that we are not doing proper maintenance.
Pour it back into the gas can and then run the little bit that is left in there. It won't run long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 03:19 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Better off buying the pre-mixed fuel since it has no ethanol and also has fuel stabilization added in. Yes, you can mix your own for a few less pennies but the 2 cycle engines, especially mine, love and run great on the pre-mixed.
That.^^

Old 05-22-2019, 04:21 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I also run my machine on an empty tank until it quits at the end of the season, but I think fuel stablizer is a waste of money since it's shelf life once opened is only a couple years. It's perfectly fine to pour whatever mixed oil/gas you have remaining once the season is over into your car's fuel tank if you don't want to waste it by dumping it on the ground.
I also think the premix cans of fuel are a total waste of money. You get 1/4 gallon for $6 which is absolutely ridiculous, and on top of that I've found that my 2 cycle leaf blower runs better on the pump gas. The only caveat is I wouldn't use gas with over 10% ethanol, but I've never had a problem using 85 octane regular fuel from sea level to 6,000 feet elevation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
You have E10 available? Here all pump gas is E15. I still prefer no ethanol, because of what it does to the rubber hoses and priming bulb. The $6 quart is worth it to me because I don't use that much for the chainsaw and mini-tiller anyway, it may last a whole season, and besides no ethanol it's 93 octane and has stabilizer in it already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Dump the gas out, start it up and let it run dry. It won't run for over a minute on the gas left in the carburetor.
Quote:
I want to recommend Red Line 2-cycle oil for air cooled engines. It's a full synthetic racing oil for 2-cycle motorcycles. I have a cheap 2-cycle leaf blower that gets a lot of use, blowing leaves, cleaning gutters, burning piles of brush, etc. One of the head bolts holds the handle, and the handle broke. After 2 years I pulled the head off to look at the cylinder, and it was white glove clean with no sign of wear or scuffing. I was astonished. NAPA sells it.
Good Points Guys

Thanks

Old 05-22-2019, 05:56 PM

12,967 posts, read 9,489,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Better off buying the pre-mixed fuel since it has no ethanol and also has fuel stabilization added in. Yes, you can mix your own for a few less pennies but the 2 cycle engines, especially mine, love and run great on the pre-mixed.

If your looking to go electric, which I plan to do eventually, it seems the EGO is the best by far. It also has the automatic wind system.
I agree, and you don't have the hassle of mixing oil and gas. I don't use enough in a season to make the high price of pre-mixed an issue; if someone runs a commercial lawn business, they're no doubt better off mixing their own.

It might be my imagination, but my blower seems to run better on the pre-mixed fuel. It doesn't even look like a gasoline/oil mixture, and has a much longer shelf life (I think 2 years after the can is opened).

Old 05-22-2019, 07:04 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
There's no point in stabilizing gas for winter storage. Just pour it into your car and buy fresh in the spring. You can buy no-ethanol gasoline at any marina or airport. If your local farm store doesn't have it, they know where to get it.

Lots of premix and 2-cycle oil is designed for outboard motors that are water cooled. Chainsaws, leaf blowers, motorcycles and other air cooled 2-cycle engines do better with a high temp full synthetic racing oil. Chainsaw manufacturers like Stihl sell little bottles of 2-cycle oil that give a perfect 50:1 mix when mixed with a gallon of gas. Some consumer grade leaf blowers and string trimmers like 40:1.

I have a 50 year old Wards 16 hp outboard that still runs. It asks for 16:1. It's so old they were running paraffin oil in 2-cycle engines back then. I have no idea if it needs 16:1 of modern lubricants, but I pull the rope and away we go in a cloud of smoke.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:09 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times
2 stroke trimmers are way more powerful and do a better job with thick grass and weeds. If it's just a trim around the edges get a battery powered trimmer.

Buy 100 percent gas not gas-ahol 90-10 and the engine will last longer for both 2 stroke and 4 stroke.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:10 PM

12,967 posts, read 9,489,942 times
Quote:
There's no point in stabilizing gas for winter storage. Just pour it into your car and buy fresh in the spring. You can buy no-ethanol gasoline at any marina or airport. If your local farm store doesn't have it, they know where to get it.

Lots of premix and 2-cycle oil is designed for outboard motors that are water cooled. Chainsaws, leaf blowers, motorcycles and other air cooled 2-cycle engines do better with a high temp full synthetic racing oil. Chainsaw manufacturers like Stihl sell little bottles of 2-cycle oil that give a perfect 50:1 mix when mixed with a gallon of gas. Some consumer grade leaf blowers and string trimmers like 40:1.

I have a 50 year old Wards 16 hp outboard that still runs. It asks for 16:1. It's so old they were running paraffin oil in 2-cycle engines back then. I have no idea if it needs 16:1 of modern lubricants, but I pull the rope and away we go in a cloud of smoke.
You don't want to dump pre-mixed oil/gas in your car though. Putting your lawn mower or other 4-cycle gasoline is fine.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:12 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
OP, I get a sense you are mixing oil and gas right in the trimmer? You alluded to not having a separate can for mixture, so maybe that is why you are excessively smoking?

Get a one gallon "can" and mix your fuel appropriately.

The mixed fuel will easily last a season. At the end of the season put in fuel stabilizer, add to the trimmer and run it for a few minutes. You will have zero problems. Next spring, clean/replace the air filter, replace the spark plug, top off with fresh fuel and away you go.

You don't need ethanol free, pre mixed, or all those other things. Everyone has an opinion. Most are not founded on real world experience.

Make it simple. You'll be fine without making things difficult.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:10 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
If you do want a new one the Stihl's are highly regarded. They sell them at Ace. You can't sell them if you don't have an engine repair bench.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:14 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
When putting the trimmer away for the winter, how do you get rid of the fuel still inside? One idea is to let it run for a while but wouldn't that take a while?

I also see the problem that we are not doing proper maintenance.
Their gas tanks are tiny. Dump most of the gas out and run it dry.

You can either dump it on the bonfire/leaf fire and light it or put it in your car.

I don't know that you do a whole lot of maintenance...just run them dry at season end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden