Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2019, 05:58 AM
80s 80s started this thread

34 posts, read 24,072 times

Advertisements

I have flower beds that have (had) overgrown shrubs and perennials scattered throughout. I've done enough reading to get started. Please critique and offer suggestions. Everything just went in the ground yesterday, so easy enough to move things around. So far I've:

Removed the large evergreens on the corners
Moved the garden border out 2 feet in front of the Azaleas
Removed a wheel barrow full of Iris and moved 2 small groupings to either side of and under the bay window
Moved a grouping of Tiger Lilly's on both sides of the bay window
Moved the variegated Hostas to line the front of the bed
Planted Mountain Snow Pieris on both sides of the Bay window
Planted a Sonic Bloom Weigela next to the driveway
Planted a Pencil Holly in front of the downspout
Mulched

Next up:
Move the Hostas in the Azalea bed out to the border, fill in with transplants (no shortage of Hostas)
Thinking of moving the Hostas to the left of the Pencil Holly and adding a low and interesting evergreen (which one?)
Considering adding a small shrub under the bay window?
Plant annuals to fill in the gaps

Your suggestions most welcome, I'm in CT, zone 6A
Attached Thumbnails
Front flower bed reboot-20190519_172454.jpg   Front flower bed reboot-20190523_070712.jpg   Front flower bed reboot-20190522_182347.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 06:03 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
amazing what removing a few shrubs and vegetation can do huh ? it looks lovely . we had to clean out the flower beds when we moved into the home we are in now . I hate to tell you the roaches that came out of those flower beds because the plants were so close together ewe . I cleaned all of them out except for the roses and added some of my own . I am going to add two more next spring . In the other bed we put flowers for the spring and summer and then I will put in lettuce and winter squash when the cool months hit . so yes I know your pain about cleaning and clearing . In my opinion your yard is lovely now .

Old 05-25-2019, 06:30 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I think you said before that you plan to cut back the azaleas after they bloom. I would prune them evenly to window sill height.

I like the way you are framing the front door with the azaleas and the pencil holly. Make the front door the star of the show. I would rather see something more substantial than the pencil holly, but maybe when it matures it will be fine. I’d like something like a snowball viburnum there, or a showier evergreen.

It looks nice.

Old 05-25-2019, 08:43 AM
80s 80s started this thread

34 posts, read 24,072 times
Thanks for the feedback, I added a golden mop false cypress to the left of the holly and a dwarf Weigela to the right of it. I also moved some Hostas to line the front of the Azalea bed. Will trim up the Azaleas to window level in the next couple days

Keep the suggestion coming, Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Front flower bed reboot-20190523_194402.jpg   Front flower bed reboot-20190523_194412.jpg   Front flower bed reboot-20190523_194713.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden