Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 02:16 PM

6,793 posts, read 8,989,886 times

Advertisements

I have a gas trimmer that we might fix if we can find the receipt. I have several pages open on homedepot.com researching battery powered grass/weed trimmers. Seems none of them have batteries that last for more than 30 minutes? Or they have extra features that don't work, like trim line loading.

Anyone have a suggestion for a good battery powered trimmer that could last for an hour and doesn't have too many extra features?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2019, 07:16 AM

49,999 posts, read 63,325,358 times
DH just bought the Ryobi Sheer and Shrubber . He likes it, but he has several batteries, for many of the Ryobi tools, so he can pop in a charged one if the first one gets used up.

He has heavier duty trimmers, but this is great for 90% of the time.

Old 05-25-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
DH just bought the Ryobi Sheer and Shrubber . He likes it, but he has several batteries, for many of the Ryobi tools, so he can pop in a charged one if the first one gets used up.

He has heavier duty trimmers, but this is great for 90% of the time.
How long does one battery last? One hour? Thank you.

Old 05-25-2019, 01:21 PM

49,999 posts, read 63,325,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
How long does one battery last? One hour? Thank you.
Sorry, he just got it, so only gave it a quick try so far. You know that you can return it if it unsatisfactory?

Old 05-25-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Sorry, he just got it, so only gave it a quick try so far. You know that you can return it if it unsatisfactory?
I suppose so. It's always helpful to hear from other people. I check reviews online. Thanks.

Old 05-25-2019, 03:09 PM

577 posts, read 484,500 times
I do not like to recommend tools to anyone because they are sort of like our underwear...a very personal choice. The portable yard tools I prefer are first the BD's and then the Ryobi as my second choice.

I bought my Black and Decker 36 volt battery string trimmer and blower combo in 2013 along with the matching 36 V hedger. And today I am still working the heck out of the string trimmer, and the blower/hedger to boot.

I cannot say anything bad about these tools. Mine is the old LST136 (36) volt unit with the adjustable power output control on the handle bar. It gives the operator more battery run time if they are not trimming heavy weeds etc. Just by selecting a lower power output delivery rate. I don't think the newer 40 volt unit has this feature though.

As far as run time for the battery when its fully charged, it will depend on the load it is being put under. Mine varies from 15-20 minutes non -stop running with average cutting loads. Heavy loads, maybe only 15 minutes run time on a battery. But my 36 V lithium batteries are 6 years old now also, so they are not really a benchmark by any means, to judge the new batteries against.

Anyone that gets a portable tool should ALWAYS get two batteries. Because one can be sitting full charged in the charger and waiting, while the other is being used. When the power level indicator on the battery shows a low green bar, just pop the fresh battery in the tool before draining it completely. Put the weak one in the charger and go back to work. Repeat as needed.

And the BD LST unit with its auto feed string head with no "bump" needed, is great. VERY easy to reload the string spool also. The cutter head easily turns up vertical to make a great edger. The handle is adjustable to extend out/back in...for ones height and work comfort.

Here is what I would buy today in the link, if my 7 year old 36 volt BD trimmer, blower, and hedger died on me. My BD LST 136 trimmer and two batteries are in the pics. FYI, one will find the batteries are the most expensive item to buy for portable tools today, at around $100.00 each to replace for the tool in topic here. Good Luck on your purchase choice. JMO

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-...y&sr=8-5-spell

Last edited by greglovesoldtrucks; 05-25-2019 at 07:27 PM..

Old 05-25-2019, 07:26 PM

23,523 posts, read 69,933,850 times
Just a thought on the price of batteries, you may want to consider the idea of getting two complete units if the price is good. That way, if one fails, you still have the other. My price point would be if the battery cost was more than 65% of the total cost of a new unit. Also... check on the time required for recharge. There is a difference between brands. And... the weight of a unit may be a factor if you are older or will be doing a lot of trimming. Warranty?

Old 05-25-2019, 08:22 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,788,548 times
I've been buying off-brand bootleg Ryobi batteries and they perform just as well as Ryobi if not better. And less than 1/2 cost. I'm a few years into them so I can speak about longevity. Once caveat I've noticed on the bootleg lithium batteries is that they don't like to get wet, so not good to use in the rain. They WORKED okay, however the graph that shows battery level was illuminated when I wasn't pushing the button. The problem went away when the battery dried and it still works fine.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:50 PM

18,929 posts, read 43,248,233 times
I have a Greenworks G-Max 40v trimmer with the 4ah battery, and I can easily trim my large yard on less then 3/4 of a charge. If you have a small yard the 2ah battery would probably be enough.

https://www.amazon.com/Greenworks-Co...72&sr=8-3&th=1

One thing to remember with lithium ion power tools.... do NOT store your batteries in a hot (or cold) shed, it will shorten their life. Keep them inside the house at room temp.

Old 05-26-2019, 12:27 PM

6,337 posts, read 4,063,886 times
EGO self winding trimmer has the best reviews and warranty and you can purchase them through Home Depot who is a registered dealer. Take a look on the EGO website.

That is what I’m buying next and my yard takes 30 minutes to trim!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden