U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 04:15 PM

28,673 posts, read 41,231,069 times

Advertisements

Ajuga can be. A good edging is recommended. Trimming them when the runners start into an area you don't want them works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2019, 05:54 PM

7,180 posts, read 4,073,434 times
Due to winterkill I just planted some Rapido Blue Bellflowers in my little corner, slightly shady garden with some pretty rocks.
They're hardy in zone four and I think I'm going to love them.

https://www.monrovia.com/plant-catal...ue-bellflower/

Old 05-25-2019, 07:21 PM

363 posts, read 656,228 times
Thank you all for the great suggestions! We're going to go try to get something planted on Monday. I'll post what we end up with. I'm leaning toward the Creeping Flame Azaleas or the Rapido Blue Bellflowers. We are in zone 6.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:51 PM

40,413 posts, read 49,998,373 times
As mentioned above 'Hostas'. There are several varieties 12" and under. E-z to grow and maintain.
Hosta | Costa Farms
Scroll through and check out the low growing hostas.

Old 05-27-2019, 03:19 PM

20,610 posts, read 9,309,053 times
For the most bang for your buck, you need a small evergreen shrub or perennial ground cover with variegated foliage. I know of no plant that flowers for more than one season. Azaleas only flower for about 3 weeks. And many don't hold their leaves over the winter either. I love a good azalea as much as anyone, but if you are talking about a small space where you want something interesting to look at all year, azaleas wouldn't make my top-ten or even top-twenty list. For about 49 weeks of the year, they are, at best, a non-descript green mound.

I think hostas are a good choice, except they disappear over winter. So maybe smaller hostas and an evergreen ground cover?

Old 05-27-2019, 06:45 PM

Thanks again for the suggestions. We ended up getting 2 Blue Hill Sage plants and 3 Younique Cerise Astilbe plants.
I liked the idea of hostas and evergreen ground cover but my husband prefers colorful,flowering plants and he thinks the size will be manageable with regular pruning. We also noticed a few of the other condos here have plants that are clearly well over a foot tall so we will probably be ok with something that is a few inches over.
Attached Thumbnails
Best perennial shrub or flower less than a foot tall-img_2829.jpg   Best perennial shrub or flower less than a foot tall-img_2830.jpg   Best perennial shrub or flower less than a foot tall-img_2850.jpg   Best perennial shrub or flower less than a foot tall-img_2842.jpg  

Old 05-27-2019, 06:46 PM

If they live in an area where it snows very much they aren't going to see a small plant in winter. Source: Lived in Iowa for 66 years.

Old 05-27-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irongrl View Post
Thanks again for the suggestions. We ended up getting 2 Blue Hill Sage plants and 3 Younique Cerise Astilbe plants.
I liked the idea of hostas and evergreen ground cover but my husband prefers colorful,flowering plants and he thinks the size will be manageable with regular pruning. We also noticed a few of the other condos here have plants that are clearly well over a foot tall so we will probably be ok with something that is a few inches over.
You know about deadheading?

Old 05-27-2019, 06:49 PM

Tek_Freek, I lived in Iowa (Quad Cities) for 45 years. I've been in Michigan since 2007.
Yes, I'm learning about deadheading. I'm kind of a beginner at gardening.

Old 05-27-2019, 06:52 PM

20,610 posts, read 9,309,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irongrl View Post
I like sage as well, is this one evergreen in your area? Astilbes are gorgeous, but AFAIK, they spend the winter underground.

So if both those plants spend the winter underground, maybe you should look up your HOA's policy on garden ornaments? Otherwise, your bed will be bare during the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or