Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2019, 11:49 AM

7,594 posts, read 6,084,440 times

Advertisements

Greetings

I love Gardening and sadly live in a place where gardening can be a challenge, not just weather wise but with homeowner restrictions and such.
That being said, I purchased a number of $1 hanging baskets which are lined with a coconut husk barrier. I filled them with everything from peppers to herbs and by strategically placing them behind my house (To provide shade from the Florida sun) I now have a nice collection of herbs, peppers and even a nice hanging tomato plant.

For Christmas, my Old Lady got me one of those Aero-Garden devices. It is a self contained garden that has grow lights which go on and off, a circulating fountain which moves water and food through the root system. It came with 6 different herbs, but only two the basil and the oregano, worked. Sadly, they died suddenly after 8 weeks. Of the other 4, three sprouted but died within a few weeks, one never sprouted at all.
I am assuming that this is to keep you rebuying new seed-pods every two months. I thought it odd that something so Expensive ($150 ) would be so shoddy.

I tried to contact the company but no response. I am thinking about taking it back to Bed Bath and Beyond and just leaving it on the desk there. Sure they will not replace it, but at least they can see what a mess it is.

I understand that some people have had some of these which they claim worked, although those may be fake reviews. For now, I will stay away from the product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 04:13 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Actually, Bed Bath and Beyond has a really generous return policy. I dont' think you even need a receipt. Check it out.

I successfully grow basil indoors under a GE Daylight bulb fluorescent bulb - actually two of them, in a cheap shoplight from Home Depot. I used a big tote from Walmart, drilled holes in the bottom and put it on a big plastic tray. I cut fresh basil for most of last year until I neglected to keep it trimmed and it finally bolted. I keep mine on a dresser in the bedroom under a window, so it also gets window light, but that's not really necessary. No need for a fancy growlight system. I'll see if I can find the links for you, if you're interested in all I purchased. I use good organic soil and miracle grow once in a while and have tons of organic fresh basil most of the year - could probably have it all year round if I kept on top of it.

Old 05-27-2019, 04:36 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times
I used to grow tomatoes in an aerogarden. It was nice to have fresh tomatoes when it was dark and snowing outside. It's really more of a gimmick, sort of like having a pet tomato, because it never produced enough fruit to constitute being a food source.

I also grew some lettuce mixes in it. The did well but same thing, it was more like a novelty than anything else.

Old 05-15-2020, 05:24 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
I got mine around a month ago - with a mix of lettuces. So far so good - all have grown pretty tall. I have had a few mini salads, and this week it feels like there is enough for a good little side salad. I just pruned it because I was worried some of the new leaves weren't getting enough light. This week has been enough for two salads.

Next go around I am going to switch to some different heartier lettuces, and maybe some mint. I am happy. If I can get a little kale, a little arugula, and a little mint - it works for me!

Maybe not all seed packs are created equal? I guess I'll see in another month. So far it has been pretty painless.

The only tiny issue I had was that one of the lettuces had a couple of seeds that were dislodged, I had to nestle them back into the dirt and they are a little behind the other plants but doing fine.

Old 06-28-2020, 06:11 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,349,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I got mine around a month ago - with a mix of lettuces. So far so good - all have grown pretty tall. I have had a few mini salads, and this week it feels like there is enough for a good little side salad. I just pruned it because I was worried some of the new leaves weren't getting enough light. This week has been enough for two salads.

Next go around I am going to switch to some different heartier lettuces, and maybe some mint. I am happy. If I can get a little kale, a little arugula, and a little mint - it works for me!

Maybe not all seed packs are created equal? I guess I'll see in another month. So far it has been pretty painless.

The only tiny issue I had was that one of the lettuces had a couple of seeds that were dislodged, I had to nestle them back into the dirt and they are a little behind the other plants but doing fine.

So now after two + months, how's it going? I'm on the fence about the aerogarden.

Old 07-31-2020, 12:29 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Planted our first Aero Garden Bounty. Lettuce and Heirloom Tomatoes. Have another on in transport with plans to buy more. May get the Farm Plus next. I belong to a few Facebook related groups and am learning and planning next and future efforts. Depending on next purchase will transplant lettuce and leave tomatoes to take over. The one in transport will be used for herbs and bell peppers at first and will when needed transplant one of them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden