U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2019, 09:18 AM

821 posts, read 1,157,319 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I went outside this morning to check my garden and plants in my yard, I noticed a new weed that needed plucking. I was ready to have a tug-of-war with this weed, so I went in low and pulled hard, ready if the weed roots took a deep hold. Meh, it wasn't that hard but now I have this plant in my hand, I noticed it wasn't a weed but possibly a tree.

It was about five, maybe six inches long. With root it had to be 10 inches total. Four oval-shaped, green leaves at the top, and in the middle was a large seed or small acorn, about the size of a thumb nail. Usually I pluck-n-chuck weeds right into the grass to be mowed over later, but not this time. I took it inside and put it in a pot.

I do hope it is a tree and not a weed in disguise. Growing a weed in my house would be foolish and I would feel pretty odd.
Edit: Hmm, the image is there!
Attached Thumbnails
Potting a tree from garden-img_0432.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 11:50 AM

2,805 posts, read 1,537,378 times
Are those leaves prickly?

If it's a weed, don't feel foolish or odd...my husband has been lovingly caring for a large plant in the garden for a few years now. He even built a trellis for his plant to climb. It's the only growing thing in our garden that he has taken an interest in.

I don't have the heart to tell him it's a weed.

Old 05-29-2019, 09:13 PM

821 posts, read 1,157,319 times
Not prickly, soft. The stem felt smooth but hard, and the root was probably as thick as plastic frame glasses. Additionally, it was so strong nothing i did allowed it to bend or break it.

My sister has asked me to cut some trees and bushes for her. One she thought was lavender. I couldn't tell her it wasn't lavender at all but a tall tree. I cut it down to stand as high as her deck.

Growing a weed outside is one thing, bringing it in and in a pot is much different.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:02 PM

40,426 posts, read 50,018,698 times
Looks like a variety of poison ivy to me. Check and compare the leaves with this web site.
https://www.google.com/search?q=pois...=1559192083087

Old 05-31-2019, 10:31 AM

30,535 posts, read 20,731,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Are those leaves prickly?

If it's a weed, don't feel foolish or odd...my husband has been lovingly caring for a large plant in the garden for a few years now. He even built a trellis for his plant to climb. It's the only growing thing in our garden that he has taken an interest in.

I don't have the heart to tell him it's a weed.
in agronomy class i was taught that a weed is 'a plant out of place'.

sounds like your husband's plant doesn't qualify
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or