U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 06:40 AM

3,323 posts, read 2,227,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Animals are being crammed out of their normal existence by humans overpopulating this earth. The more we cut down their homeland to build housing the more humans will experience animals doing what animals do in order to survive.

I know most folks will not acknowledge what I'm saying and my comment will be the most unpopular....sigh.

You could always lead by example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 07:45 AM

1,937 posts, read 633,607 times
Beneficial Nematodes Combo Pack

Detailshttps://www.gardeners.com/buy/beneficial-nematodes-combo-pack/8596810.html

Get a Grip on Grubs Without Chemicals
Parasitic to a variety of in-soil pests in a larval or pupal stage
Safe for people, plants, and pets
Can be refrigerated in unopened state for up to two weeks
Beneficial nematodes are naturally occurring microorganisms that actively seek out stationary pests in their larval or pupal stages. They do this to create an environment rich in nutrients for their own reproduction — as long as you have the target pests in your garden, these nematodes will keep chasing them down. While they are parasitic to pests, they do not impact or harm people, pets, plants, wildlife, birds, or aquatic life.

NemaSeek (Heterorhabditis bacteriophora) targets grubs, root aphids, weevils, Japanese beetles, ticks, and queen ants and is ideal for lawns, pastures, and orchards. NemAttack (Steinernema carpocapsae) targets mobile pests like fleas, caterpillars, cutworms, armyworms, sod webworms, fly larvae, and worker/soldier ants. Easy application — can be applied with a watering can, hose end sprayer, backpack or pump sprayer, or through irrigation or misting systems.

Old 06-01-2019, 09:40 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,613,945 times
Thanks everyone. Really good info. I'll try the dawn soap test to see if there're grubs. I've never seen any but never know. This happens at night and we do have skunks in the neighborhood... but not close to my house. I dont smell anything funky on my lawn though. We dont have armadillos around here.

Old 06-01-2019, 10:30 AM

2,268 posts, read 1,404,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
found some interesting info

Raccoons will “roll-up” a lawn while searching for grubs and other larval insects. Skunks make small individual holes when they search for insect larva. Squirrels will dig holes when they burry food. Raccoons and skunks work only at night. Squirrels work only during daylight hours, so if holes appear overnight you know it’s not a squirrel. And then there are gophers and moles…but that’s another story.

The first symptom for grubs in the lawn will be the appearance of brown spots (dead lawn grass) two or three inches in diameter. If the spots increase in size and even join, these are probably grubs enlarging their feeding area. To verify grubs, make a solution of 4 Tablespoons of liquid dish detergent (Dawn, Palmolive, etc.) in two gallons of water and sprinkle it over an affected area of one yard square. Sprinkle some on the brown area and some on the adjoining green area. If there are grubs present, they will come to the surface within five minutes. This will not kill them; only bring them up to the surface.

For raccoons and skunks, use Beneficial Nematodes or Bayer Grub Control to get rid of the grubs. The non-chemical solution to prevent damage by raccoons and skunks is to treat the area with Beneficial Nematodes. These microscopic roundworms will hunt down, penetrate, and kill soil-dwelling insect larvae (grubs). They will remain effective for 2 years and are safe for people, pets, earthworms, and the environment. Do not use follow-up insecticides; they will kill the nematodes.

Photos would be nice

According to my lawn guy the large brown spots on my lawn are from grubs, so I'm going to try that suggestion of using soap and water and see what happens. I'll let you guys know how I make out with that suggestion.

OP, those brown lawn spots could possibly be from a pet peeing on the lawn. Without pics it's hard to tell. I have yellowish brown spots from my dog peeing on the lawn, but then I've also got a large dead grass spot that's much darker in color and I think that's from grubs.

Old 06-01-2019, 12:29 PM

11,249 posts, read 5,251,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
You could always lead by example.
I do. I am child free by choice!

I am a friend to animals and I help all animals in need that cross my path.

Old 06-01-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
I live in the NE, suburb outside Boston. Last fall and this spring, my lawn has been dug up by some animal. It doesnt just dig a little hole to hide nuts which I've seen squirrels do before, it takes patches of grass and flips them over at the roots. Each day, I'd find many new patches. In early Spring a few months ago, 1 section of the lawn looked as if a rototiller ran thru it. The animal doesn't go deep, it just peels away the grass. I'm like WTF! What can I do??
I bet it's a coon. We had a coon doing this to our lawn and we tried the bird netting over the lawn for a month and it worked like a charm!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEB0qoeVCH4

There are other ways to curb them from destroying your lawn if it turns out to be coons.

Prevent a Raccoon Digging in Your Yard

“Help, the Raccoons & Skunks Are Tearing Up My Lawn!”

Old 06-01-2019, 12:46 PM

3,323 posts, read 2,227,824 times
Quote:
I do. I am child free by choice!

I am a friend to animals and I help all animals in need that cross my path.
Yet YOU are still here, right?

Old 06-01-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Yet YOU are still here, right?
Non sequitur response.

I mentioned overpopulation crowding out the animals from their homes. You stated lead by example. I do. I chose not to have children.

Perhaps you can learn a thing or two by understanding how human activity impacts other species.

Humans Put 1 Million Species at Risk of Extinction

I'm also a friend to animals. I feed and help all animals in need that cross my path...even those coons that were destroying my lawn.

What do you do to lead by example?

Old 06-01-2019, 01:29 PM

5,650 posts, read 5,212,435 times
Quote:
Animals are being crammed out of their normal existence by humans overpopulating this earth. The more we cut down their homeland to build housing the more humans will experience animals doing what animals do in order to survive.

I know most folks will not acknowledge what I'm saying and my comment will be the most unpopular....sigh.
I totally agree....the folks who want to kill wildlife just to preserve a lousy patch of grass is pretty sickening to me. The world belongs to all....people and animals.

Old 06-01-2019, 02:18 PM

16,374 posts, read 9,641,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Skunk or something looking for and finding grubs. Kill the grubs.
Thanks for the tipoff! I do have squirrels but I'm seeing somewhat bigger and deeper holes than what they typically dig. It has been super wet here for weeks so it seems like it could be a bumper season for grubs and the resulting Japanese beetles. They may be a bit delayed because of the very cool spring but when they come, it'll be with a vengeance.

I put down the grub control today and hope that the expected rain tonight will water it in. I may get another bag as I used a middling dose this time - something more in a few weeks might not be out of line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or