U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 02:26 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,051,439 times

Advertisements

OP, like marino760 said, there is NO WAY you will be able to grow Avocado trees outside in the ground in your zone--way too cold. Also, same goes for citrus. 7b is way too cold for them also.

Instead of buying fruit trees mail order, I recommend that you go to a local nursery. They will know what will grow and fruit in your area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 03:30 PM

12,006 posts, read 9,395,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
OP, like marino760 said, there is NO WAY you will be able to grow Avocado trees outside in the ground in your zone--way too cold. Also, same goes for citrus. 7b is way too cold for them also.

Instead of buying fruit trees mail order, I recommend that you go to a local nursery. They will know what will grow and fruit in your area.
I like a good challenge. I'm going to try a cold hardy variety.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:05 AM

4,475 posts, read 2,407,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Good luck! Plant it close to the house, or a hot tub, if that's feasible.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:19 AM

7,908 posts, read 4,922,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I don't want to discourage you, but I'm not finding anything online that suggests avocados can be successfully grown in zone 7b unless you have a greenhouse or can bring the tree inside in cold weather.

My sister lives in 7a and she has been able to keep a lemon tree alive and even producing a few lemons by bringing it into the house in winter. It's worth it to her.

My own philosophy is to make life easier by growing what wants to grow in your climate. I do get how people feel about a challenge. We're in 10a, and my husband used to try so hard to grow things like Japanese maples and peonies which languish and suffer in our climate, just because he loves them so much. But even he is realizing that he and the plants are a lot better off if they are citrus, bougainvillea, and succulents.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:38 AM

1,938 posts, read 634,804 times
In my dream world, I would have fig trees. I have a dwarf cherry tree. The flowers are pretty. The birds get the fruit and the Japanese beetles get the rest.

I second the opinion of going to a local nursery and asking about your zone.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:06 AM

24,259 posts, read 31,313,403 times
If you want fruit, you should be able to grow peaches, nectarines, plums, apricots, all sorts of berries. You should be able to grow pecans and almonds. Although, caution, peach trees and almond trees don't like a lot of rain.

You might possibly be able to grow cold hardy figs, like Desert King or Chicago.

You are not going to be able to grow plants that are frost sensitive like avocados, mangoes, bananas, or most citrus. You might be able to grow lemons if you have a sheltered area and some good luck.

Maybe, a low chill apple like Anna. With some careful research you can find a variety of grape that will grow in that zone.

Don't trust the local nursery 100%. I've seen plenty of plants in nurseries that I know for a fact won't grow in the area. You must do your research.

With some planning, you should be able to grow a very wide variety of vegetables.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:31 AM

17,312 posts, read 8,075,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I don't want to discourage you, but I'm not finding anything online that suggests avocados can be successfully grown in zone 7b unless you have a greenhouse or can bring the tree inside in cold weather.

My sister lives in 7a and she has been able to keep a lemon tree alive and even producing a few lemons by bringing it into the house in winter. It's worth it to her.

My own philosophy is to make life easier by growing what wants to grow in your climate. I do get how people feel about a challenge. We're in 10a, and my husband used to try so hard to grow things like Japanese maples and peonies which languish and suffer in our climate, just because he loves them so much. But even he is realizing that he and the plants are a lot better off if they are citrus, bougainvillea, and succulents.
I couldn’t grow lemons in zone 9, but down here it’s growing easily. If it’s too much hard work, I would skip it. Gardenining is supposed to be fun.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:32 AM

17,312 posts, read 8,075,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
In my dream world, I would have fig trees. I have a dwarf cherry tree. The flowers are pretty. The birds get the fruit and the Japanese beetles get the rest.

I second the opinion of going to a local nursery and asking about your zone.
Fig trees are so easy here, almost a weed, I have to keep them in pots otherwise they take over the garden.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:47 PM

10,564 posts, read 8,029,729 times
South Carolina, which is the 'southeast'.. I've done well with Apple, Fig and Pecan. Cherry trees didn't make it, but I may try them again. They died shortly after planting, so, believe there were other issues there.

My grandmother used to have a persimmon tree that put out a massive amount of fruit every year.

Peach.. Will do very well, but get the right variety. I wound up with early blooming peach trees.. Didn't do enough research before planting them, and I've only gotten peaches off them 3 out of 10 years or so.. We always tend to have this one late frost right around tax day.. And it kills the crop. Eventually i'm going to plant more of them, but only after further research.

Avocados in this area.. Don't happen, unless you pot them and bring them in during the winter months.

Apples don't do well on the coast here, either. In my area, the upstate, they do quite well.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:53 PM

1,199 posts, read 355,014 times
Don't forget to grow hazelnut and walnut as well as almond. People in your planting zone typically stick to apples, plums, figs and pawpaw (somewhat similar to a mango). Avocado is for the zone 10s and stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or