U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 10:54 AM

12,010 posts, read 9,418,200 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm thinking about having 2 or 3 fruit & nut trees in my yard when I buy my new house.

I'm planning on a dwarf almond tree and a dwarf Rainier cherry tree. I can always freeze, dehydrate, or vacuum pack the cherries and almonds.

I'm also contemplating either a dwarf citrus tree or even a dwarf avocado tree. My question is, what to do with the extra citrus or avocados. There is some flexibility with the citrus. However, avocados don't last long or store well.

Any other suggestions for dwarf fruit or nut trees? Do any of you grow fruit or nuts in your yards?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 11:29 AM

7,970 posts, read 4,949,532 times
Avocados, as you know, are picked hard and ripen off the tree. They last a long, long time if they are chilled before ripening. You just need to take one out a few days before you need it so it can ripen.

I also can't imagine you'd have trouble giving them away, but what climate are you in? Citrus/avocado have very different requirements from almonds and cherries.

Old 06-01-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Avocados, as you know, are picked hard and ripen off the tree. They last a long, long time if they are chilled before ripening. You just need to take one out a few days before you need it so it can ripen.

I also can't imagine you'd have trouble giving them away, but what climate are you in? Citrus/avocado have very different requirements from almonds and cherries.
Zone 7b. Similar to Southeast US. I'm just afraid of having like 20+ avocados at once.

Old 06-01-2019, 12:58 PM

24,303 posts, read 31,380,829 times
I don't think you can grow avocados and cherries in the same climate. Almonds have a third different climate requirement.

Old 06-01-2019, 01:00 PM

24,303 posts, read 31,380,829 times
If you have excess avocados, you trade them to other gardeners that are growing something you want.

If you have a full size avocado tree, you won't have 20 avocados at once. You will have hundreds of avocados at once.

Old 06-01-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't think you can grow avocados and cherries in the same climate. Almonds have a third different climate requirement.
I'm seeing varieties that may work in zone 7b.

Almond: https://www.gurneys.com/product/hall...SABEgL9dvD_BwE

Cherry: https://www.groworganic.com/cherry-r...emi-dwarf.html

Avocado: https://www.fast-growing-trees.com/p...iABEgJSdvD_BwE

These are all dwarf/semi-dwarf varieties.

Old 06-01-2019, 04:35 PM

2,149 posts, read 2,339,806 times
When our avocados ripen we get about 600 of them. About 1/3 of them are damaged by rats so we leave them near the tree and the wild chickens and pigs eat them. That still leaves us several hundred. We eat a dozen or so. You can make guacamole with them and freeze it, lasts at least a year and tastes freshly made when you thaw it out. Have never had any problem giving them away. Next harvest we will sell some in the stand in front of our house. If you want year-round avocados the best plan is to grow 5-6 different varieties that ripen at different times of the year. A lot of people feed the excess avocados to their chickens. Almost every web site out there will say that they are HIGHLY TOXIC TO BIRDS but our chickens have eaten piles of them and have never shown any ill effects.

As far as nuts, grow whatever you want to eat that is going to bear fruit sooner rather than later. We have a sickly macadamia nut tree near the back of our property and I have no idea how old it is. I'd prefer to start over with a commercial bearing variety, preferably grafted if I can find one.

Old 06-02-2019, 05:54 AM

13,020 posts, read 6,000,621 times
There's no need to worry about having extra avocados because you won't have any at all. Avocados don't stand a chance of growing in zone 7, not even the most hardy ones. It's not going to happen.

Last edited by marino760; 06-02-2019 at 06:06 AM..

Old 06-02-2019, 07:28 AM

73 posts, read 26,663 times
An Italian Plum Tree is nice. Grows fast and bears fairly heavy. Fruit is not buggy, though sometimes yellow jackets like them.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:23 AM

12,586 posts, read 21,218,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

Avocados can stay on the tree till needed. Then pulled they’ll ripen. We have a big tree, and we give away a ton. People love them.

The one thing I just heard was you need a second tree around. Avocados are not self pollinating. My neighbors moved in a few years after us, saw our tree and planted one of their own. Both are heavy producers with no help from us. Hubs waters it deeply about twice a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or