U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 08:36 AM

4,992 posts, read 6,686,167 times

Advertisements

Okay...the first pictured weed is VIRGINIA BUTTONWEED!!!

https://www.lsuagcenter.com/profiles...e1469553935358
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 09:00 AM

2,759 posts, read 1,018,011 times
Buttonweed has recently become a problem in lawns here on Long Island. It had not been seen here (was actually considered a threatened species in New Jersey not long ago) except for one wild-plants display garden in the Bronx. A few years ago the weed started appearing in gardens in the northwest part of Long Island and it is now moving eastward along the northern section.

There's an herbicide called Lontrel that will control buttonweed but it's not registered for use on home lawns, only on golf courses etc. and is not allowed to be used at all within the two counties of Long Island. This is probably because we get our water supply from an underground aquifer here, unlike NY City and its adjacent counties whose water is brought down from "upstate".

Old 06-29-2019, 08:36 AM

1,959 posts, read 642,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Buttonweed has recently become a problem in lawns here on Long Island. It had not been seen here (was actually considered a threatened species in New Jersey not long ago) except for one wild-plants display garden in the Bronx. A few years ago the weed started appearing in gardens in the northwest part of Long Island and it is now moving eastward along the northern section.

There's an herbicide called Lontrel that will control buttonweed but it's not registered for use on home lawns, only on golf courses etc. and is not allowed to be used at all within the two counties of Long Island. This is probably because we get our water supply from an underground aquifer here, unlike NY City and its adjacent counties whose water is brought down from "upstate".
It's been creeping up to Westchester too.

Old 06-29-2019, 04:24 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,545,287 times
You can dig weeds out of lawn.

Old 06-29-2019, 04:40 PM

16,428 posts, read 9,685,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingston5821 View Post
Do you know what really works to get rid of the weeds? Aerating, improving the soils, and planting proper species of grass seed in the early spring or early fall. State extension offices are great resources to help you improve soil and choose the correct grass species. You will find that it will crowd out most weeds.

I use zero chemicals on the lawn and have crowded out most of the weeds with grass. My lawn looks better than the neighbors' chemical mess.

I didn't use any special high end coated grass seed either. Just properly selected bare seed from Agway, applied at the proper time of year, and over freshly aerated surfaces.

Cutting the grass to the correct height also helps. Dont scalp it!
I have a few odd bare spots and would love to seed them but I have no idea how I'd keep 4 or 5 individual spots of 2-6 square feet moist for several weeks. I'm not sitting at home and able to move a hose around all day - is that unnecessary if done early or late enough in the year?

Old 06-29-2019, 09:25 PM

27,406 posts, read 25,974,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I have a few odd bare spots and would love to seed them but I have no idea how I'd keep 4 or 5 individual spots of 2-6 square feet moist for several weeks. I'm not sitting at home and able to move a hose around all day - is that unnecessary if done early or late enough in the year?
Yes. Spring or fall would be good when it's not hot and the seed won't dry out quickly. I've had good luck with sowing grass seed in the winter.

https://grasspad.com/dormant-seeding/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden