U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 09:55 AM

253 posts, read 164,993 times

Advertisements

Hello,

How do i kill these weeds without killing my lawn and what do you call them?
Anything but roundup

Last edited by heartdurhamnc; 10-21-2019 at 06:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 03:49 PM

2,217 posts, read 1,321,161 times
Can't say what your weeds are, but the remedy is to get down on your knees and pull them. There is no other choice, unless you have nothing of importance in that area, which I'm sure you do, otherwise you would not be asking. (I know it sounds Mean) but there it is.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:35 PM

253 posts, read 164,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Can't say what your weeds are, but the remedy is to get down on your knees and pull them. There is no other choice, unless you have nothing of importance in that area, which I'm sure you do, otherwise you would not be asking. (I know it sounds Mean) but there it is.
Thanks for the response. I did pull the weeds on the flower beds. I can't pull them on the lawn.

Old 06-02-2019, 08:46 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,343,219 times
Weed-B-Gone. Dig them out with a digger. You can do that in a lawn.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:26 AM

3,829 posts, read 4,496,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartdurhamnc View Post
Anything but roundup
I think any broad leaf killer with 2-4-D, such as Weed-B-Gone should work. It won't kill the grass, but could temporarily injure some warm season grasses.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:30 PM

4,990 posts, read 6,673,263 times
The first is a type of grass but I can't remember the name. Its a spreader so get it out when small. Hard to get roots sometimes. I think the second is cudweed. Get it out before it goes to seed.

As others mentioned, weed killer should work. Good luck. My war on weeds continues!

Old 06-03-2019, 08:57 PM

40,388 posts, read 49,962,291 times
Try round-down, spray it on weeds watch them go down fast.

Interesting read...
2-4-D: The Most Dangerous Pesticide You've Never Heard Of.
This toxic herbicide comes with known health risks, but it's still being used on crops, in parks, and maybe even in your own backyard.
https://www.nrdc.org/stories/24-d-mo...ve-never-heard

Old 06-05-2019, 08:35 AM

6 posts, read 1,940 times
Do you know what really works to get rid of the weeds? Aerating, improving the soils, and planting proper species of grass seed in the early spring or early fall. State extension offices are great resources to help you improve soil and choose the correct grass species. You will find that it will crowd out most weeds.

I use zero chemicals on the lawn and have crowded out most of the weeds with grass. My lawn looks better than the neighbors' chemical mess.

I didn't use any special high end coated grass seed either. Just properly selected bare seed from Agway, applied at the proper time of year, and over freshly aerated surfaces.

Cutting the grass to the correct height also helps. Dont scalp it!

Old 06-06-2019, 03:46 PM

821 posts, read 1,156,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartdurhamnc View Post
Hello,

How do i kill these weeds without killing my lawn and what do you call them?
Anything but roundup
If your against using roundup or any other chemicals, good old fashioned dirty elbows will get rid of them...over time. As others have said, getting down to the weed's level and pulling, raking, or digging them out. If these are on your lawn, spread some lawn seed.

Nothing kills weeds better than consistency.

Old 06-07-2019, 05:07 PM

12,039 posts, read 17,072,342 times

And I know how well it workd. When we bought our now rental, lawn was infested with dandelions in HUGE patches. Every time I return hom, still in casual professional, I'd grab that thing and go do patch at a time. We literally got rid of all of them. And I am referring to horse acre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden