U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 10:38 PM

15,870 posts, read 32,927,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
Trust me, I did extensive research on crawlspaces (I'm an engineer). The preferred method, at least in the humid south, is to encapsulate and dehumidify or condition the space. Mine was a moldy mess when we bought the place. I had a floor liner put in, removed the waterlogged fiberglass insulation in the floor joists, sealed up all the vents, added 2 HVAC drops (ductwork is in the attic), and installed a dehumidifier. The RH went from 70-80% to 50% and my wood floors stopped buckling.
I went a different route with mine. I had the underside of my floors sprayed with closed cell foam, in addition to putting down a poly liner and installing crawlspace fans. No idea what the RH is now, but the damp musty smell is gone.

Anyways, for shutters I highly recommend a SW color called ‘Inkwell’. I used it on a house I recently remodeled and got a lot of compliments on it. It looks black sometimes, but when the right light hits it you can see it’s really navy blue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 08:08 AM

1,357 posts, read 941,390 times
That Inkwell color looks very nice! I'll have to get a sample. Thanks.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:16 AM

2,075 posts, read 801,281 times
Considerations regarding the shutters. Everyone has their quirks. Here's one of mine.

Someone commented on width. I notice when shutters are obviously too narrow to be closed over the window they serve. Yes, of course most shutters these days are only decorative and will never be closed over their windows. Consider whether it would bother you in the back of your mind to have the width unrealistically narrow. So that it's more of a border than a shutter.

HOWever, there is the real consideration of space to work with.

The ones on the right appear narrow but they seem like they could actually be the width of the narrow windows on each side of the large window.

Perhaps similar with the window on the right. The double windows....

Old 06-09-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
Considerations regarding the shutters. Everyone has their quirks. Here's one of mine.

Someone commented on width. I notice when shutters are obviously too narrow to be closed over the window they serve. Yes, of course most shutters these days are only decorative and will never be closed over their windows. Consider whether it would bother you in the back of your mind to have the width unrealistically narrow. So that it's more of a border than a shutter.

HOWever, there is the real consideration of space to work with.

The ones on the right appear narrow but they seem like they could actually be the width of the narrow windows on each side of the large window.

Perhaps similar with the window on the right. The double windows....
I'm trying to decide whether to work with the shutters that are here now or to get new ones. The shutters on the right could definitely be wider. The ones on the left are the right width (more or less), but too long. Fortunately, they're in the shade and largely blocked by trees and not really a focal point.

I was a little surprised at the cost of new shutters, so I think initially I'll try painting the existing ones and see if that works. At least I can see if the color scheme works or not.

Old 06-09-2019, 02:07 PM

18,629 posts, read 24,716,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I went a different route with mine. I had the underside of my floors sprayed with closed cell foam, in addition to putting down a poly liner and installing crawlspace fans. No idea what the RH is now, but the damp musty smell is gone.

Anyways, for shutters I highly recommend a SW color called ‘Inkwell’. I used it on a house I recently remodeled and got a lot of compliments on it. It looks black sometimes, but when the right light hits it you can see it’s really navy blue.
Wow, I love that color!

Old 06-09-2019, 02:22 PM

OP, I was thinking of your thread when I was walking my dog this morning, looking at the different plants in my neighborhood and the agapanthus have all started blooming. I was thinking they might look nice in your plantings. They come in both white and blue, and with the "inkwell" colored shutters, the blue agapanthus might be a really pretty compliment. They do best in full sun and will grow in pots or in the ground. They might look nice under your palms.

https://www.google.com/search?q=agap...w=1440&bih=748

Another ground cover that's pretty with blue star-shaped flowers, but will grow low to the ground usually, is periwinkle or vinca minor:

https://www.tnnursery.net/vinca-minor-for-sale/

Old 06-09-2019, 02:53 PM

39,068 posts, read 48,017,006 times
I agree about the shutters. It’s a pet peeve of mine, so I’d take them down. They don’t belong.

I absolutely love the fan palm tucked in by the steps. I think it’s perfect there.

I also agree with the poster who suggested making the bed in front about twice as deep. Those shrubs are too close to the foundation.

I’d vary the height of the foundation plantings. You need some taller plants here and there. I’d need to spend more time making a plan, but some plants you could consider are Japanese maple, snowball viburnum, hollies and camellia. Once you get the bare bones and structure of the garden you can plant some perennials.

Very cute house!

Old 06-09-2019, 03:52 PM

I really don't have a problem with how shallow the bed is in front of the house. Why make more work for yourself? When I was walking the dog earlier and looking at plantings around the mostly business and apartment buildings around where I live, they keep it simple and it looks classy - short beds next to the building, mostly with plantings of star jasmine just straight across the entire building, or with a shrub interspersed and the jasmine all the way across and under the shrubs or agapanthus type plants, and in front of the short bed they otherwise just have lawns to the sidewalk, so it's easy to take care of and cheap to hire someone else to take care of, too. And with a short bed, you can easily reach all the way to the back if you need to weed it, etc.

I also think the house would look too plain without the shutters, and I really don't even see anything wrong with the shutters on the end window. I just don't even see any flaw at all with it.

Maybe it's my age and my experience having to take care of my own yards and acreage when I was younger. Even as an avid gardener who would much rather be in the dirt than in the kitchen, it was a lot of work. I'd keep it simple now.

I love camelias and they have all pretty much just quit blooming here now, but they're super messy and just look bad as the flowers die, in my opinion. You have to be someone who loves going into the yard every day and fussing over the plants and picking up spent blooms if you want camelias to look good.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:24 PM

I really appreciate all the feedback so far! I'm pretty sure I'll pull the bed out maybe 2 feet. That will give me more to work with for adding some variety, plus a bit less lawn to mow.

I'll definitely keep the shutters. I feel like the house needs that detail. I've been looking around my neighborhood at similar houses and black shutters with red brick are the most appealing to me.

Now if only I could decide on some plants...

Old 06-09-2019, 09:48 PM

15,870 posts, read 32,927,769 times
If you like ornamental grass, Fakahatchee grass is a native grass that does very well in the coastal South. I have probably 20 or so in my yard that I have divided over the years. It may even have seeds on it right now, but I’ve been stuck in the house with a broken ankle, so I’m not sure.

I have a lot of Muhly grass too, although it doesn’t do as well in the shade.

I have always liked Japanese Plum Yew every time I see it at nurseries, but I’ve never actually bought any. I like natural looking plants though, I’ve never been into the highly manicured look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or