U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 10:01 PM

25,366 posts, read 16,332,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
Have you thought about extending your planting bed forward? Can you move the azaleas from so close to the house? I don't know if they are old and cut or what.

A grass that does not spread can make a nice border such as non spreading lirope or dwarf mondo grass that spreads but barely and then stops. Then some mulch in front of the bed and less lawn to take care of.
This. Your planting border is too skimpy. Take your photos to a full service nursery, and ask for suggestions for shrubs, rather than perennials. And widen that border, curving it around the window to the porch. You need to frame the window.

Pretty house, by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 08:32 AM

9,026 posts, read 3,312,307 times
How about hydrangeas between the azaleas? hydrangeas and azaleas require pretty much have the same soil requirements, so if your azaleas are thriving there, hydrangeas would too. (I love hydrangeas...they're my favorite flowers).

You could also plant bulbs...it's relatively inexpensive, and you get years and years of enjoyment out of them. Daylilies and astilbe are two of my favorites. Also, I agree that hostas would be gorgeous as well.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:18 AM

42,183 posts, read 16,819,758 times
Try photoshopping shutters painted cream colored. Our brick is similar to yours and a design person suggested we paint our black shutters cream colored and it looks great.

I agree with puling the planting beds out. If you just cut the azaleas down, they will likely grow back. Ours did and look better than ever. Though I will say, I'm losing my enthusiasm for azaleas. They bloom for a week. The rain gets them. They look so, so the rest of the year. But they are evergreen which is nice.

Agree with hydrangeas in front of the azaleas. Limelight is currently my favorite. They start to bloom after the azaleas have faded.

A thick strip of daffodils in front of the hydrangeas with hostas in front of them. As the daffodils fade, the hostas will spread out and cover the wilting daffodil foliage.

Astilbes scattered here and there. Maybe some clumps of the new daylilies in the sunnier spots.

All you'd have to do is clean up the dead foliage in the fall and mulch.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:05 PM

1,357 posts, read 943,457 times
I agree...I'm leaning toward hydrangeas, hostas and daylilies in blues and yellows. The astilbe looks nice and may work to fill in the shaded area on the left.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:38 PM

15,871 posts, read 32,943,261 times
Gold Dust Aucuba is nice for shady areas too.

Old 06-10-2019, 04:14 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,877,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
I agree...I'm leaning toward hydrangeas, hostas and daylilies in blues and yellows. The astilbe looks nice and may work to fill in the shaded area on the left.
I think you've gotten some really good suggestions on here and I like the plants you mentioned above. Please come back and post updated pictures once your new plants get established and are blooming. I love it when people give follow up to threads that I subscribe to and I'm sure others do, too. Most people don't do that, and we're all left wondering.....

As far as your shutters, I do agree that Inkwell is a nice color, but I think that it might just end up looking like you have black shutters, but maybe not. I think a color like that, with subtle changes due to lighting would work better in an inside environment, but not outside. New shutters are ridiculously expensive, as you already said. I think that your idea of painting them and seeing how they look is better than buying new ones. The ones next to your big picture window in front look too small to me, so it might be worth buying new and bigger ones for that one window.

I think that your house would look good with the shutters and the front door painted the same color, or at least something other than white for the front door.

I recently painted my shutters. They were a dark green, very similar to the color that yours are. Just about everyone in my neighborhood has those same color shutters and I wanted something different, so I painted mine a dark blue. My house has light yellow aluminum siding, so it's very different from your brick, so I don't know if a dark blue would work for you. I do like the suggestion that someone (maybe it was you - lol) made about using photoshop to check and compare different colors. That's always fun!

Best wishes to you on whatever you decide!

Oh, one thing I just thought of - maybe if you choose Inkwell for your shutters, or even if you don't, you might want to consider some kind of uplighting for the front of your house. That might make the Inkwell color or any other color look really good and having uplighting can really enhance the look of a home and it will showcase the plants as well.

Old 06-10-2019, 04:41 PM

5,828 posts, read 5,533,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
Have you thought about extending your planting bed forward? Can you move the azaleas from so close to the house? I don't know if they are old and cut or what.

A grass that does not spread can make a nice border such as non spreading lirope or dwarf mondo grass that spreads but barely and then stops. Then some mulch in front of the bed and less lawn to take care of.
This is what i was going to say! I think you did the right thing taking out every other azalea. If the remaining ones are mature, you should research carefully how to prune them (NOT with hedge trimmers)
https://www.southernliving.com/home-...a-pruning-tips They look a little unnatural. If they aren't very old you could move them forward as was suggested.

While you are at Southern Living.com, browse around. I have always found them to be a great resource and now that I've returned to Zone 8 that will be my go-to source.

Anywhoo, pets and gardens is correct in that you need to make your beds deeper...I can't really tell but 6 feet from the edge to the house is not too much. Pish posh to the person who said that was too much work. Once you put it all in, it's easier to care for than mowing and a lot more rewarding than grass.

Camelias, Gardenias, hydrangeas, delphiniums, and of course put in some bulbs. And maybe a couple of other evergreens. I love acuba also! have fun!

Old 06-10-2019, 07:13 PM

18,629 posts, read 24,733,112 times
My mom was super thrifty, but she did spend money on a landscape artist (not sure of the exact title) to plan out our yards when we moved or she bought a new house (after we left). Then, she would buy the plants and do the work herself with family members or hired help.

It might be worth the money to hire a professional for some ideas. A local would know what would work well with your soil, environment, sun/shade, etc.

Old 06-11-2019, 03:47 AM

42,183 posts, read 16,819,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
My mom was super thrifty, but she did spend money on a landscape artist (not sure of the exact title) to plan out our yards when we moved or she bought a new house (after we left). Then, she would buy the plants and do the work herself with family members or hired help.

It might be worth the money to hire a professional for some ideas. A local would know what would work well with your soil, environment, sun/shade, etc.
I highly recommend this.

After tracking down the landscape designer who put together several yards that I admired, we hired him to do ours.

Within our budget he designed the garden beds, installed the drainage, the stonework, and the trees. We planted the rest based on his design.

We were finally able to achieve what we had been trying to for years. Well worth the money.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:03 PM

1,357 posts, read 943,457 times
I'll be talking to a few landscape designers over the next couple of weeks to get pricing and some firmed up layout drawings. I'll definitely keep this thread updated, but this project will be a work in progress for at least a couple of months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or