U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 11:39 PM

2,079 posts, read 806,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
I'll be talking to a few landscape designers over the next couple of weeks to get pricing and some firmed up layout drawings. I'll definitely keep this thread updated, but this project will be a work in progress for at least a couple of months.
Looking forward to hearing about it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 03:49 AM

42,202 posts, read 16,859,952 times
Quote:
I'll be talking to a few landscape designers over the next couple of weeks to get pricing and some firmed up layout drawings. I'll definitely keep this thread updated, but this project will be a work in progress for at least a couple of months.

May want to ask about Viburnums. Can't believe I didn't know about these native shrubs until two years ago. Our landscape designer introduced us to them and now I love them.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:01 AM

39,132 posts, read 48,098,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

May want to ask about Viburnums. Can't believe I didn't know about these native shrubs until two years ago. Our landscape designer introduced us to them and now I love them.
Me too. There are so many varieties. I just lost a rhododendron by my front door and am planning to replace it with a viburnum that flowers all summer. They’re awesome.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:10 AM

1,915 posts, read 745,645 times
Viburnums are easy and pretty shrubs, great suggestions. Since azaleas love acid soil, rhododendrons or camellias would be a good choice or mountain laurel. Or for summer color, how about hydrangeas, they are easy to grow and great summer bloomers. I have a couple in pots and am experimenting with neutral soil to turn the blooms purple. Acid soil will turn them blue. A small red Japanese maple would go nicely if you extend the bed.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:02 AM

571 posts, read 308,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
As far as changing the shutters I'm not sure whether you're actually talking about replacing them or just painting; they are very narrow for the house but that may be due to very limited clearance for the one next to the bump out. Those will always be in the shadows but the ones framing the big window just look odd. If you only change that pair make sure you match the style and the frame thicknesses and locations to those that will remain.
I agree that the shutters on the large/main front window look too narrow. Another thing that looks odd to my eye (and I notice it all the time...it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine! ) are shutters that are too tall and/or are hung too low. In my opinion, yours are both.

I would replace all of your shutters with ones where the bottom edges do not extend below the top edge of the brick "shelf" below the windows, and the top edges of the shutters do not extend higher than the top of the window frame. When they're hung too low, to me, shutters look like a sad face on the front of your house, like this: .

As for shutter width, as pointed out above, it looks like you're limited on the windows on the left side, and that's fine. But for the large/main front window, each shutter should be about the width of each outer pane & frame (as if, when closed, they would cover the glass & frame of those outer windows).

Style-wise, I'd prefer a board & batten style shutter. With your brick color and your white trim, I agree with another poster who said black shutters would look classy and give a nice contrast. Add to that a black front door for a classic look, or maybe even an accent color (as long as it doesn't clash with your brick & roof color) if you want something bolder.

Shutters are pretty inexpensive, and you can order custom sizes on-line. And if you go with a standard color (like black), it'll certainly be easier than painting your existing shutters.

Try to remember to post back with your "after" pictures. It'll be fun to see whatever changes you decide upon.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:38 PM

39,132 posts, read 48,098,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
I agree that the shutters on the large/main front window look too narrow. Another thing that looks odd to my eye (and I notice it all the time...it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine! ) are shutters that are too tall and/or are hung too low. In my opinion, yours are both.

I would replace all of your shutters with ones where the bottom edges do not extend below the top edge of the brick "shelf" below the windows, and the top edges of the shutters do not extend higher than the top of the window frame. When they're hung too low, to me, shutters look like a sad face on the front of your house, like this: .

As for shutter width, as pointed out above, it looks like you're limited on the windows on the left side, and that's fine. But for the large/main front window, each shutter should be about the width of each outer pane & frame (as if, when closed, they would cover the glass & frame of those outer windows).

Style-wise, I'd prefer a board & batten style shutter. With your brick color and your white trim, I agree with another poster who said black shutters would look classy and give a nice contrast. Add to that a black front door for a classic look, or maybe even an accent color (as long as it doesn't clash with your brick & roof color) if you want something bolder.

Shutters are pretty inexpensive, and you can order custom sizes on-line. And if you go with a standard color (like black), it'll certainly be easier than painting your existing shutters.

Try to remember to post back with your "after" pictures. It'll be fun to see whatever changes you decide upon.
Well, I sure must disagree. Having a shutter too high or low is much less egregious than slapping a narrow shutter on either side of a double window, or picture window. A shutter must be as wide as 1/2 the width of the window and a height of inside the window frame, or it looks ridiculous. I also disagree that shutters are inexpensive, unless you’re talking an 18” strip of plastic. Unless you can make board and batten yourself, wood shutters are at least $300.+ per window.

We all have our hang ups, and apparently there is just me and two other people in the world who can’t tolerate incorrect shutters. The first thing we did after we moved here was rip down the shutters and put up wood ones which actually close when a hurricane is coming......which is a couple times a year in coastal GA.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:45 PM

15,879 posts, read 32,965,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

Some viburnums are native and others aren’t. Many are Asian.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:05 PM

2,722 posts, read 939,284 times
Quote:
I'm looking to add some curb appeal to the front of my house. Right now it has a hedge of azaleas and some very simple underplanting (not sure what the plant is called). I recently cut back every other azalea with the thought of putting some different shrubs in between and/or some flowering perennials. I haven't actually removed the stumps yet, in case I change my mind.

Some pertinent info:
Coastal SC, zone 8
Changing the shutters is an option, but repainting the trim is not.
The area gets partial sun and the soil is sandy and well draining.
The palm tree on the right and the mature camellia on the left have to stay.
Low maintenance is important.
Budget is flexible but not extravagant.

I'd love to hear any advice or suggestions for seasonal pops of color and year round visual interest. I'd prefer to keep at least a couple of the azaleas. The flowers are a beautiful pink and it's kind of a rite of spring around here.
Several members have recommended viburnums and I love them, have at least 3 different varieties of them and propagate them, however in your case, you need something much lower. Many viburnums will quickly reach eight feet and keep going in a short timeframe.

I would recommend spirea since there are many varieties, many of which would work in your case, many different colors, they are hardy and flower for a long time.

You could also prune and shape the azalea’s to keep them below the bottom of the window s and if done at the right time, it will not the next year’s flowers. Always lower shrubs in the front and progressively taller to the rear. Seems like you have a frame to work with, it just needs to be filled in and perhaps an irregular shaped Ben in the front, if you know what I mean.

Last edited by Rickcin; 06-13-2019 at 02:15 PM..

Old 06-15-2019, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Some viburnums are native and others aren’t. Many are Asian.
You're right.

We have a Korean Spice viburnum that a heavenly scent when it blooms mid spring. Supposed to get about 5 ft. tall.

Old 06-15-2019, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Several members have recommended viburnums and I love them, have at least 3 different varieties of them and propagate them, however in your case, you need something much lower. Many viburnums will quickly reach eight feet and keep going in a short timeframe.

I would recommend spirea since there are many varieties, many of which would work in your case, many different colors, they are hardy and flower for a long time.

You could also prune and shape the azalea’s to keep them below the bottom of the window s and if done at the right time, it will not the next year’s flowers. Always lower shrubs in the front and progressively taller to the rear. Seems like you have a frame to work with, it just needs to be filled in and perhaps an irregular shaped Ben in the front, if you know what I mean.
Spirea are good. So are azaleas.

I wouldn't rule out viburnums. There are dwarf varieties, such as Viburnum opulus ‘Nanum’, which are under 3 feet.

https://www.finegardening.com/articl...rsatile-shrubs

We have several lacecap viburnums that I wonder if they'll ever get to be three foot tall.

Our Korean Spice is supposed to reach 5 or 6 ft. Spring Bouquets are supposed to get 6 ft.

https://www.gardenersworld.com/plant...rnums-to-grow/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or