Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 11:23 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,324,068 times

Advertisements

Hey, bird!
Thanks for the photo.
I got here late- your question is already answered!
People are right- you can kill a plant with “ kindness” - too much water is more likely to kill the plant than occasional drought -the tree roots need air to breathe- you are drowning your tree- you have to let the soil dry out before watering again.

You said that you added compost- bad idea for a potted tree.
Avocado can grow big- if you don’t have a warm climate- you have to keep it in the pot and move it inside and learn to prune it properly eventually.
I would buy a fast draining soil for indoor plants.
Remove all the soil from your pot and re- plant your avocado in a new soil.
Make sure there is a drainage holes at the bottom of the pot- so excess water can drain out.
Ideally the tree is better to grow outside- it depends on your climate- it will be very difficult to maintain the tree outside in the summer and indoors in winter.
Few links for you to learn more
Avocado General Information
https://www.californiaavocado.com/av...n-avocado-tree
https://www.pennington.com/all-produ...n-avocado-tree
http://www.tropicamango.com/avocado.html#3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 03:05 AM

859 posts, read 705,603 times
oldgardener
RocketDawg
wit-nit
Nik4me

Thanks all for your answers and thank you very much for the info & links Nik4me.

-Yes, I put the plant at a pretty much light place, but the window is close. Because when it was at water, it got one thick root without a stem. So, I decided to transfer it into the soil. Once I put it there, the stem started growing but without leaves. The place was a little bit dark so I noticed that the stem started going to the source of light, it became like a curve. So I re-placed it at a pretty much light place so that the sunlight can reach to the plant and I left it there. When I set it there, the leaves started growing pretty well until getting to that condition.

-Never thought of water not to be enough. Although, I don't think so, but when I read in the links Nik4me provided, it's stated that young avocado trees tend not to absorb water well. So, maybe. But if this were the case, it should have affected the leaves' color. The leaves are still green not brown or yellow.

-Regarding the yellow object: The yellow object is the seed; the most important thing.
When you open an avocado fruit, you will find a brown seed inside. The brown color is just a thin crust/cover/skin, you can remove it easily, when you remove it, you will find the seed like the picture. It's NOT PRETTY yellow in reality. The actual color is light, it looks like page & creamy color. It may look a light yellow after months of planting.

-About the outside brown cover: it said, this cover is playing a role on growing. It affects on a plant growing process. I read that removing it makes the growing of a plant slow while others say, removing it will make growing faster; I had removed it before reading that. I don't know which one is right but I tend to believe that this brown cover somehow is really affect growing, especially when the weather's cold, I think this will help the seed to stay warm; so it might have been better if I didn't remove it when the seed was at water.

-Side Note: Whether you start planting from water or soil, the seed always needs to be set like the picture. Half of it in the soil/water, and the other half towards air. But be careful not to set the seed on the wrong side; one part of the seed is identified for the stem and the other one for the root. Otherwise, you may end up with stem & root going to the same direction (it happened with me with the other seed).

-The pot has big holes at the bottom.

-I put the plant in a big pot in order not to find myself need to transfer it into a bigger pot at short period of times, so that I could avoid a 'transition shock'. Otherwise I really would like to change the pot not only for the soil but for a new pot. So, for now I'll not add water until make sure of the inside not to be wet, if the situation is constant, not develop into something else, I'll leave the plant until getting a little bit bigger and stronger so that I can consider changing the soil and pot.

Thanks again for your interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden