U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 01:52 PM

39,094 posts, read 48,037,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Centipede does not like a lot of nitrogen. Perhaps that, combined with the herbicide in the ‘weed n feed’ was enough to cause decline.

https://extension.uga.edu/publicatio...rass%20Decline
Perhaps, but we use Scott’s for Southern Grass, just x1 in the spring, so it should be the correct flavor for centipede.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 03:06 PM

1,453 posts, read 994,934 times
Nik4me has an excellent point - overselling. I do it every 2-4 years. I deep core the lawn and then overseed. In souther NJ second week in Sept is optimal as soil temp is up for quick germination and lawn has a few months to establish itself before winter.

Old 06-08-2019, 03:19 PM

15,871 posts, read 32,938,050 times
Try the method listed here to check for chinch bugs.

https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/chinch-bug-in-turf

Old 06-09-2019, 08:23 AM

8,507 posts, read 11,412,467 times
G- do you all do your own lawns or is the lawn cut by one company for those impacted? If, the latter, perhaps a bug that was carried by the landscaper company. We had a weedy, albeit green lawn when we moved in and started to have it cut by a company. We had don't a pretty good job of eliminating the vast percentage of the weeds and suddenly we had bent grass. We finally realized it was the gift that kept on giving across all who used the same company.

Doesn't tell you what it is, but it might be part of the puzzle.

Old 06-09-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
G- do you all do your own lawns or is the lawn cut by one company for those impacted? If, the latter, perhaps a bug that was carried by the landscaper company. We had a weedy, albeit green lawn when we moved in and started to have it cut by a company. We had don't a pretty good job of eliminating the vast percentage of the weeds and suddenly we had bent grass. We finally realized it was the gift that kept on giving across all who used the same company.

Doesn't tell you what it is, but it might be part of the puzzle.
That’s a good theory, but most of us do our own grass. There are a conspicuous few neighbors whose lawns don’t seem to have it, so maybe they did something we didn’t.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:25 PM

I contacted the county extension service. The man called back today, and he thinks the spots were caused by the drought. It does seem to be a bit better now, since we’ve had a week of rain.

He said to check back in 2 weeks and report how it’s doing. If not improved, he will make suggestions.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:01 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,096,279 times
Do those neighbors who don’t have this issue, have irrigation systems (assuming those who have this issue don’t)?

If it’s fungus. If it’s disease. If it’s bugs.... it’s all fixable with a bag of Caravan G by Syngenta. One bag covers about 5,000 SF, and it only takes one bag to basically eradicate all the bad things in your lawn. It is pro level, golf course loved. Can buy it on amazon or call your local professional nursery. Here in VA, I get it from Southern States Co-op for about $65 a bag. Only need it once a year...

Old 06-14-2019, 05:14 AM

12,569 posts, read 22,530,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I contacted the county extension service. The man called back today, and he thinks the spots were caused by the drought. It does seem to be a bit better now, since we’ve had a week of rain.

He said to check back in 2 weeks and report how it’s doing. If not improved, he will make suggestions.
Thanks for updating

Old 06-14-2019, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Do those neighbors who don’t have this issue, have irrigation systems (assuming those who have this issue don’t)?

If it’s fungus. If it’s disease. If it’s bugs.... it’s all fixable with a bag of Caravan G by Syngenta. One bag covers about 5,000 SF, and it only takes one bag to basically eradicate all the bad things in your lawn. It is pro level, golf course loved. Can buy it on amazon or call your local professional nursery. Here in VA, I get it from Southern States Co-op for about $65 a bag. Only need it once a year...
I suspect the one unscathed lawn does have irrigation, although I’m not sure. Plenty of neighbors do, but not sure how much they use it. For example, our neighbors across the street have it, but they spend summers at another house, so I haven’t seen it running.

I’m hoping it’s lack of water and not something requiring chemicals.

Old 06-14-2019, 03:03 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,096,279 times
I see coastal GA. Is this a new build house? I ask because of possibility that there is construction debris under those areas whereby the sun is basically cooking the roots. I’ve seen this happen quite often where contractors don’t exactly clean up the lot very well prior to rolling the sod, and/or don’t use a top coat of dirt to install the sod on. Pretty common hiccup sometimes with new builds. Long shot, but figured I’d ask.

You’ll know soon enough if it’s just drought/heat damage or a fungus/disease/bug attack. If the latter, it’ll spread quickly and take out the lawn. I know you don’t want to use chemicals, nobody does. But think of it like this - you can’t fix pneumonia with just warm tea and honey.. if it is a disease or fungus, it’ll need medicine to correct.

In reality, stuff like the caravan g is actually better to use instead of going to big box store. It’s a one time application, not a few. And it’s a granular and not a spray (sprays are susceptible to wind when applied and tend to wash off instead of dissolve in).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden