Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 12:40 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times

Advertisements

I tried to grow pole beans without success. I germinate the seed indoor and when they are a little bigger, when the tentacles started growing, I move them outdoors. But the problem is they can not stand the sun! Pretty soon the sun dried the leaves and they are dead. I even cover them with gallon-size water bottles then cover the bottle with a 70% shade clothes, they still got fried by the sun.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 12:57 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
It could possibly be bacterial, or caused by insects or nematodes, rather than the sun. Those things can turn bean leaves brown.

If it is the sun, how often are you watering them? Is the soil moist, or dry?

Old 06-08-2019, 01:11 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,718 times
Plant the seeds in the garden where you want them. There is no reason to start them indoors. Beans are very fast growers and do not need to be transplanted.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
It could possibly be bacterial, or caused by insects or nematodes, rather than the sun. Those things can turn bean leaves brown.

If it is the sun, how often are you watering them? Is the soil moist, or dry?
Oh I water them at least once a day, if not twice, so it's not for the lack of water. They grew vigorously indoor but once out in the sun, it's like facing death rays.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:17 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
Beans like sunshine, and since they're getting enough water, I'd check for disease, insects, etc.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Plant the seeds in the garden where you want them. There is no reason to start them indoors. Beans are very fast growers and do not need to be transplanted.
I am going to try this. I sowed seeds outdoors for Bush beans and 4 of them sprouted (out of 10). They struggled for awhile but then perked up and growing healthy.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:44 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
You need to sow them outdoors, they should not be moved once planted. Beans are the easiest thing to grow, no problem whatsoever.

Old 06-08-2019, 08:29 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
You need to sow them outdoors, they should not be moved once planted. Beans are the easiest thing to grow, no problem whatsoever.
That.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:50 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I tried to grow pole beans without success. I germinate the seed indoor and when they are a little bigger, when the tentacles started growing, I move them outdoors. But the problem is they can not stand the sun! Pretty soon the sun dried the leaves and they are dead. I even cover them with gallon-size water bottles then cover the bottle with a 70% shade clothes, they still got fried by the sun.

Any suggestions?
Plant the beans outside and let them germinate there. Do NOT cover them with water bottles, that just fries them even worse, it's like putting something under a magnifying glass under the full sun, you steam-cook it just like steaming something inside an oven.

You're on the west coast aren't you? Keep in mind that UV rays are getting more and more intense on the west coast with each passing year and are having a more damaging effect on many types of plants and trees now that never used to have a problem with full sun in the past.

As an experiment you could also try planting some beans in part sun/part shade where you are and see what happens.

Last year I planted a bunch of different types of runner beans in early spring in several locations and the ones that were planted in full sun got UV burned and didn't grow well at all and they died without producing anything. But the ones that were in dappled part sun/part shade all day kept on growing longer and longer along the fence lines and continued producing flowers and beans until the end of November. The bean plants then died back by the 3rd week in December when we were only getting 5 - 6 hours daily of sunlight by then.

Old 06-09-2019, 12:35 AM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Sounds like you moved them all at once from gentle indoor light to harsh outdoor light.

When moving plants to brighter light, you have to do it gradually, increasing the light levels over the course of several days. So start in shade, move to filtered sun for a couple days at least, then to a sunnier spot...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden