Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 11:56 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
Has anyone made the connection that California lunacy is driving manufacturers away from selling to Americans? If it weren't for California's CARB laws we wouldn't have tiny engines on lawn equipment that force consumers to rethink battery powered options, and the dumbing down of things like strimmers where a safety blade prevents string from endangering some idiot snowflake.
I have actually noticed the gas engines are getting bigger. I remember back in the 80’s using lawn tractors with an 11hp engine. Today most are 18hp minimum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 07:30 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,554,833 times
...and cue the Tim the Toolman grunt! Ohohoh!!

Hey, I’m all for electric mowers! Little annoys more than listening to lawn equipment on an otherwise peaceful Sunday afternoon here in burbsville. But if it’s not drilling rigs and gas refineries, then it’s cave mining and the like. Nothing comes for free.

But my only question about the electric riding mower - does it have an “insane” mode that goes from unmowed to mowed, bagged, and back to my beer in 2.94 seconds? Ha!!

Old 06-12-2019, 10:39 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,424,223 times
Very cool...My objection to it is the same as any ZTR...which is to say that I think they're great for football field/fairway-esque expanses but the more you need to maneuver the less the benefit as they tear up turf.

Old 06-15-2019, 05:02 PM

346 posts, read 358,361 times
I have a 1995 Gravely two wheel tractor. It has a 12hp Kohler engine with 428 hours since new. I call it the Swiss Army Knife of tractors with 8 attachments I can put on it. It was the original zero turn mower when new. It's not electric, but I suspect it will be my last tractor for my four acre farm. I do all my snow removal, garden plowing and lawn mowing with this one machine. One engine to maintain is so easy for me. When it's 20 below zero up here in northern NH those batteries won't work too well.

Old 06-15-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativenewenglander View Post
I have a 1995 Gravely two wheel tractor. It has a 12hp Kohler engine with 428 hours since new. I call it the Swiss Army Knife of tractors with 8 attachments I can put on it. It was the original zero turn mower when new. It's not electric, but I suspect it will be my last tractor for my four acre farm. I do all my snow removal, garden plowing and lawn mowing with this one machine. One engine to maintain is so easy for me. When it's 20 below zero up here in northern NH those batteries won't work too well.
Me too. Mine is a 1982 model. I completely tore it down, repainted it, put on new decals two years ago. I paid $800 for it. That Kohler K301 may not have but 12hp, but the low rpm torque is amazing.

Here it is after I was done.
Attached Thumbnails
World first ELECTRIC ZTR-ee28dfde-af84-4edd-86f0-1deea0507c50.jpeg  

Old 06-16-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Me too. Mine is a 1982 model. I completely tore it down, repainted it, put on new decals two years ago. I paid $800 for it. That Kohler K301 may not have but 12hp, but the low rpm torque is amazing.

Here it is after I was done.
Nice job! It looks like new. I have the 30" brush mower using it to mow three acres of field every two or three years. It's beast and will cut one inch trees as you know. I picked up an almost new 50 mower locally last year, then sold off the two older spares. My tractor has the steering brake which is handy for mowing around all the shrubs and gardens. It's still a bit to handle as one local guy said to me, "those Gravely's can beat you up". I have to say its certainly true when I do the brush mowing. Cheers!

Old 06-16-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativenewenglander View Post
Nice job! It looks like new. I have the 30" brush mower using it to mow three acres of field every two or three years. It's beast and will cut one inch trees as you know. I picked up an almost new 50 mower locally last year, then sold off the two older spares. My tractor has the steering brake which is handy for mowing around all the shrubs and gardens. It's still a bit to handle as one local guy said to me, "those Gravely's can beat you up". I have to say its certainly true when I do the brush mowing. Cheers!
Yeah my only complaint is that it doesn’t have positive traction, so when one wheel falls into a hole or something the whole thing will want to spin around. If I’m using it in areas like that I have take it slow and hold on tight.

It’s getting time for a new heavy brush blade, but they seem really hard to find. Richard’s Lawn & Garden in WV is the only place I know of that sells parts for them.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Yeah my only complaint is that it doesn’t have positive traction, so when one wheel falls into a hole or something the whole thing will want to spin around. If I’m using it in areas like that I have take it slow and hold on tight.

It’s getting time for a new heavy brush blade, but they seem really hard to find. Richard’s Lawn & Garden in WV is the only place I know of that sells parts for them.
I have not needed a new blade just yet, but for all but the last few years I owned the Gravely I had a farm tractor and a 5' brush hog as we had 53 acres on our former farm property. Richards seems to be a good resource, but otherwise there are few parts around. I run chains year round on my gravely it never gets stuck and I cut some steep hills. Our house is the go to place for winter sledders, so you know its hilly. It became a much more useful machine with the chains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden