U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-11-2019, 12:27 PM
 
Location: SoCal
5,272 posts, read 9,163,873 times
Reputation: 4205

Advertisements

I have a volunteer growing in my backyard. I suspected it's a fruit tree left by the precious home owner but just not sure what it is. Can you identify?

I suspect it could be almond tree.
Attached Thumbnails
Another plant identification post!!-20190611_112540.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-11-2019, 09:59 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ~🌄 ☀️ ♥ 🍁 ♥ ☀️🌄~
8,690 posts, read 7,435,534 times
Reputation: 18057
It sure looks healthy and robust. How tall and spread out is it? I suspect it could be an almond OR a peach. If nobody else can give a positive ID you may have to wait until it produces mature fruits.

This is a coincidence that you would post this now. Last week I found a small, healthy tree in an old abandoned lot nearby and it has leaves and stems identical to what you have there. It also has immature, green fuzzy coated fruits on it that are identical both inside and outside right now to both fuzzy green almonds and fuzzy green peaches and the leaves on it are also identical to both of those species. So I still don't know if it's one or the other and now I'm going to be keeping an eye on it through summer to see if the fruits mature so I'll know whether it's an almond or a peach tree. Which ever one it is, I'd like to take some cuttings from it because it appears to be a prolific producer judging by the amount of green fruits on it.


I took pictures, I'll see if I can download them later.


.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2019, 10:34 PM
 
Location: Out there somewhere...a traveling man.
40,416 posts, read 49,998,373 times
Reputation: 113671
There are many species of trees with similar leaf structure, peach, almond, nectarine, ash, etc. As stated above wait until it matures or check with a neighbor or previous owner that may know what was growing there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 08:13 AM
 
Location: SoCal
5,272 posts, read 9,163,873 times
Reputation: 4205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It sure looks healthy and robust. How tall and spread out is it? I suspect it could be an almond OR a peach. If nobody else can give a positive ID you may have to wait until it produces mature fruits.

This is a coincidence that you would post this now. Last week I found a small, healthy tree in an old abandoned lot nearby and it has leaves and stems identical to what you have there. It also has immature, green fuzzy coated fruits on it that are identical both inside and outside right now to both fuzzy green almonds and fuzzy green peaches and the leaves on it are also identical to both of those species. So I still don't know if it's one or the other and now I'm going to be keeping an eye on it through summer to see if the fruits mature so I'll know whether it's an almond or a peach tree. Which ever one it is, I'd like to take some cuttings from it because it appears to be a prolific producer judging by the amount of green fruits on it.

I took pictures, I'll see if I can download them later.
.
It's about 3 ft tall and 2 ft wide now. About a month ago I saw the new leaves coming up so I began to water it and it really took off on growth.

I happen to have a peach and a nectarine tree next to this, and the leaves look slightly different so I doubt it's one of them. You are right, I may have to wait till next year when it bears fruit to find out what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 10:43 AM
 
30,494 posts, read 20,715,439 times
Reputation: 16352
looks like a prunus of some sort cut down to the ground and trying to make a valiant comeback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 12:12 PM
 
2,805 posts, read 1,535,793 times
Reputation: 12114
Fireweed? Goldenrod?



Drop the photo into Pl@ntNet to identify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2019, 06:37 AM
 
42,202 posts, read 16,853,018 times
Reputation: 27521
Anyone know what this plant blooming among the ferns might be.

https://fancydecors.co/2017/12/23/24...-carousel-2137
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2019, 06:49 AM
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
11,639 posts, read 15,271,278 times
Reputation: 27328
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Anyone know what this plant blooming among the ferns might be.

https://fancydecors.co/2017/12/23/24...-carousel-2137
Google seems to think it's something called Astrantia 'Hadspen Blood' (or masterwort)
https://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/as...id.2000024174/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2019, 07:03 AM
 
42,202 posts, read 16,853,018 times
Reputation: 27521
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Google seems to think it's something called Astrantia 'Hadspen Blood' (or masterwort)
https://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/as...id.2000024174/
Thank you!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2019, 07:54 AM
 
Location: SoCal
17,314 posts, read 8,075,308 times
Reputation: 14165
The leaves Look like they come from a nectarine or peach tree, possibly from a fruit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top