U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 07:50 AM

9,356 posts, read 6,993,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
If you came at me with that behavior you’d be receiving a 30 day eviction notice. I don’t put up with tenants telling me how to maintain my property.
Retaliatory evictions are illegal...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 08:09 AM

12,991 posts, read 5,976,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDScoop View Post
I live in an apartment and behind it there is a man-made irrigation ditch. The banks of the irrigation ditch provide a nice natural area for my cats to go into. But the owner of the property management company sprays the area with pesticides. Keep in my mind that the weeds are still there, but now they are DEAD. The building next to ours is managed by a different PMC, and their area stays green. So I ask, what is the purpose of spraying the weeds along the canal behind our units? I called and talked to him, but the guy is combative. He was a jerk.
Your cats are your responsibility. The maintenance person spraying isn't there to make a safe play area for your cats. Keep your cats indoors where they belong and stop complaining.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:24 AM

24,261 posts, read 31,326,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Retaliatory evictions are illegal...

It's not a retaliatory eviction if the tenant is asked to leave because he threatens the landlord or interferes with the maintenance of the property.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:05 AM

9,356 posts, read 6,993,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's not a retaliatory eviction if the tenant is asked to leave because he threatens the landlord or interferes with the maintenance of the property.
But it would be if you asked a tenant to leave for reporting spraying chemicals into the waterways to the County (or whoever regulates it) Environmental Protection folks.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:19 AM

2,314 posts, read 1,071,754 times
Quote:
I live in an apartment and behind it there is a man-made irrigation ditch. The banks of the irrigation ditch provide a nice natural area for my cats to go into. But the owner of the property management company sprays the area with pesticides. Keep in my mind that the weeds are still there, but now they are DEAD. The building next to ours is managed by a different PMC, and their area stays green. So I ask, what is the purpose of spraying the weeds along the canal behind our units? I called and talked to him, but the guy is combative. He was a jerk.
Why are your cats going outside? They belong in your apartment, and nowhere else, unless you have them on a leash. Do you pick up your cat's feces, or leave them for other folks to step in?

Old 06-14-2019, 11:50 AM

6 posts, read 1,949 times
Why do they spray along the irrigation ditch? The same reason why they spray soccer fields where kids play. The same reason why people spray their lawns even though they drink water from a well. The same reason why pesticide applicators commonly mis-apply pesticides. They don't care about what doesn't kill or hurt them immediately, have bought into the marketing falsehoods of pesticides, and there's not enough people who care to call them out on it.

Old 06-14-2019, 12:09 PM

25,571 posts, read 31,703,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
The real question about the cat, since it is going outside, is whether or not it is spayed/neutered. Shelters are already full of unwanted cats (and dogs).
thanks for that bob barker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leN5Vm3qdAY

Old 06-14-2019, 01:14 PM

51 posts, read 91,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingston5821 View Post
Why do they spray along the irrigation ditch? The same reason why they spray soccer fields where kids play. The same reason why people spray their lawns even though they drink water from a well. The same reason why pesticide applicators commonly mis-apply pesticides. They don't care about what doesn't kill or hurt them immediately, have bought into the marketing falsehoods of pesticides, and there's not enough people who care to call them out on it.
Yep, pretty much this unfortunately. Also, a lot of misnomers / general garbage being spewed in this thread. Spraying herbicides right near waterways is never a good idea. Pollutes/poisons the water and it all flows downstream presumably to a drinking source. Sure it's all diluted and won't kill you today or tomorrow, but it all adds up and contributes to health issues and increased cancer rates years down the road.

At the least, keep yourself and cat away from it. At the most, you could try to write a letter or email to property manager stating your concerns and suggesting alternative but from the sounds of it, probably not worth it.

Old 06-14-2019, 03:21 PM

15,879 posts, read 32,965,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingston5821 View Post
You ever heard of mosquitoes? When drainage ditches get choked with vegetation it causes standing water that creates a breeding ground for them.

Ideally drainage ditches would be lined with concrete, but that’s not reality in many areas.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:17 PM

10,337 posts, read 3,565,057 times
Quote:

Spraying the weeds makes the manager look like he is doing something to fulfill his duties. Never mind that it's the wrong thing. When someone doesn't know what the right thing is to do, they may become defensive when criticized. Go over his head and speak with the owners. If they don't care about what he's doing, then move or grin and bear it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or