U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 10:24 AM

8,254 posts, read 4,487,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There are a pretty hefty number of tenants who work very hard to earn disdain.

Interfering with the maintenance of a property and threatening repairmen is rarely going to be well received and honored with great gratitude.

It's generally not a good idea to try to enforce your control issues on your landlord. (or your boss at work, and probably not on the local police)
I don't see anywhere in this thread that anyone threatened any repair people or interfered in any way with maintenance. I did see that the OP asked the landlord's representative about the spraying and another said he would have videotaped a crew engaged in unexplained, possibly unlawful activity. I suppose having the temerity to question the lord of the manor may have been an offense of the grand scale at one time in certain places but those days have been over for a century or more.

It's probably not a good idea for a business operator to threaten his customers or otherwise attempt to enforce his control issues over actions for which he may be on the wrong side of the law. Without knowing what chemicals were used, by whom and how they were applied we don't know if that action was legal according to local, state and federal law; I'm not sure how what people see on television is relevant.

Last edited by kokonutty; 06-18-2019 at 10:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 12:31 PM

8,728 posts, read 7,460,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I was referring to his last sentence: "Many renters don’t know squat about property maintenance, some don’t even know how to operate a lawnmower."

In most cases these are things the tenant pays for in his rent. A landlord should not expect the tenant to be concerned with the landlord's obligations.

I'd have to agree with southernaturelover's statement, it is a correct statement. Most renters don't know anything about property maintenance, they don't even recognize what kind of developing property maintenance problems to watch out for so they can report them to the landlord before a major emergency happens. And most renters don't know how to operate lawnmowers or other maintenance equipment unless they've made a point of renting places where the rental contract states that for a reduced rental rate the tenant will be responsible for all lawn care and yard work.

You are right that a landlord should not expect the tenant to be concerned with the landlord's obligations (for example, it's none of the tenant's concern about what the landlord is spraying on his property unless it's a health hazard).

But there can be exceptions where tenants will have good reasons to want to personally take on certain maintenance obligations. I have known many people who will only rent places where they can have that kind of mutual arrangement with their landlords, myself included.

Every time I've ever rented a city house with lawn/garden space or a farmhouse and acreage I've always arranged for a rental contract whereby for reduced rental rate I am responsible for the yard work/acreage maintenance. I've also arranged to do all interior painting and to attend to any minor repair work, improvements or renovations that is within my capability and any material costs incurred are deducted off my rent when I present the receipts for the materials. If I see a maintenance problem developing that is outside of my capability I immediately inform the landlord so he can inspect it and arrange to have it fixed before it turns into a costly emergency and big repair job for him. If I can't have that kind of rental agreement with a landlord when renting a house then I won't rent it.

I wouldn't do any of the above if living in an apartment building though, except to inform the landlord of developing problems. In an apartment building absolutely everything must be the landlord's obligation and I would never agree to accept any maintenance or repair responsibilities anywhere on the property, not even for really drastically reduced rent or no rent at all.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I'd have to agree with southernaturelover's statement, it is a correct statement. Most renters don't know anything about property maintenance, they don't even recognize what kind of developing property maintenance problems to watch out for so they can report them to the landlord before a major emergency happens. And most renters don't know how to operate lawnmowers or other maintenance equipment unless they've made a point of renting places where the rental contract states that for a reduced rental rate the tenant will be responsible for all lawn care and yard work.

You are right that a landlord should not expect the tenant to be concerned with the landlord's obligations (for example, it's none of the tenant's concern about what the landlord is spraying on his property unless it's a health hazard).

But there can be exceptions where tenants will have good reasons to want to personally take on certain maintenance obligations. I have known many people who will only rent places where they can have that kind of mutual arrangement with their landlords, myself included.

Every time I've ever rented a city house with lawn/garden space or a farmhouse and acreage I've always arranged for a rental contract whereby for reduced rental rate I am responsible for the yard work/acreage maintenance. I've also arranged to do all interior painting and to attend to any minor repair work, improvements or renovations that is within my capability and any material costs incurred are deducted off my rent when I present the receipts for the materials. If I see a maintenance problem developing that is outside of my capability I immediately inform the landlord so he can inspect it and arrange to have it fixed before it turns into a costly emergency and big repair job for him. If I can't have that kind of rental agreement with a landlord when renting a house then I won't rent it.

I wouldn't do any of the above if living in an apartment building though, except to inform the landlord of developing problems. In an apartment building absolutely everything must be the landlord's obligation and I would never agree to accept any maintenance or repair responsibilities anywhere on the property, not even for really drastically reduced rent or no rent at all.

The bolded is the only part that actually stays on topic here and your proviso "unless it's a health hazard" is the key phrase. The OP stated that he simply asked the person in charge what was being sprayed and why because he was concerned about a health hazard. All the rest of the nonsense here came from people threatening eviction and worse for anyone who would dare question the landlord or his minions.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:13 PM

25,609 posts, read 31,736,480 times
Quote:
I don't see anywhere in this thread that anyone threatened any repair people or interfered in any way with maintenance.
i believe someone said that they would videotape workers and send them to some governing authority. i dont believe anyone has suggested that this person has actually violated any regulations so videotaping them and sending it to a governing body is a nuisance.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:32 PM

8,728 posts, read 7,460,254 times
Quote:
The bolded is the only part that actually stays on topic here and your proviso "unless it's a health hazard" is the key phrase. The OP stated that he simply asked the person in charge what was being sprayed and why because he was concerned about a health hazard. All the rest of the nonsense here came from people threatening eviction and worse for anyone who would dare question the landlord or his minions.

Meh. Nonsense is in the eye of the beholder as the beholder wishes to see it and to make an issue of it.

I think this topic has developed into an interesting discussion in spite of the fact that the OP has been banned.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i believe someone said that they would videotape workers and send them to some governing authority. i dont believe anyone has suggested that this person has actually violated any regulations so videotaping them and sending it to a governing body is a nuisance.
The OP and the entire thread is about the legality and health considerations of what was being applied to the weeds. The problem developed when the OP simply asked why the chemical was being used.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:24 PM

25,609 posts, read 31,736,480 times
Quote:
The OP and the entire thread is about the legality and health considerations of what was being applied to the weeds. The problem developed when the OP simply asked why the chemical was being used.
im not exactly sure how this is responsive to my post. the person suggested:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edujop View Post
I would have told him to either stop spraying or you'll video record his maintenance men doing so, and then turn it over to the agency or district that is responsible for the irrigation canal. But that's just me. I don't take any guff.
you cant just tell someone to stop spraying if he isnt violating any regulations. also, videotaping it and sending it to a government agency (when there is probably nothing wrong with what he is doing) is being a nuisance.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:58 PM

15,884 posts, read 32,993,297 times
Quote:
The OP was mad because his/her cat didn’t have any weeds to wander around in. There’s nothing in the OP concerning their health.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The OP was mad because his/her cat didn’t have any weeds to wander around in. There’s nothing in the OP concerning their health.
A lot of people have health concerns about chemical use in the environment. I believe the OP did by their use of emphasis on "DEAD."

Old 06-18-2019, 10:58 PM

18,632 posts, read 24,798,563 times
The OP is no longer a member.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or