U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 08:51 AM

38 posts, read 13,578 times

Advertisements

I live in an apartment and behind it there is a man-made irrigation ditch. The banks of the irrigation ditch provide a nice natural area for my cats to go into. But the owner of the property management company sprays the area with pesticides. Keep in my mind that the weeds are still there, but now they are DEAD. The building next to ours is managed by a different PMC, and their area stays green. So I ask, what is the purpose of spraying the weeds along the canal behind our units? I called and talked to him, but the guy is combative. He was a jerk.

Last edited by CDScoop; 06-12-2019 at 10:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 09:05 AM

7,214 posts, read 8,908,120 times
Maybe he thinks you are combative. It's his responsibility to maintain the area and he is doing it.

Certain herbicides kill plants that would otherwise grow huge and shrubby, even into trees, often not native to the area. Certain plants would grow into the ditch and block it off from water flow. He is only killing off the tops of the plants probably, and new seeds will have a chance to grow.

Insecticides cut down on insects that would swarm into your home. Mosquitos, water bugs, cockroaches, beetles, biting flies.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:42 AM

38 posts, read 13,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Maybe he thinks you are combative. It's his responsibility to maintain the area and he is doing it.

Certain herbicides kill plants that would otherwise grow huge and shrubby, even into trees, often not native to the area. Certain plants would grow into the ditch and block it off from water flow. He is only killing off the tops of the plants probably, and new seeds will have a chance to grow.

Insecticides cut down on insects that would swarm into your home. Mosquitos, water bugs, cockroaches, beetles, biting flies.
Maybe he thinks being YOU'RE being combative. Maybe, but what does that have to do with my question? You weren't listening in on the phone call. You have no idea. For the record, I am exceedingly timid. Please don't be rude by making comments such as this. I didn't ask for your commentary on nature of the phone call, just your opinion about the purpose of spraying. It's really not difficult to be a polite person. Just take a breath and ask yourself, why do I feel the need to say this?

Last edited by CDScoop; 06-12-2019 at 10:02 AM..

Old 06-12-2019, 12:03 PM

8,535 posts, read 11,434,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDScoop View Post
Maybe he thinks being YOU'RE being combative. Maybe, but what does that have to do with my question? You weren't listening in on the phone call. You have no idea. For the record, I am exceedingly timid. Please don't be rude by making comments such as this. I didn't ask for your commentary on nature of the phone call, just your opinion about the purpose of spraying. It's really not difficult to be a polite person. Just take a breath and ask yourself, why do I feel the need to say this?
I believe the point L4H was making was that you stated he was being combative, an observation you made of him. L4H merely stated that MAYBE, he thinks you are being combative. Taking this at face value, you called a MGMT company to inquire (maybe complain) about the use of pesticides. I would guess that you might have stated that the area next door is green as compared to yours and obviously that is your preference. You were essentially challenging his use of pesticides and clearly you disagree.

To the point: The irrigation ditch is not there for your cat to use, it is there to serve as a reservoir for the rain and stormwater. Generally speaking, depending upon the jurisdiction, you may be required to maintain them being weed free, perhaps the next property over is not doing their job and your complex the MGMT company is. In my community we have a company that manages the storm drains, specifically for weeds and invasive plantings that pop up. You seem to be angry that your cat is not able to go to that area, when I am fairly certain that it'a main purpose is not to serve your cat. For the record, and I can only based this upon your two posts - you seem to be the combative one, at least from my POV.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:53 PM

184 posts, read 193,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I believe the point L4H was making was that you stated he was being combative, an observation you made of him. L4H merely stated that MAYBE, he thinks you are being combative. Taking this at face value, you called a MGMT company to inquire (maybe complain) about the use of pesticides. I would guess that you might have stated that the area next door is green as compared to yours and obviously that is your preference. You were essentially challenging his use of pesticides and clearly you disagree.

To the point: The irrigation ditch is not there for your cat to use, it is there to serve as a reservoir for the rain and stormwater. Generally speaking, depending upon the jurisdiction, you may be required to maintain them being weed free, perhaps the next property over is not doing their job and your complex the MGMT company is. In my community we have a company that manages the storm drains, specifically for weeds and invasive plantings that pop up. You seem to be angry that your cat is not able to go to that area, when I am fairly certain that it'a main purpose is not to serve your cat. For the record, and I can only based this upon your two posts - you seem to be the combative one, at least from my POV.
huh?

Old 06-12-2019, 02:00 PM

184 posts, read 193,129 times
I did not get the impression that you were being combative. (not that it matters to me). You had a concern, and the manager was defensive, I get it. Some people are just defensive by nature, especially property managers who aren't used to be challenged, however so gently, by lowly tenants. Instead of being a nice guy, and acting apologetic and being embarrassed about caring about your cats health, I would have been assertive. I don't apologize for caring about my pets. I would have told him to either stop spraying or you'll video record his maintenance men doing so, and then turn it over to the agency or district that is responsible for the irrigation canal. But that's just me. I don't take any guff.

Last edited by edujop; 06-12-2019 at 02:11 PM..

Old 06-12-2019, 02:28 PM

7,214 posts, read 8,908,120 times
I provided an explanation of why pesticides are used on canals and ditches. But the poster apparently did not care. By pointing out that each party may have thought the other was combative I had hoped the poster would think about that and come up with a different way of speaking with the person tasked with maintaining the area. Nobody would go to the trouble and expense of pesticides just for the fun of it. There was a reason.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:35 PM

27,353 posts, read 25,930,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edujop View Post
I did not get the impression that you were being combative. (not that it matters to me). You had a concern, and the manager was defensive, I get it. Some people are just defensive by nature, especially property managers who aren't used to be challenged, however so gently, by lowly tenants. Instead of being a nice guy, and acting apologetic and being embarrassed about caring about your cats health, I would have been assertive. I don't apologize for caring about my pets. I would have told him to either stop spraying or you'll video record his maintenance men doing so, and then turn it over to the agency or district that is responsible for the irrigation canal. But that's just me. I don't take any guff.
I see that you've changed "I would have come at this guy with both barrels." to "I would have been assertive."

OP, it doesn't sound as though a pesticide, or just a pesticide, is being sprayed.

I agree with nuts about the ditch not being there for your pets.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:44 PM

9,052 posts, read 3,327,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDScoop View Post
Did she answer your question adequately? Do you understand now, why pesticide was sprayed?

Old 06-12-2019, 03:02 PM

24,262 posts, read 31,326,630 times
If plants are dead, it is not a pesticide, but rather an herbicide.

In most areas it is the law to keep weeds away from the water irrigation ditches.

Three reasons: the weeds produce seeds that flow down the ditch with the water and spread weeds everywhere the water goes. Whoever is using the water to irrigate doesn't not appreciate the gift of noxious weed seeds.

Another reason is that weeds slow down the flow of the water. When the water slows, more soaks onto the ground and less of it reaches it's destination.

Weed roots tend to break down the walls of the ditch which causes expensive repairs.

I suggest that you have your cat use the next door neighbor's ditch weeds to play in. (I am assuming that you actually have written permission to keep a cat in your apartment)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or