U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2019, 02:53 PM

24,275 posts, read 31,348,746 times

Advertisements

Impulse buying is the bane of gardeners.

I saw it as I drove in the parking lot. I drove past it. I walked past it. I circled it and then put it on a cart and circled it some more, all the way repeatedly saying "I will Not pay $35 for a one gallon rose"

So, now it sits next to my driveway in it's pot: CL Purple Splash, climbing rose.

I don't have a place in my garden for another rose. I have never had a place in any garden for a climbing rose. I certainly don't have a place at this house for a climbing rose.

It's gorgeous. Large blue tone red flowers with lots of speckled streaks and some clear white streaks. Purple might be an exaggeration, but it is definitely leaning towards that side of red.

Fragrance is slight, but at least it has a good classic rose fragrance just not strong.

I've got a 7 gallon pot that is supposed to home a tomato, but I will put the rose into that while I figure out what the heck to do with it.

This beautiful thing has a vicious temperament. Ads for it call it low thorn and even thornless. Ha! Quite an exaggeration, judging by the scratches on my hands and forearms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 05:26 PM

It's difficult to find a rose that smells like a rose. So many are odorless or have a faint odor that isn't "rose".

I've got a good smelling one at a house I am selling that is in escrow. I'm going to try to strike some cuttings, but I have never ever gotten a rose cutting to root.

I have success with many other plants, but not roses.

Does anyone have a secret secret, not for public sharing, fool proof method of getting roses to root? I carefully follow the directions. Other stuff will root for me.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:31 AM

I looked up Purple Splash online and found it was related to Fourth of July. I looked up Fourth of July, and holy cow, is that ever a gorgeous rose.

I do not need a second climbing rose.

It sure is pretty.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:45 AM

3,946 posts, read 1,730,376 times
Well, you have one, so you'd better go get it a nice trellis.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:05 AM

8,383 posts, read 4,818,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I looked up Purple Splash online and found it was related to Fourth of July. I looked up Fourth of July, and holy cow, is that ever a gorgeous rose.

I do not need a second climbing rose.
Everyoone needs a second climbing rose!

Old 06-14-2019, 12:20 PM

2,811 posts, read 1,538,887 times
Well, whether you need it or not, you were chosen by this rose, and now you must find a place for it.

It's a beauty, and after looking at pictures of it, I want it in my garden.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:31 AM

14,379 posts, read 19,779,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's difficult to find a rose that smells like a rose. So many are odorless or have a faint odor that isn't "rose".

I've got a good smelling one at a house I am selling that is in escrow. I'm going to try to strike some cuttings, but I have never ever gotten a rose cutting to root.

I have success with many other plants, but not roses.

Does anyone have a secret secret, not for public sharing, fool proof method of getting roses to root? I carefully follow the directions. Other stuff will root for me.

Chicago peace rose and Abraham Lincoln rose are two roses that have a very fragrant rose smell and very strong so much so you can smell it when you walk out the door .
this is what you do dig a hole fill it with water then put rose in hole and cover up with the dirt you dug out of hole . I never have had a rose not to root this way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden