U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 10:29 PM

6 posts, read 1,737 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am having troubles with my morning glory: "heavenly blues". Per instruction I have planted them in well drained soil: 1:3 (perlite/topsoil). The pot size is around 8 gallon. 7 if you consider the headspace. Also per instruction I have planted: 1 per gallon (soil). Also, per instruction I have not fussed with fertilizer as I have read that this plant likes poor soil. Initially the leaves became yellow spotted. Research suggested either magnesium or potassium deficiency. I have added 1/2 tbsp. in a few gallon drench during a dry period (2 days) magnesium sulfate. After minimal improvement I added 20-20-20 water soluble fertilizer at 1/4 the recommended amount. The plants seem to be darkening and doing a bit better but not optimal. I have grown many types of plants and something is wrong here. This is basically a weed and should be easy right? I guess not. I realize the plant tips are the result of stress and or sub-optimal watering. At this point I have left the plant alone and only water in the morning when the leaves droop and the soil is extremely dry. New growth seems OK. Plants gets 4-6 hours full sun in the midwest. Any suggestions??.....

Full plant:

Lower leaves:

Middle leaves:

New growth:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 11:58 PM

40,383 posts, read 49,933,748 times
Next time you water add some liquid iron to your plant. Makes a big difference and will get rid of those iron deficient yellow areas. You'll notice the difference in 2-3 days.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:13 AM

18,629 posts, read 24,716,997 times
Since the new growth looks okay, I'd quit worrying about it. The older leaves are maybe just showing the stress of being repotted.

I'd snip the top to get them to bush out a little.

It's definitely a weed here and can take over a building. I see them growing over old buildings and up telephone poles. Pretty flowers, but the older leaves do turn yellow/brown and get ugly.

I'd water it a little more, too, if it was me - morning and evening.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:47 PM

Thank you for the tips. I have not applied liquid iron... "again" as I have read this is a temporary solution. I am not sure if it was the magnesium or the 20-20-20 but the plants have definitely greened up and are putting out little shoots like crazy. I have been cropping the top shoots to encourage growth on the stakes which is also working well. Also, a heavy drench watering every two days in the morning seems to be key: even with the heavy/moderate rain recently has proved not enough. At this point I am treating this plant as if it was hydroponic- there seems to be too low nutrients for this amount of plants. 1/2 teaspoon 20-20-20 every week or so seems perfect. I plan on 0-12-12 in about a month when its time to bloom. Also, low water conditions or high water drench= drooping leaves for about 1-2 hour then total horizontal leaf orientation. Plant is very specific when it comes to water requirements.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:02 AM

8,494 posts, read 11,404,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryGrower View Post
Thank you for the tips. I have not applied liquid iron... "again" as I have read this is a temporary solution. I am not sure if it was the magnesium or the 20-20-20 but the plants have definitely greened up and are putting out little shoots like crazy. I have been cropping the top shoots to encourage growth on the stakes which is also working well. Also, a heavy drench watering every two days in the morning seems to be key: even with the heavy/moderate rain recently has proved not enough. At this point I am treating this plant as if it was hydroponic- there seems to be too low nutrients for this amount of plants. 1/2 teaspoon 20-20-20 every week or so seems perfect. I plan on 0-12-12 in about a month when its time to bloom. Also, low water conditions or high water drench= drooping leaves for about 1-2 hour then total horizontal leaf orientation. Plant is very specific when it comes to water requirements.
If you look at this a little differently you might take a different approach. MG grow wild and as others have stated in some areas it is considered a weed. They need water and moderate sun. If I wanted to have one, I would go 10-10-10. Yes container planting will require additional care but the water is the main thing.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:55 AM

859 posts, read 489,480 times
The first photo is beautiful like hearts!

Old 06-28-2019, 06:49 PM

The glories are fine. This plant is a beast. Grows so quickly. Shoots lengthen on average 8" a day! I have been cutting all shoots at the top of the plant which is saturated with leaves. More leave/shoot growth is progressing from top to bottom now. Eventually I see this plant as a solid column of leaves if cropped/pruned correctly. Final questions before I let this thread go:

1: It has only been 10 days between these two pictures. Should I start to cut leaves (top mainly at first) to balance out the plant over time? I have noticed that no matter the watering schedule the leaves flop like limp noodles during mid-day sun. Again maybe too many plants per pot size...

2: After 2 months I am going to initialize flowering with a high P-K fertilizer. Any recommendations? For now 1 have been giving super tiny amounts of 20-20-20 occasionally which has really thickened/darkened the leaves. Most "bloom" water soluble fertilizers seem to have a relatively high Nitrogen content..and it seems that Nitrogen is the last thing this plant needs. Right now I am thinking after 2 months small amounts of pure mono-potassium phosphate.

6/14/19:

6/28/19 after a light rain:

Old 06-28-2019, 07:45 PM

3,906 posts, read 1,713,329 times
Vines like water and they do grow like weeds. If you leave some tips, they'll fall over and find their own way back up the plant. Be careful the whole mess doesn't fall over at some point like mine did last year. Mine was on the shed on a piece of twine and ended up with so many leaves and blooms at the top, it just pulled the hook out.

But yours looks great and I hope you post a picture when it blooms (which is usually September here). Worth the wait.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:42 PM

12,916 posts, read 5,940,548 times
Morning glories need lots of space to grow normally and be happy. Yours is confined in a small pot with several plants already being crowded. You can trim them and trim them but that's not what they need.

Old 06-29-2019, 04:24 AM

Marino-
Thank you for your reply. I realize under ideal conditions this plant would be wild with unresticted soil exposure. The reason I am even posting is because this is a plant I have never grown before which is basically growing in a pot/hydroponic conditions. I will say however that from personal experience that it does not matter what conditons the plant roots are exposed to. That pot could be 100% sand.. and given the right amount of nutrients and water it would thrive. I really would be happy with just a few flowers. I am a St. Louis native and am growing this plant in honor of the St. Louis Blues who won the Stanley cup for the first time in 52 years. Huge fan... and a very big deal in STL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden