U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 08:57 PM

3,951 posts, read 1,732,146 times

Advertisements

I have some wildly overgrown planting beds and while I've been good at keeping some of it weeded, it's really too much over time. I was planning to use flat cardboard boxes with rocks maybe (undecided about rocks or mulch). The thing is that I have sprinkler hoses and I don't know if they would go above or below the cardboard or if I have to give them up entirely. Likewise, how do I get food to the large plants in place that require it? I have a Tatarian honeysuckle and its paler pink relative, a spirea, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 10:01 PM

40,440 posts, read 50,036,899 times
I use a professional weed mat (at HD or Lowe's) that is porous and allows air and moisture into the soil but prevents weeds from growing up. I cover mine with 1 1/2 inches of decorative 3/4 inch rock. I fertilize with a liquid fertilizer and that works perfect. I've never had a weed problem.

Old 06-22-2019, 02:27 AM

27,385 posts, read 25,956,745 times
I used to water the always thirsty young hydrangea by using a gallon jug with a small hole near the bottom.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:57 AM

72,188 posts, read 55,173,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I have some wildly overgrown planting beds and while I've been good at keeping some of it weeded, it's really too much over time. I was planning to use flat cardboard boxes with rocks maybe (undecided about rocks or mulch). The thing is that I have sprinkler hoses and I don't know if they would go above or below the cardboard or if I have to give them up entirely. Likewise, how do I get food to the large plants in place that require it? I have a Tatarian honeysuckle and its paler pink relative, a spirea, etc.
Cardboard works great! Only for 3 months but by that time the season is over and we start prepping for winter.

I'd place the sprinkler hose on top of the cardboard. Last thing you want to do is clog the hose. The cardboard will turn into dirt but be thick at first.

If you want a longer term solution try that weed blocker. It's not expense and works great

Old 06-22-2019, 07:23 PM

I have a roll of week blocker, but my husband brings in cardboard and newspaper in large amounts and I had the idea to put it to use, knowing it will break down and not do much harm to anything in the garden. Except the weeds.

Old 06-23-2019, 02:06 PM

2,149 posts, read 2,337,471 times
We use cardboard as a weed block all the time. Earthworms love cardboard and quickly turn it into nutrients for the soil. If using cardboard to raise worms, water it if it dries out.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:51 PM

2,820 posts, read 1,540,750 times
I put soaker hoses underneath the cardboard. The soaker hoses don't get clogged, they work fine. Mulch goes on top of the cardboard, of course.

To be able to fertilize plants, I leave a good sized hole in the cardboard, and fertilize through that.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I put soaker hoses underneath the cardboard. The soaker hoses don't get clogged, they work fine. Mulch goes on top of the cardboard, of course.

To be able to fertilize plants, I leave a good sized hole in the cardboard, and fertilize through that.
How do you keep weeds from sprouting through that hole?

Old 06-25-2019, 12:02 PM

2,820 posts, read 1,540,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
How do you keep weeds from sprouting through that hole?

They do pop up there, but they are easy to control in those small areas. No matter what you do in a garden, you're going to have to weed at some point. Nature always wins.

Pulling weeds is a given.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:39 AM

1,958 posts, read 639,390 times
I used newspapers and cardboard with mulch on top (to make it prettier). After twelve months, I pull it up and the weeds are gone. The mulch has broken down too. It makes a great addition to your soil.

BTW, earthworms love to live under newspaper and cardboard! Pulled up a bunch of newspapers last month, there must been 50 earthworms underneath.

The secret to using newspapers and cardboard is to soak the material first. Wet enough, but not so wet is falls apart. When they dry in place, they stay better.

I don't like touching wet newspaper/cardboard. It's my personal thing. So I put the newspaper/cardboard down, weigh it with old bricks/rock, then I soak it completely. I leave the bricks/rocks on, put some mulch around the bricks/rocks.

In a year, I removed the bricks/rocks first, then newspapers/cardboard (but it isn't necessary). I work the mulch into the soil. Then it's ready for planting.

I hand water. I have a regular old hose and spray when necessary. We've had so much rain in Westchester this spring, you don't need to water anything planted in the ground. Overwatering is as bad as drought on plants.

I wouldn't use a soaker hose. If you overwater by your basement, you can harm your basement/foundation.

Last edited by YorktownGal; 06-30-2019 at 10:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden