U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2019, 12:44 PM

3,337 posts, read 2,466,069 times

Advertisements

I always like to add about 4 capfuls of hydrogen peroxide to a gallon of fresh, clean and pure bottled water to water to the Star Jasmine plants, the Purple Sage and the Crepe Myrtle I have growing in the yard for the first month or so after planting them and they seem to do really good, much better than if I did not add the hydrogen peroxide to the water.

That got me to wondering how they would react to fresh, clean carbonated water? I would experiment myself but I don't want chance sending a shock into the plant that it cannot handle it.

Anybody know? Or have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 12:47 PM

2,795 posts, read 1,525,954 times
I haven't done it, but I've read that it's good for plants, according to some people. Try it and report back.

Old 06-22-2019, 01:18 PM

397 posts, read 90,487 times
Ivory,
My father use to pour his left over 7Up onto a plant and the plant did okay. He only did it once in a blue moon though.

I did some sleuthing and found this that says club soda without sugar is good for it. That means 7Up would be not as good for it.

https://sciencing.com/happens-water-...a-6300916.html

However, I am only a small gardener. I've got one little wood bin that I grow some flowers in. I don't even have a yard....so I am no expert.

Old 06-22-2019, 03:07 PM

18,764 posts, read 56,506,947 times
The carbonation is carbonic acid. It'll release some elements for uptake. IIRC, rainwater has a very very small percentage of carbonic acid in it that is part of the weathering of rocks.

Old 06-22-2019, 03:44 PM

3,337 posts, read 2,466,069 times
Thanks everybody for all the replies. I'm gonna give it a try on a smaller plant and see what happens. I was thinking about using regular, perrier water or topo chico, no sugars, no flavors, just plain carbonated water.

I have used water squeezed from freshly brewed Luzianne tea bags in addition to water the cactus plants I keep in clay flower pots and they respond very well to it.

I just recently discovered in the past 4 or 5 years how well the plants respond to hydrogen peroxide.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:01 PM

2,115 posts, read 2,324,132 times
Carbonated water is good for plants whether it is used for watering or sprayed onto the leaves. Pot growers figured that out in the 1970's and scientists validated it in the 90's. One of the limiting factors of plant growth is the amount of CO2 available, carbonated water increases the amount of CO2 available to the plants so they grow faster. It's probably less effective when used for watering compared to foliar application.

I've never heard of hydrogen peroxide being used to increase plant growth (it probably can't directly affect metabolism like CO2 can) but it has reportedly been used successfully in a diluted form to prevent or kill early blight on tomatoes when sprayed onto the plants (not added to the soil). Eliminating or reducing the blight could, indirectly, increase the growth rate of the plant but it's not accelerating growth like one sees when increasing access to light or CO2.

Last edited by terracore; 06-26-2019 at 09:11 PM..

Old 07-01-2019, 07:49 AM

2,273 posts, read 1,060,863 times
There was a crazy gardener, but not too crazy, on PBS that had all sorts of home made recipes for lawn care, I think club soda was mentioned. Also putting stuff like beer, cola, soap etc in a hose end sprayer and spraying your lawn instead big store bought fertilizer and weed killer.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:59 AM

12,000 posts, read 9,376,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
There was a crazy gardener, but not too crazy, on PBS that had all sorts of home made recipes for lawn care, I think club soda was mentioned. Also putting stuff like beer, cola, soap etc in a hose end sprayer and spraying your lawn instead big store bought fertilizer and weed killer.
That was Jerry Baker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or