U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 08:08 PM

1,703 posts, read 515,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
are perfectly fine with pouring salt everywhere.
A lack of education- chemistry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 08:17 PM

1,703 posts, read 515,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
It worked because it ruins the soil for new plants. Sometimes for a long time, depending on rainfall or irrigation.

Whether or not to use it depends on whether you want to use the soil to grow something else. If you don't, then yes, it's an inexpensive and easy DIY herbicide.
Hope you all understand that the salt is water soluble .
If you don’t believe me- put some salt in water- you will see it with your own eyes!

Fact #2
Water moves in an unpredictable way in the soil: down, sideways, on diagonal... Add rain and you have no clue where your salt ends up.. You can’t take the salt out...

So now your salty water may end up somewhere where you don’t want: accumulate next to your concrete foundation, favorite tree, a beautiful shrub. Bad, bad idea!

If you happened to live in the Western part of the US, where the soils already high in salts- well, it is even worse idea

Old 06-23-2019, 09:46 PM

21,439 posts, read 20,450,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Hope you all understand that the salt is water soluble .
If you don’t believe me- put some salt in water- you will see it with your own eyes!

Fact #2
Water moves in an unpredictable way in the soil: down, sideways, on diagonal... Add rain and you have no clue where your salt ends up.. You can’t take the salt out...

So now your salty water may end up somewhere where you don’t want: accumulate next to your concrete foundation, favorite tree, a beautiful shrub. Bad, bad idea!

If you happened to live in the Western part of the US, where the soils already high in salts- well, it is even worse idea
Whoa...I used the salt on the moss between the bricks of a small front patio. That is all. That house is still standing, although with different owners and I see on Google Earth that the brick patio is still there. No one wanted to put a garden or a lawn in place of the little front patio right outside the front door. The dogwood tree near the patio is still alive and well twenty years later.

Don't think we don't think about these things before we do them. We do research and think about the implications. And in the end, the salt water treatment was far easier and more permanent than diggng out all that moss with a fork, lol. That's what I was doing before I found out about the salt.

How about some more DIY treatment ideas?

Old 06-24-2019, 12:09 PM

238 posts, read 83,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I’m always amazed at people who are so afraid of glyphosate, yet are perfectly fine with pouring salt everywhere.
I haven't seen any studies that link salt with possible neurotoxicity when sprayed in one's garden over a period of time, so I prefer to use safer alternatives. If you can't contribute without being negative, why bother posting?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3084150/

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
A little basic chemistry...
Not asking for chemistry; I was looking for recipes. Do you have any DIY recipes to share?

Last edited by KimNChicago; 06-24-2019 at 12:59 PM..

Old 06-24-2019, 02:00 PM

25,584 posts, read 31,717,402 times
maybe i should be using salt to kill the weeds that grow between my paver driveway. the edge sends all the runoff to the sewers.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:18 PM

238 posts, read 83,495 times
I found this recipe for pest control, but I haven't used it:

1 teaspoon of baking soda
1/3 cup of olive oil or cooking oil
1 cup of water
Directions

Mix all ingredients and put in a spray bottle. Shake thoroughly.

This spray works great to kill aphids, spider mites, and white flies, but it doesn’t harm beneficial insects. It can be used on almost any type of vegetable or flower.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:37 PM

11,571 posts, read 13,192,669 times
I use vinegar. Straight up, uncut.
I use it in a spray bottle to keep my stone driveway weed free. Works GREAT.
And, cheap! My yard smells like salad but so what.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:20 PM

311 posts, read 262,099 times
Boy, if you want to kill weeds, why not use borax?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or