U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 02:09 AM

10,320 posts, read 19,762,321 times

Advertisements

Good job! Sounds like it should be tasty at some point. It does take a long time for bananas to ripen, though, so patience is a good thing.

I don't suppose you happen to know what type of banana it is? Several are decorative, but there's loads of different types of edible ones.

We leave the whole stalk of bananas on the tree until the ends of the bananas have filled in and they go from a green to a greenish yellow. Then we will cut down the tree since it will die anyway and hang the stalk of bananas somewhere that rats won't get to them. As they become yellow, we will take hands of bananas off the stalk.

The cut down stalk is usually chopped up and put around the base of the remaining and new banana plants. If you happen to be having a luau, chopped up banana stalks are traditional to go into the underground oven which is called an imu in Hawaii.

Bananas can be easily dried. Cut them in slices and put them in a dehydrator. Then they can be stored for quite some time.

I like to keep some in the freezer for smoothies. Peel them, put them on a tray but not touching and after they are frozen, take them off the tray and put them in a freezer bag.

Banana leaves are also tasty to wrap around different foods so even without the fruit, banana trees can still be tasty.

More information about banana types than you may want to know: https://www.growables.org/information/TropicalFruit/bananavarieties.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 10:57 AM

12,461 posts, read 18,064,920 times
Impressive feat.

My late grandfather managed to grow some bananas- in South Florida. They tasted like stale bread though.

Old 06-30-2019, 01:07 PM

75,038 posts, read 87,475,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
We live in Western Oregon in the foothills of the Cascade range. We've had a Banana plant for years which has never produced anything. Today we noticed a flower that has many little Bananas. We are astounded! The question is; will it actually produce edible bananas? That would be amazing!
Fantastic just to know there is something there. My guess is, you will not get any real tasty bananas but still that is wonderful. As a child in So Ca we had a huge banana plant but no bananas. We had every other kind of fruit. I think about the only climate here in America where you can really count on decent bananas, other than Hawaii might be Florida. They need the humidity. Just make sure you keep them watered and let us know in a month or so what happened.

Old 06-30-2019, 04:02 PM

17,720 posts, read 14,726,684 times
I'm guessing it's probably a Musa basjoo, which wasn't grown as an eating banana- it can produce plenty of bananas, but most of the banana contains large seeds, with little flesh, although it does taste much like regular banana.

I've got a large patch that I grow for the birds during winter - they flower for extended periods if left alone. I also make a few dollars selling leaves to mostly Asians and Pacific Islanders, for cooking, celebrations etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or