Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 07:56 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,657 times

Advertisements

So with today being the first day of spring, and less-freezing weather finally coming to Kansas City (ugh!), I find myself faced with the task of landscaping my yard. Now, I live on a small lot so you'd think this would be a simple task...but no!

I have to dig up the front lawn and either seed or sod; I have to break out the cement walkway in front of the house and replace it with something (and I don't know what yet!); I need to dig out a hugely invasive hedge so that I can put up a fence; I need to convince the next-door neighbor to cut down the dead tree that is just barely all "his" (so that it doesn't fall and take out the side of my house during thunderstorm/tornado season); I have to fill in a 20x20 area in the back of my house that is about 10" lower than the rest of the yard (no more rain pool!!); and I have to do something, ANYTHING about the ugly gravel driveway.

Oh, and I have to get a carport built, the house painted, and the roof repaired. I haven't even started and I'm already feeling overwhelmed! LOL

So...

...what are your OMG-I'm-so-behind outdoor projects this season?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 10:34 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I've been meaning to dig a garden beds in front and behind my front fence for two years. Every year I say I'll wait until early spring when the ground is easy to dig. Well ... guess what?!?!

A barberry hedge needs to go, and in its place ... I don't know what yet. I'm leaning toward a cottage garden.

Oh, yeah, and one of the fence posts is rotting from underground.

The garage roof needs fixing before it falls in.

I have a feeling the porch support posts need to be replaced/repaired as well. Twould indeed be a bummer if the porch roof caved in.

*sigh*

Old 03-20-2008, 11:28 AM

520 posts, read 1,853,797 times
I have lived in my house for two years now and haven't done anything other than mow the lawn. This year I would like to do some mulching and weeding, maybe get the front regraded so it doesn't hold so much water, build a raised bed to grow some veggies. If I don't regrade the front I need to weed some large sections and fix the grass. Oh yeah, I need to finish cleaning up the leaves from the fall . And finally, I need to repair the fence that got smashed last summer by a falling tree. Oh! I also want to make a little planting bed around the mailbox so I don't have to mow there. I really hate mowing.

I plan to get it all done next week on my vacation. What will probably happen is that I will get up on monday, look at the yard for a minute, scratch my head, and then watch TV the rest of the week.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMadArthur View Post
I plan to get it all done next week on my vacation. What will probably happen is that I will get up on monday, look at the yard for a minute, scratch my head, and then watch TV the rest of the week.
LOL...sounds good!

Oh yeah, I have to remove an old lamp post from the front yard too. Problem is, it's so old that it was GAS. Which means if I want to do it legally I have to have a plumber do it. Grrr...

Old 03-20-2008, 12:55 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
I do a lot of wandering. I'll wander into the garage, get some gardening tools, wander back out to wherever it is I'm working, work for less than a minute, wander back into the garage, get another tool for a different job, wander to a different corner of the yard (for which I have not yet selected a tool), stare at whatever it is I have planned for that spot, wander back to the garage, get a tool for yet a fourth chore, etc. etc. In the interim the neighbors come out to chat, the mailman comes, I need a glass of water, etc.

Pathetic, ain't it?

Old 03-20-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Pathetic, ain't it?
At least you are getting a little exercise by wandering around. I'll just be sitting there on my couch getting fat.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
LOL...sounds good!

Oh yeah, I have to remove an old lamp post from the front yard too. Problem is, it's so old that it was GAS. Which means if I want to do it legally I have to have a plumber do it. Grrr...
Wow, that sounds like a pain. I'm pretty sure that todo would conveniently fall off my list until next year.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Wow, that sounds like a pain. I'm pretty sure that todo would conveniently fall off my list until next year.
Would mine too, except I'm selling the house this year. So I gotta...

Old 03-20-2008, 04:07 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,378,141 times
WOW That is quite a list RoaminRed!!!

Here is my list for the next few weeks, its Easter break so I will have some help from my kids. Not much help, but I will take what I can get. My hubby was injured at work and cannot help do anything, its a bummer for me!

-Clear the dead growth out of the flower beds.
-Sweep and wash down the front porch and sweep the clay up off the driveway and sidewalks. In Calif we use clay instead of salt during the snow season and it gets everywhere.
-Organize the garage and set up a yard sale date.
-Start amending the garden soil. I may need to build 2 more planting beds. But I won't know until I get the beds hubby made last year into their spots and see what I can fit.
-Get out the kids bikes and make any needed repairs.
-Get everything that needs to go to the dump out and ready to go. A friend has a trailer and offered to help me.
-Fix the side gate, its not latching.

Now I am going to copy, paste and print my list, lol. If I don't hang it up and check things off I probably won't remember everything later this week.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:47 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Of course as I type this I should be outside "doing it" but... I think I need one more cup of coffee first.

Lets see, this year is bigger than last so.

Finish felling another 15-20 trees to thin out two hillsides in order to get a tractor in to scape the brush and get about 250lb of seed put down. remove the sod from two fair sized steep banks in order to get some creeping tyme and wildflower/annual rye seed put down. use those sod cuts to fill in some areas that are a little bare. Finish getting the last load of 12 railroad ties in so that I can expand my parking area with another two loads of rock. Finish building the knee wall between the parking area and the path to my springs and get it backfilled. Then I can relax with fine tilling the garden that I turned over last month and get to planting some of my cool weather veggies.

I am currently accepting volunteers who don't mind steep terrain, moving large rocks, stumps, logs and branches as well as some extensive shovel work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden