Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 11:43 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,965 times

Advertisements

I have four window boxes that I try to maintain on my home. Two, in the kitchen windows, and two in the laundry room, each with relative ease of watering, trying to maintain, etc.

My problem has been what to grow in the things that will be attractive, and not croak in the heat, and suffer in the humidity. I have tried marigolds, wave petunias, and vincas. The vincas have done best, but what else can I mix with them for interest, contrast, etc?

I am thinking, after planting the boxes several seasons, that they just get too hot, too dry in the summer -- at least the soil does -- and the plants seem to suffer in the humidity. If I water them to keep the soil cool/moist, the plants suffer some. I also wonder if the air circulates well enough, as the boxes are often attacked by aphids and mold, or mildew, and the like.

The very best luck I have had has been with pansies and violas, and the variegated ivy I planted with them, this past Fall. It will be getting warm soon, though, and I need to plant what I hope will make it through the summer.

Should I plan on two summer plantings -- like early, and then something else later, for the hot, hot weather here in NC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 01:03 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,899,308 times
Which direction is your house facing? How many hours of sunlight do the window boxes get? It does sound like you get full sun. The plants would need to be watered every day, and can you put some shredded wood mulch on the roots to help keep them cool? For added interest, have you tried some trailing variegated ivy? I've also seen some kind of spiked grassy plants you can add in planters, but I can't remember the name of them right now.

Oh duh, I see you did mention the trailing ivy already. Hmmm, and I wonder if there are some pretty succulents that might work in a window box? They love hot, dry conditions.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:07 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,009,043 times
I had Gerbera daisies in the window boxes at my former house. If they could do well in Texas heat and humidity, I think they'd be fine in NC!!! When I got lazy and forgot to water them in a dry spell, it was no biggy. They'd perk up to their glorious beauty just a few hours after watering them!

They really did look pretty in the window boxes. I got a mix of colors.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:08 PM

899 posts, read 2,942,532 times
Hello from the other coast.
I have 6 window boxes that 4 face straight south and 1 east and 1 west so they get all our weather here in Salem...I had real good luck with Moss rose (portulaca)its a succulent and bright colored flowers,..every year this gets to be a discussion with me myself and i on what to put in them that has lots of color..and take our 90 degree heat and wind in the summer...
You might want to call your local Ag extension office and talk with a master gardener on what people are planting and the box problem with mildew...I'm sure they could steer you in the right direction..What you can do on your coast and what we can do on ours are so very different..
Happy gardening

Old 04-14-2008, 01:22 PM

Here's a nursery link for orange Gerbera Daisies, including care and suitability. The daisies are available in beautiful colors besides orange, including yellow, pink, purple, and red. They do VERY well in window boxes and pots.

Orange Gerbera Daisy | Gerbera jamesonii | Spring Hill Nursery

Old 04-14-2008, 08:34 PM

Thank you all for taking the time to respond.

I didn't have this much trouble, ever, with window boxes I had closer to the NC coast, but then all four of them were on the front of the house there, which faced north.

These boxes have just been a challenge. The exposure is northeast and east. My house faces north, with one window box on the front corner, and the other three face due east.

I usually get the boxes started by planting them (the liners, really) a few weeks before they go into the boxes, just so they won't look so funny with dinky starter plants in them. I thought about portulaca (moss rose) but didn't know if they would be seen -- the flowers are sort of small? and not much color to the greenery. But, I wonder if they wouldn't look great in the front of the box with some Gerbera daisies behind them?

Never occurred to me to ask the local ag agent about windowboxes. Thanks for that suggestions, too. And the link.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:45 PM

Actually, thank YOU! LOL, you've motivated me to do window boxes with Gerbera daisies at my new home!!! I really miss them -- they were so pretty and cheery that they made me smile!

Old 04-15-2008, 12:47 PM

Gerbera daisies may be a good choice, the more I think about it. I like them too, tea time. They come a great array of colors, and the leaves are pretty and full. Maybe mix the Gerberas with some variegated ivy, and depending upon what colors I choose, perhaps even some portulaca like someone else mentioned? Bad thing though, is they have different water needs, don't they?

Gerbera daisies almost look like flowers from a children's coloring book, or a cartoon, ie. animated film. They are bright and cheerful. I've had them in my yard(s) over the years -- just never though about maybe treating them as an annual, and putting them in a window box. But then, since I lift the liners out, and always have two sets going -- the current ones in the window boxes themselves, and the ones I've started for the next season, perhaps I could just winter -over the daisies? Wouldn't that be nice?

Old 04-29-2008, 08:11 PM

OK, I was at the nursery today. I am still pondering what to try in these window boxes for the summer.

It occurred to me that maybe instead of always planting annuals, and having the same bum luck, would it be a mistake to try perennials instead? Would they fare better? It'd be nice, too, to possibly be able to cut the plants back when I pull the liners out, and let them winter-over in the garage like I do my ferns and geraniums.

I have two sets of liners that I swap-out. It lets me get the plants started, so they don't look so small, and somewhat silly, when I put them in the window boxes. I have had the very best luck with pansies and violas during the winter months, but summer just perplexes me, and I have had little luck with most annuals I've tried.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:01 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,157,105 times
moss rose, vinca, petunias, ivy, sweet potato vine.

That's what I've done in my window boxes that get full southern afternoon sun. They wilt in the hottest part of the summer, but a little water always brings them back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden