U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 10:28 AM

39,179 posts, read 48,151,698 times

Advertisements

The first one looks like zinnia to me, but if it was, it would probably have bloomed by now.

I agree with the purple being nepata (catmint).

Oh, and pretty house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 12:21 PM

3,007 posts, read 946,000 times
You will make a lot of mistakes.

I somehow killed a bonsai plant which is one of the hardest to kill. Good luck.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:36 PM

34,881 posts, read 44,425,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The first one looks like zinnia to me, but if it was, it would probably have bloomed by now.

I agree with the purple being nepata (catmint).

Oh, and pretty house!
The first one, to me, looks like wild Ageratum. It flowers look like the bedding varieties you buy but the plants are much taller. It is incredibly invasive.

Old 06-26-2019, 04:37 PM

1,959 posts, read 642,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Yeah, I think you're right.

As other people have said, the purple flowers are catmint.

The first picture could be Black Eyed Susans. Black Eyed Susans are dormant in winter, but the dried flowers remain. Birds love to eat them. They are almost wild in Westchester as they self seed so nicely.

It's all good!

You need a bird feeder and some Allium 'Millennium to fill your garden. (deers don't eat it)

https://www.missouribotanicalgarden....taxonid=263431

Old 07-22-2019, 08:26 AM

91 posts, read 70,489 times
Just reviving this briefly after I let things grow a little longer. So the side bed was definitely planted intentionally and everything flowered. Clearly the yellow and purple flowers are meant to be there, I'm still not positive if the other one is a weed that happened to flower or was planted intentionally.

And the back garden went crazy. The pumpkins are taking over the world so I have to pull them away from the tomatoes. More of that tall flowering plant makes me think it is just a weed since I don't know why else it would be in a garden bed.

Old 07-22-2019, 10:05 AM

11,649 posts, read 15,293,511 times
Looks like you have yourself some purple coneflowers https://www.gardendesign.com/flowers/coneflower.html
Maybe some heliopsis (ox eye)? Heliopsis helianthoides - Plant Finder
And I still think the purple one in the front and back gardens is Joe Pye Weed, which is described in this article as 'an enthusiastic spreader'. Probably planted intentionally (in the side garden) as it makes a good 'back of the border plant' and attracts butterflies. https://www.thespruce.com/joe-pye-we...pureum-1402848

At any rate it's a good start on a nice perennial border garden, and I love that back garden bed.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Looks like you have yourself some purple coneflowers https://www.gardendesign.com/flowers/coneflower.html
Maybe some heliopsis (ox eye)? Heliopsis helianthoides - Plant Finder
And I still think the purple one in the front and back gardens is Joe Pye Weed, which is described in this article as 'an enthusiastic spreader'. Probably planted intentionally (in the side garden) as it makes a good 'back of the border plant' and attracts butterflies. https://www.thespruce.com/joe-pye-we...pureum-1402848

At any rate it's a good start on a nice perennial border garden, and I love that back garden bed.
Yes, to purple coneflowers and joe pye weed, the yellow flowers are Black Eye Susans.

All of these self seed so they'll be spreading and filling in the space

Thanks for the update!

Old 07-23-2019, 08:08 AM

91 posts, read 70,489 times
Thanks guys. I have a messy border between my yard and my neighbors with a sort of no-mans zone between us. With how tall the Joe Pye weed gets I'm thinking that might be a decent thing to fill in there and create a more purposeful visual border. I should also probably remove it from the vegetable garden bed in the back.

Old 07-23-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNYCfast View Post
Thanks guys. I have a messy border between my yard and my neighbors with a sort of no-mans zone between us. With how tall the Joe Pye weed gets I'm thinking that might be a decent thing to fill in there and create a more purposeful visual border. I should also probably remove it from the vegetable garden bed in the back.
No reason to remove it now. Wait until winter after the butterflies are gone.

Vegetables like cukes, pumpkins, and squash have male and female flowers which need a pollinator. Joe Pye weed lures pollinators over to your vegetables. After snacking on the Joe Pye weed, they can wander over to your pumpkin flowers.

Joe Pye weed is a very nice border plant. Butterflies will thank you!

White Flower Farms is in our zone. Sometimes I wander around it to find interesting plants.

This spring I ordered two of their Callicarpa Pearl Glam. They arrived small - less than a foot height, but have been growing well. https://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/callicarpa-pearl-glam

I am waiting for Weigela florida Wine & Roses. https://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/68875-product.html

"Its dark burgundy leaves highlight the profusion of 1–2″ rosy pink blooms in May and June, and then add color to the garden for the rest of the season. Easily adaptable to almost any soil type, this disease-resistant shrub grows to 4–5′ with a spread of 3–5′, making it a choice addition to foundation plantings and shrub borders. A light pruning after flowering will keep growth compact, but left on their own, the branches form graceful arches. A Proven Winners®/Color Choice® variety. 'Alexandra' PP 10,772

Weigela is a small genus of deciduous shrubs native to Eastern Asia, known for its trumpet-shaped flowers produced in late spring and early summer. The showy blooms beckon hummingbirds and have also attracted the interest of plant breeders."

The best thing is the comment section under reviews. Like for Weigela Wine and Roses, it says part-sun but the reviewers said it needs full sun. As a result, I will plant it in full sun.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:21 PM

10,365 posts, read 3,578,586 times
Click on the link to see a beautiful, endangered plant, that is native to our area in Oregon. A great effort has been made to plant them in wildlife preserves and along bike trails. It's called, Kincaid's lupin and it is available from native plant nurseries in our region. The equally-endangered Fender's blue butterfly will lay its eggs on no other plant, so they are saving two species by preserving this one. I plan on starting a patch of it at my place, within the next year.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...f95d5ab5_h.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden