U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 06:44 PM

1,945 posts, read 634,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Click on the link to see a beautiful, endangered plant, that is native to our area in Oregon. A great effort has been made to plant them in wildlife preserves and along bike trails. It's called, Kincaid's lupin and it is available from native plant nurseries in our region. The equally-endangered Fender's blue butterfly will lay its eggs on no other plant, so they are saving two species by preserving this one. I plan on starting a patch of it at my place, within the next year.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...f95d5ab5_h.jpg
Lupins do well in NY. Another option!

I've never seen a Kincaid's lupin or a Fender's blue butterfly before - they are so pretty!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 02:31 AM

517 posts, read 409,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNYCfast View Post
Does anybody have suggestions for gardening for dummies type resources? We live in Westchester, NY now and prior to this I lived in townhomes or apartments and never had a garden to deal with.... I really have no idea what I'm doing.... When I say novice I really mean it. Like to the point where I'm staring at areas in my garden beds debating, is that a weed or a bush that was intentionally planted? ...So I'm just trying to keep it looking nice and the weeds out so I can be ready for next year to try and get some new plants/flowers.

i recommend taking nice closeup pics of parts of each plant, plus whole plant pics, and posting each plant's pics separately to a Plant ID group, for them to identify for you. I know of 3 such groups on Facebook ("Plant Identification", and, "Plant Identification and Discussion"), but, there are others in regular gardening groups.

Old 10-05-2019, 06:14 PM

1,284 posts, read 294,021 times
1. Have a soil test done to determine your soil condition.

2. Amend your soil according to the results of the soil test until it's ready to be garden soil.

3. Fine tune the pH of individual soil patches depending on what you'll plant there. Different plants need different pH levels.

4. Install drip irrigation and a timer unit on the faucet feeding the drip irrigation system.

5, Build raised beds for best drainage.

6. Use mulch to keep weeds down and retain moisture.

Old 10-05-2019, 10:17 PM

983 posts, read 436,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNYCfast View Post
Does anybody have suggestions for gardening for dummies type resources? We live in Westchester, NY now and prior to this I lived in townhomes or apartments and never had a garden to deal with. We have a lawn care service but doing the garden beds/trees ourselves. I really have no idea what I'm doing. The beds were planted by the builder but not marked in any way. When I say novice I really mean it. Like to the point where I'm staring at areas in my garden beds debating, is that a weed or a bush that was intentionally planted? I tried one of those apps that identifies plants but it just says, well it could be one of these 8 things pick which one it is. I downloaded the app because I don't know which one it is! I didn't have money in the budget this year to do much with the garden other than throw down mulch in the spring. So I'm just trying to keep it looking nice and the weeds out so I can be ready for next year to try and get some new plants/flowers.
You're not an idiot just a lawn noob. I been there too, youtube videos help allot.

Old 10-11-2019, 02:08 PM

39,136 posts, read 48,098,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
IMO,(1) the first thing you need to know is, what growing zone are you in? (2) Second, what side of the house is the bed in? North, South, East, West? This tends to tell how much sun that particular plant bed will get. (3) How much sun DOES that area get? For a novice, it's good to go outside at different parts of the day and observe how much sun that area is getting.

(4) When you go to purchase plants/flowers, there is usually some basic instructions on the container or a tag, saying what the requirements are for that particular plant. Like how much sun it needs, how often to water, when to fertilize... stuff like that.

(5) And finally...the big box stores, like Home Depot and Lowes tend to carry the flowers and plants that grow well in that particular planting zone, so, IMO, it's a good place to start, when looking for plants to purchase. IF you want more expert advice, I'd find a local nursery and talk to someone there.

One of my 'zen' things to do is go to my favorite nursery and just walk up and down the rows and rows of plants looking at stuff. It's definitely one of my happy places. lol
Also, Lowe’s and HD have a one year guarantee on their plants, so if you lose a plant or two, despite giving them good care, you can return it. Just save the pot and the receipts. I just took a bush back to Lowe’s today. I planted 3, but one died, so I got my money back and a nice healthy replacement.

I do my homework and buy plants that should be perfect for their spot, yet I still lose many, so don’t feel badly if some plants don’t work out. We gardeners live in a state of constant optimism, and the thrill of the challenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden