U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 03:08 PM

91 posts, read 70,020 times

Advertisements

Does anybody have suggestions for gardening for dummies type resources? We live in Westchester, NY now and prior to this I lived in townhomes or apartments and never had a garden to deal with. We have a lawn care service but doing the garden beds/trees ourselves. I really have no idea what I'm doing. The beds were planted by the builder but not marked in any way. When I say novice I really mean it. Like to the point where I'm staring at areas in my garden beds debating, is that a weed or a bush that was intentionally planted? I tried one of those apps that identifies plants but it just says, well it could be one of these 8 things pick which one it is. I downloaded the app because I don't know which one it is! I didn't have money in the budget this year to do much with the garden other than throw down mulch in the spring. So I'm just trying to keep it looking nice and the weeds out so I can be ready for next year to try and get some new plants/flowers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 03:12 PM

2,805 posts, read 1,535,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNYCfast View Post
So I'm just trying to keep it looking nice and the weeds out so I can be ready for next year to try and get some new plants/flowers.
That's pretty much what all gardeners do, so consider yourself a gardener.

Maybe if you post some pictures of the unknown plants, we can help you figure out what's what.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:19 PM

11,639 posts, read 15,271,278 times
Do you have any neighbors wit nice gardens, neighbors you could chat up and ask for advice? Most gardeners I know love to share their knowledge with a willing listener.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:22 PM

4,626 posts, read 5,722,688 times
First, idiots don't know what the question is so please don't call yourself an idiot. We learn all our life so keep asking questions. I also came from a condo so I appreciate the need to garden when living in a confined area. Start digging!

Is there a local county extension service in your area? Here the Master Gardener's organization offers a lot of free assistance to help new and not so new gardeners. Don't forget to check out your local library, also.

Try this one: https://www.facebook.com/National-Ga...-126120893390/

Dig yourself a little plot, you can get ready to grow some cool weather plants, my favorite is sugar snap peas. If you don't have a place for them to grow on, just be sure you get the bush type plants.

Last edited by Heidi60; 06-24-2019 at 03:31 PM..

Old 06-24-2019, 03:27 PM

34,847 posts, read 44,364,763 times
Buy a really good gardening book.

https://bonnieplants.com/the-bonnie-...new-gardeners/

https://www.thespruce.com/best-gardening-books-4159206

I'm not endorsing any of the books but just wanted to give you an idea what's out there. Hell, I still use my 40(?) year old Victory Garden books by Jim Crockett and Bob Thompson. With the exception of pesticide use, and Crockett really bombed it, the basics are still pretty much the same.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:23 PM

27,349 posts, read 25,919,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Buy a really good gardening book.

https://bonnieplants.com/the-bonnie-...new-gardeners/

https://www.thespruce.com/best-gardening-books-4159206

I'm not endorsing any of the books but just wanted to give you an idea what's out there. Hell, I still use my 40(?) year old Victory Garden books by Jim Crockett and Bob Thompson. With the exception of pesticide use, and Crockett really bombed it, the basics are still pretty much the same.
I loved that Victory Garden series.

Leaving, it would better to ask us to identify individual plans and shrubs and to ask specific questions. If you have questions about lawn care, you don't need advice about growing tomatoes.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:35 PM

8,376 posts, read 4,810,791 times
When you say "garden beds" do you mean beds up against the house (foundation plantings), or beds put in specifically to grow flowers and/or vegetables? And how much work do you actually want to do? Gardening can be fairly simple, or really elaborate and labor-intensive - it's your call which path to choose.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:05 PM

1,412 posts, read 738,975 times
Your area has a native plant center through Westchester Community College. Native plants are the easiest to grow! They, or your public library, should have some books on gardening in your area.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:45 PM

40,416 posts, read 49,998,373 times
OP, google has hundreds of gardening sites for beginners and everyone else. Just google what you want to know and follow the instructions.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:26 AM

10,329 posts, read 3,565,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNYCfast View Post
Does anybody have suggestions for gardening for dummies type resources? We live in Westchester, NY now and prior to this I lived in townhomes or apartments and never had a garden to deal with. We have a lawn care service but doing the garden beds/trees ourselves. I really have no idea what I'm doing. The beds were planted by the builder but not marked in any way. When I say novice I really mean it. Like to the point where I'm staring at areas in my garden beds debating, is that a weed or a bush that was intentionally planted? I tried one of those apps that identifies plants but it just says, well it could be one of these 8 things pick which one it is. I downloaded the app because I don't know which one it is! I didn't have money in the budget this year to do much with the garden other than throw down mulch in the spring. So I'm just trying to keep it looking nice and the weeds out so I can be ready for next year to try and get some new plants/flowers.

You should have some neighbors who are savvy about plants, who would give you advice. It'd be a good way to make friends, in a new neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden