U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 03:33 PM

9,056 posts, read 3,337,754 times

Advertisements

Anyone have much experience with them? I think I have 2 growing in my yard. They're growing in a bad spot, so I've yet to let them grow to the point of flowering. The first one showed up 2 years ago, and we cut it down before it got too out of hand.

Because we didn't get it by the roots, it came back the next year, and THIS year, now there's 2.

They grow fast! If I were to let them go and continue on, they'd be over my head by the end of summer. They have big leaves...bigger than my hand.

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 03:36 PM

16,414 posts, read 9,673,519 times
Messy, messy trees - flowers and fruits (long pods) drop; leaves in the fall, branches are brittle and may fall in storms. Not a "good" tree.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Messy, messy trees - flowers and fruits (long pods) drop; leaves in the fall, branches are brittle and may fall in storms. Not a "good" tree.

Do you know, are the stems like a light green, and they appear to be soft. (As opposed to most tree saplings) does that sound like Cawtawba? I've yet to let them get old enough to get flowers and pods...if these ARE cawtawba. I think they are, but I'm not sure.

I'm just curious really.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:16 PM

25,446 posts, read 16,391,080 times
Catalpa speciosa - Plant Finder

Missouri Botanical Garden has an excellent website. I found this for you, i believe there are Catalpas growing in Forest Park and the Zoo, if memory serves. There is probably one at MOBOT too.

I had one once at a house I moved to. They really are not good lawn trees, unless you have a big lawn. They shed pods and attract worms, and they have no fall color. There were a couple of handsome ones in an apartment complex we stayed in for a short while in SE Washington. But they had room to be themselves on an open lawn.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Catalpa speciosa - Plant Finder

Missouri Botanical Garden has an excellent website. I found this for you, i believe there are Catalpas growing in Forest Park and the Zoo, if memory serves. There is probably one at MOBOT too.

I had one once at a house I moved to. They really are not good lawn trees, unless you have a big lawn. They shed pods and attract worms, and they have no fall color. There were a couple of handsome ones in an apartment complex we stayed in for a short while in SE Washington. But they had room to be themselves on an open lawn.

I feel silly saying this, but now I think they're NOT catalpa trees. I think what I'm looking at are moon flowers. I guess one could wonder how I wouldn't know the difference, and I DO feel kind of silly now.

I was looking at them last night, and I noticed that they seem to be getting buds on them...kind of long and tubular...as they haven't opened up yet.

I DO think we might've HAD a catalpa tree, but like I said in my first post, we cut it down...twice. These plants aren't growing straight up, like the tree did. Still...the leaves are big. Bigger than my hand.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:51 AM

15,958 posts, read 12,750,227 times
They are messy and do get very tall; but the flowers are very pretty: https://www.bonanza.com/listings/100...yABEgKXo_D_BwE.

They are invasive: https://plants.usda.gov/plantguide/pdf/pg_casp8.pdf.

The problem I have is that almost every other tree I have is dying from one pest or another. Trying to find something to replace them is hard. My Catalpa trees are growing great and look like nothing is going to bother them. So I am kind of at a loss on what to plant. If it isn't the fire blight, woolly aphid, emerald ash borer, gypsy moths, lantern flies, oak borer, it's something else. I even had to get rid of my larger pine trees because they were too messy and too close to the house.

If yours are safely away from your house and you mow frequently to keep the saplings from growing; then maybe they are not a bad tree.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
They are messy and do get very tall; but the flowers are very pretty: https://www.bonanza.com/listings/100...yABEgKXo_D_BwE.

They are invasive: https://plants.usda.gov/plantguide/pdf/pg_casp8.pdf.

The problem I have is that almost every other tree I have is dying from one pest or another. Trying to find something to replace them is hard. My Catalpa trees are growing great and look like nothing is going to bother them. So I am kind of at a loss on what to plant. If it isn't the fire blight, woolly aphid, emerald ash borer, gypsy moths, lantern flies, oak borer, it's something else. I even had to get rid of my larger pine trees because they were too messy and too close to the house.

If yours are safely away from your house and you mow frequently to keep the saplings from growing; then maybe they are not a bad tree.

Unfortunately, the catalpa tree WAS too close to the house. AND too close to the central air unit, so we had to cut it down.

I've HEARD that Catalpa wood is a highly prized kind of wood. Carpenters can make pretty things from it, so I've heard.

We get SO many tree saplings in our yard. It's a constant battle keeping up with all the saplings. Fisheye, if you lived closer, I would invite you to come and dig up as many oak, maple and redbud saplings as you wanted. lol

Old 06-26-2019, 09:29 AM

2,279 posts, read 839,734 times
If it came back VIGOROUSLY, with huge leaves after being cut back, it could also be a Royal Paulownia. They roughly resemble a Catalpa at first glance. They get fragrant, pale blue flowers when mature though, instead of the white flowers of the Catalpas...no cigar seed pods either. The wood of the Paulownia is sought by Japanese wood carvers, or used to be.

I like both of them. The RP is a fast growing tree.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulownia_tomentosa

Last edited by LesLucid; 06-26-2019 at 09:46 AM..

Old 06-26-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
If it came back VIGOROUSLY, with huge leaves after being cut back, it could also be a Royal Paulownia. They roughly resemble a Catalpa at first glance. They get pale blue flowers when mature though, instead of the white flowers of the Catalpas...no cigar seed pods either. The wood of the Paulownia is sought by Japanese wood carvers, or used to be.

I like both of them. The RP is a fast growing tree.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulownia_tomentosa

Huh! Yeah...that might be it. That might be what I thought was the catalpa. The picture of the leaf looks nearly exactly like the leaves of what was growing. Too bad it was so close to the house.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:56 PM

15,958 posts, read 12,750,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Unfortunately, the catalpa tree WAS too close to the house. AND too close to the central air unit, so we had to cut it down.

I've HEARD that Catalpa wood is a highly prized kind of wood. Carpenters can make pretty things from it, so I've heard.

We get SO many tree saplings in our yard. It's a constant battle keeping up with all the saplings. Fisheye, if you lived closer, I would invite you to come and dig up as many oak, maple and redbud saplings as you wanted. lol
Actually White Pine are still thriving; besides the Catalpa. The Pines that are left are out of range of my house. I have five acres and I even bought an old backhoe to help remove stumps and replant trees. Right now I am simply in the process of removing the dead and dying. I am recruiting local people that want free firewood - as long as they are not worried about the Emerald Ash borer (I have about 15 Ash trees to come down that are infected). I do not want to spread the disease or any disease anyplace that is unaffected.

I also have Quaken Aspen that love to send out roots and take over large areas. They are a pain because the shoots can grow a foot almost overnight. I prefer to keep them under control as much as possible.

Thanks for the offering!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden