U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 08:37 AM

1,365 posts, read 3,305,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Lovely gardens, it all looks great.
Thank you, elan! I hope you also have a garden and that you're enjoying it as much as I am!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 10:14 AM

3,319 posts, read 2,224,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
fresno, you simply must re-grow green onions from the grocery store if you like them! Just reserve the bottom inch or so, including the roots, and plant them in moist soil. They grow beautifully in almost anything. I usually wait until they bulb up to about an inch in diameter, then grill them. SO delicious.
Hmmm, NickMan...I re-grow green onions all the time, but so far, only for the leaves! In water, in the winter, they,re the only touch of fresh green we have, along with celery stubs. I've got some green onions outdoors now, so maybe I will let a few of them bulb up, because that sounds goooood.

Old 07-09-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Hmmm, NickMan...I re-grow green onions all the time, but so far, only for the leaves! In water, in the winter, they,re the only touch of fresh green we have, along with celery stubs. I've got some green onions outdoors now, so maybe I will let a few of them bulb up, because that sounds goooood.
Non, I start planting them outside in April (when it's still cold, but the soil is thawed) and it takes quite a long time for them to bulb - about 3 months for me. I have had them get 2-3" in diameter and 3' tall. It's crazy how big they can get. Of course, I do harvest a leaf here and there for salads or stirfry, but I leave the onion in the ground. Leaves grow back extremely quickly.

The ones I have now are probably a foot tall and were planted 03/31/19. They are way behind because of the crazy cool/wet spring we had. I'll include some pics in my next update!

Old 07-10-2019, 10:23 PM

1,907 posts, read 740,563 times
Quote:
Thank you so much, Taz! The flowers looked better in those photos than they do now thanks to several days of hail and torrential downpours. They'll return with vigor with the upcoming heat and break from storms.

The veggies are definitely very healthy, but believe it or not, they are well behind last season. I'm hopeful for a long and mild fall to allow everything a chance to catch up and produce well. If not, this may just be one of those years.

I love growing in containers, but there is a chance I may begin constructing some raised beds in the years to come. I am getting antsy to remove some grass out back and replace it with something useful like gardens. We'll see.

The blueberry plant looks great! I tried one in a whiskey barrel last season - total fail and died within a week. I am not very good with perennials in containers. I'm sure with more practice I could perfect it, but I've lost every perennial I've ever tried in a container.. except for chives which would most likely survive the end of time.
You have a knack for container growing. It’s more challenging than growing something in the ground, but you have pulled it off. Everything looks fabulous and I hope you’re going to share more pictures in the future.

I agree with you on grass, it’s nice but a yard needs paths, gates, fences, raised beds, containers and so on. The blueberries in the pot are starting to turn pink. They like an acid soil, so maybe lack of, is what happened to yours.

Chives, I hear ya! They are just about the easiest herb to grow, wish there were more ways to use them, instead of always putting them on a baked potato.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Exactly! And they can bring a beautiful punch of color to the garden. I just love containers. As the sun moves during the season, they can be moved to take advantage of more sun, less sun, dappled light, etc. My backyard faces due south, so pretty much everything gets full sun all day long, which is what most of it requires anyway. I have noticed, though, that now that my neighbors' trees are getting larger, I have more shade in the morning on the east side and more shade in the afternoon on the west side. Where I used to get a solid 9-10 hours of bright sun across the entire garden, I now only get about 7 on either side. The area toward the center still gets 9 or so hours.
I really like your layout and you’re right, the flowers you planted bring just the right amount of color. You chose well for your color mix, and did I mention that urn is amazing? Do you use granular food or liquid? Whichever it is, the plants are soaking it up.

Moving planters around to take advantage of the light is probably the best thing about containers, that and the convenience of not having to weed.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:12 AM

3,319 posts, read 2,224,011 times
Did someone say CHIVES?

On scrambled egg or in omelets....on potato soup...in mashed potatoes...on any kind of not-sweet salad...over grilled fish...really any savory dish, at the last minute, with minced parsley. Mmmmmmmm.

NickMan, thanks, I'm going to see if we can bulb up a green onion or two.

Old 07-14-2019, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Did someone say CHIVES?

On scrambled egg or in omelets....on potato soup...in mashed potatoes...on any kind of not-sweet salad...over grilled fish...really any savory dish, at the last minute, with minced parsley. Mmmmmmmm.

NickMan, thanks, I'm going to see if we can bulb up a green onion or two.
Thanks for the heads up on chives! I’m going to try some of your suggestions.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:50 AM

Oh, absolutely, chives are amazing on eggs and with potatoes. That's pretty much what I use them for. I also sometimes dehydrate them with green onions. I'll be posting an update in the next day or two.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:30 AM

74,886 posts, read 87,287,657 times
Quote:
Non, I start planting them outside in April (when it's still cold, but the soil is thawed) and it takes quite a long time for them to bulb - about 3 months for me. I have had them get 2-3" in diameter and 3' tall. It's crazy how big they can get. Of course, I do harvest a leaf here and there for salads or stirfry, but I leave the onion in the ground. Leaves grow back extremely quickly.

The ones I have now are probably a foot tall and were planted 03/31/19. They are way behind because of the crazy cool/wet spring we had. I'll include some pics in my next update!
I just mentioned this on the gardening thread I did it this year by accident, will try for more next year.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:15 AM

Time for a mid-July update on the 2019 container garden! Everything is doing quite well now that we've settled into a pattern of hot days and warm nights. We've had a recent good run of 90F+ heat, this past Saturday (07/13/19) being the hottest day so far this season at 97F. Today is supposed to be around 95F and then highs between 97 and 101F through this entire work week. We should cool back to around 90F by Sunday. Lows have been in the 60s and that should continue. We've had some general summertime thunderstorms over the past week with heavy rain, small hail, tons of lightning and some wind, but nothing severe. The same should continue for the next day or two, then dry out through the week before storms return next weekend.

While still way behind last year (about 2-3 weeks), the recent hot weather has definitely encouraged the garden to grow quickly. Tomato plants are finally starting to grow past the tops of their trellises and set some fruit, but not nearly in the numbers I had last season. Pepper plants are setting fruit in abundance and I've picked several large handfuls of jalapenos from about 8 plants. I also picked a few handfuls of banana peppers last evening and probably have enough to pickle a couple of pints. Cucumber and squash plants are growing well and flowering – just waiting for those first fruit to develop. The strawberries were quite good this year (what I could get before the squirrels got) and the raspberries are just starting to ripen and are delicious. I've picked several handfuls of those, as well.

Once I start getting tomatoes in, I'll post some harvest numbers and comments on varieties that are doing well or are otherwise noteworthy in some way. I don't plan to count tomatoes this season, but I will probably still weigh them.

The flowers out front have been hit by hail several times, but always come back beautifully. They look amazing so far this season. I'll probably do a bit of a mid-season prune on the petunias in the next week or two.

Photos of the garden from this past weekend are below! Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
My Container Garden 2019-img_1626.jpg   My Container Garden 2019-img_1633.jpg   My Container Garden 2019-img_1635.jpg   My Container Garden 2019-img_1631.jpg   My Container Garden 2019-img_1642.jpg  

My Container Garden 2019-img_1612.jpg   My Container Garden 2019-img_1614.jpg   My Container Garden 2019-img_1615.jpg   My Container Garden 2019-img_1618.jpg   My Container Garden 2019-img_1622.jpg  

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or