Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 10:15 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,575,531 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I know they are cute, but they are eating a bunch of my perennials. Anyone have success with any deterrents (sprays or noise makers)?? I have tried a deer/rabbit spray and some powdery stuff that I have spread, but it doesn't seem to do much. They seem to love my coral bells, liriope and some of my annuals this year, but I can always switch to other annuals next year. Would like to keep my perennials, but they are looking a bit rough and it's only July. Thanks for any suggestions....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 10:44 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Yeah, I know they are cute, but they are eating a bunch of my perennials. Anyone have success with any deterrents (sprays or noise makers)?? ....
I have a secrete but the problem is I don't know what it is. My neighbors and family always ask me why Rabbits and squirrels don't eat anything out of my 2 vegetable beds that isn't even fenced in. I honestly don't know. Maybe because I have clover around and other material they like and oak trees (acorns)? Is that the trick for you? How about a net? Moth balls?

Old 07-05-2019, 12:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Ours mostly just eat the Hostas and the lower leaves on the roses. Any effective deterrent such as coyote pee will require frequent re-application, and always after rain. A short fence works well, then use tall plants. Our rabbits (cottontails) can only jump up to 2’ high. Amazon sells a rabbit deterrent called “Rabbit Scram”, but I haven’t read the reviews. Mothballs are toxic to birds, pets and children, so are not recommended.

Old 07-05-2019, 12:18 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
If slugs or rabbits like something I plant, I either plant it in a hanging basket or stop planting it. Gardening is supposed to be fun, not frustrating.

As for deer, a fence works like magic.

Old 07-05-2019, 12:21 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,887,329 times
I had an inflatable owl and an inflatable snake I used for a long time. I did not keep scientific data to see if they helped.

But now I'm moving into a house with rats in the shrubbery and crawlspace so I'm going to buy another owl or two.

Old 07-05-2019, 03:04 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times
How about a carrot in a live animal trap? Here's an excellent recipe:

Lapin à la Moutarde

Ingredients:

1 large rabbit (3–4 lbs), cut into serving pieces
salt and freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup flour
4 tbsp unsalted butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
12 each button mushrooms
1⁄2 cup Chablis wine or other dry white wine
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup of mixed diced carrots, celery, and onion
1 bouquet garni (thyme, parsley, bay leaf)
1⁄3 cup crème fraîche
1⁄2 cup Dijon mustard
2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
8 oz egg noodles, cooked
Directions:

Season the rabbit pieces with salt and pepper, smear with a little flour, and remove excess coating.

Heat 2 tbsp of the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sear rabbit pieces, turning frequently, until rabbit is very crisp, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a platter.

Reduce heat to medium and melt remaining 2 tbsp butter in skillet. Add the mixed diced vegetables, then the mushrooms, and cook until light brown, stirring occasionally until softened, 8-10 minutes.

Add Chablis wine to skillet and scrape up any browned bits. Add the chicken broth and bring to boil, then return rabbit pieces to the skillet, along with bouquet garni. Cover and cook until rabbit is tender, about 35 minutes.
Remove the rabbit, then reduce the sauce by half, stir in crème fraîche and Dijon mustard, then simmer for 8 minutes. Remove from heat and let the sauce rest while you cook the egg noodles, then finish with little raw butter.
Dress the noodles on a large platter and top with the rabbit pieces. Taste the sauce for seasoning and pour on top of the dish. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley.

Yum!

Old 07-05-2019, 03:15 PM

65 posts, read 50,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Yeah, I know they are cute, but they are eating a bunch of my perennials. Anyone have success with any deterrents (sprays or noise makers)?? I have tried a deer/rabbit spray and some powdery stuff that I have spread, but it doesn't seem to do much. They seem to love my coral bells, liriope and some of my annuals this year, but I can always switch to other annuals next year. Would like to keep my perennials, but they are looking a bit rough and it's only July. Thanks for any suggestions....
My wife makes a concoction out of chili powder which she sprays around her perennials. It seems to work, but you know, this summer has been kind of rainy.

https://www.hunker.com/13429471/home...cayenne-pepper

I use a Hav-A-Hart trap, medium size, baited with apples. I relocate them at least 3 to 4 miles away. Put the trap where you see them. Some of the smaller rabbits will not trip the trap door, so add a little weight to it (either a flat rock or a magnet).

Old 07-05-2019, 05:06 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,948 times
no help, sorry.
we "used to" repel, trap, and kill.
but...after our dogs found a nest with new-born kits,
AND my wife saw it, we essentially "feed" them now.
but, they have to be quick to beat the deer.

Old 07-05-2019, 05:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I had an inflatable owl and an inflatable snake I used for a long time. I did not keep scientific data to see if they helped.

But now I'm moving into a house with rats in the shrubbery and crawlspace so I'm going to buy another owl or two.
We just got home and one was on the front lawn next to the driveway near the street. It ignored us unloading, and even a dog on leash walking by that barked at him. Just kept eating grass. (Which I don’t mind, a few more and maybe no more mowing).

Old 07-05-2019, 05:37 PM

7,334 posts, read 4,127,994 times
I have tons of rabbits each year. I brought wire fencing which stops them from getting into my veggies.

18 in. x 10 ft. Green Folding Metal Wire Garden Fence
https://www.homedepot.com/p/18-in-x-...8009/202535952

The rest of the garden is up for grabs. These poor creatures lost so much of their natural habitat, I don't care if they chew my perennials.

As for rabbit meat, its too hard to eat with so many little bones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden