U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2019, 09:19 AM

20,638 posts, read 9,328,405 times

Advertisements

https://www.mnn.com/your-home/organi...bitter-lawsuit

After 6 years, a Miami Shores couple wins their fight - not in the courts, but by getting a state law enacted. (The new law still allows HOAs to prohibit growing veggies in your front yard.)

I don't understand the mindset that says Black Magic kale is too unsightly for your front yard but hostas are not. Especially when hostas are - wait for it - grown as vegetables in Japan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019, 10:01 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
31,744 posts, read 57,843,757 times
I’m glad they got rid of that crazy law. Here, many of us including me have a greenhouse in our front yard, and vegetable gardens are encouraged over lawns to save water, though we would only have to water grass in August anyway with rain all other months.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:35 AM

72,198 posts, read 55,211,335 times
Didn't know it was illegal anywhere because that sounds crazy. It took this long to figure it out?

I'm sure there's a good reason for it. Maybe it attracts rodents to neighborhoods more? Maybe some people don't keep a nice looking garden? Maybe it attracts thieves?

Not illegal here. I see Fig trees, gardens, Potato plot, pumpkins, ect in front yards. Doesn't bother anyone.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:37 AM

75,038 posts, read 87,475,993 times
There are so many outdated laws on the books. We would probably all be shocked if we knew how many. bt

Old 07-08-2019, 12:07 PM

9,370 posts, read 7,010,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Didn't know it was illegal anywhere because that sounds crazy. It took this long to figure it out?

I'm sure there's a good reason for it. Maybe it attracts rodents to neighborhoods more? Maybe some people don't keep a nice looking garden? Maybe it attracts thieves?

Not illegal here. I see Fig trees, gardens, Potato plot, pumpkins, ect in front yards. Doesn't bother anyone.
The same reason in some places you can't park an RV in your driveway. Some consider it low-brow.

Old 07-08-2019, 12:43 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
31,744 posts, read 57,843,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
The same reason in some places you can't park an RV in your driveway. Some consider it low-brow.
Mine is parked on the side lawn, under 80-100' fir trees. Visitors can use it and feel like they are camping.

Old 07-08-2019, 03:24 PM

72,198 posts, read 55,211,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Comparing plants to an atrocious vehicle? Apples and Oranges.

Old 07-08-2019, 03:40 PM

20,638 posts, read 9,328,405 times
Quote:

Some years back, there was a rash of people being forced to destroy their front-yard food gardens, all across the US.

There was such an overwhelming negative public reaction that I'd be surprised if any town official would try it these days

Towns do have the power to enforce esthetic standards. No one wants to live next door to a dump. The argument seems to go that vegetables constitute an eyesore simply because they are vegetables. Doesn't matter if the the garden is well-tended.

Another reason is that towns worry that a person in a residential area growing food in the front yard is trying to get around no-farming-and/or-businesses-in-residential-zones rules.

I understand the concerns, but surely it can't be that hard to demonstrate that a well-kept garden in the front yard is neither non-obnoxious to look at nor a profit-making farm operation.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:17 PM

28,339 posts, read 34,925,806 times
Quote:
Comparing plants to an atrocious vehicle? Apples and Oranges.
Agreed! No comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or