U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 05:59 PM

72,085 posts, read 54,999,012 times

Advertisements

I was watering my garden and behind me I heard some plastic being chewed.

See it?

Close up. That's one determined squirrel! & it's only 1. The other 3 in the area aren't bothering.

I'm just gonna keep blocking it to see how nuts they are.. I wont hurt the squirrel. They are just looking to survive like we are. Eventually either it will give up or I will. I am scared because this is my backyard and I got Tomatoes and garden beds just 50 feet away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 08:30 PM

27,303 posts, read 25,883,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
We would keep our duck feed in the metal garbage cans and the squirrels would leave blood on the lids trying to chew through the cans.

We could not even put out wooded birdhouses because the squirrels would chew through them.
That's serious. I've dealt with nuisance squirrels, but they weren't chewing until they were bleeding.

I once had a lot of battling, territorial, squirrels in my front yard. I said enough was enough when they had a rodent rumble under the hood of my car.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:48 AM

1,602 posts, read 563,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Oh, I believe it. Squirrels are rodents, after all (just like rats and mice.)

If I were storing bird seed outdoors, I'd either use a galvanized metal container or put the plastic one inside a metal one (with a lid, of course.)

That's assuming one doesn't have raccoons in the area; they are good at figuring out lids.
Reminds me of that line from Sex and the City "squirrels are like rats but with a cuter outfit."

Old 07-11-2019, 07:41 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,604,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Not that you want to attract squirrels but you may be able to "distract" them from chewing on other stuff by putting out a piece of deer antler - it's usually marketed to big dogs as a chew toy but it's a lot harder than the typical kind of bone.

Would that have any effect on the deer themselves? I get deer. every.single.night in my yard. They are the biggest problem I have, even more so than the squirrels and the rabbits. It's a battle to save my landscaping constantly and trying to get deer resistant plants and spraying repellent. I've also used coyote and wolf urine to no avail.

I get an average of 6 deer at a time but the other night as I pulled in the driveway there were about 15 deer in my headlights and that's only what I could see in the headlights.

I'm 2nd to last house backed up to a wooded mountain.

Those squirrels chew on just about anything out there. I think tossing an antler out might just be one more thing rather than an alternative. But hey... it's worth a try!
At my old house they would hang on the bricks and lick the mortar a lot (salt). lol.. took me a while and some research to find out what they were doing.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:45 AM

2,833 posts, read 1,935,530 times
Squirrels chewed the handles off our plastic garbage can lids and if they couldn’t get in, they peed on the lids. For years. We put bird seed in small galvanized cans which stopped the squirrels.

We had our old garage/shed torn down and a new one built. DH designed the small doors on the right to store the garbage cans and recycle bins and the box enclosing it inside the garage was used a workbench. The doors were metal edged and we never had a problem again. I posted a pic in this thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/house...-inside-5.html

Old 07-11-2019, 08:11 AM

15,917 posts, read 12,707,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That's serious. I've dealt with nuisance squirrels, but they weren't chewing until they were bleeding.

I once had a lot of battling, territorial, squirrels in my front yard. I said enough was enough when they had a rodent rumble under the hood of my car.
The bleeding could have come from chipmunks or mice? I suspect squirrels because they are diehards at getting in where they are not wanted. It was not just one time with blood on the lids; many times we used to find blood on the duck food metal lids. Everybody loves duck food; including the deer that quack me up! Sometimes I would catch a deer with it's head in the duck metal feeder; then we would have to keep their feeders inside their cages.

As far as squirrels fighting: Yes some do not want to share. Some of the most aggressive fighting I have ever witnessed is between red and grey squirrels and the little red squirrels are always the aggressors. The larger grey squirrels flee!

For our neighborhood, what stops most grey squirrel destruction, is one good Fall hawk migration. The last few years I have not seen that many hawks; but I easily could have missed them.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:38 AM

1,688 posts, read 505,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I got 2 metal cans with tight fitting lids on Amazon. They are like miniature old fashioned metal trash cans. No moisture & no rodents.
Tractor’s supply has covered metal buckets as well as HD.
Only metal would do.
They can chew through wood as well.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:48 PM

27,303 posts, read 25,883,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The bleeding could have come from chipmunks or mice? I suspect squirrels because they are diehards at getting in where they are not wanted. It was not just one time with blood on the lids; many times we used to find blood on the duck food metal lids. Everybody loves duck food; including the deer that quack me up! Sometimes I would catch a deer with it's head in the duck metal feeder; then we would have to keep their feeders inside their cages.

As far as squirrels fighting: Yes some do not want to share. Some of the most aggressive fighting I have ever witnessed is between red and grey squirrels and the little red squirrels are always the aggressors. The larger grey squirrels flee!

For our neighborhood, what stops most grey squirrel destruction, is one good Fall hawk migration. The last few years I have not seen that many hawks; but I easily could have missed them.
There are two grey squirrels with red tails in my yard, so they must get along once in a while.

I've had a few hawks dive with that piercing scream through my yard. The cat on the screened porch did air time and hid for the rest of the day. I've heard owls in this area, too.

Old 07-12-2019, 05:32 AM

15,917 posts, read 12,707,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
There are two grey squirrels with red tails in my yard, so they must get along once in a while.

I've had a few hawks dive with that piercing scream through my yard. The cat on the screened porch did air time and hid for the rest of the day. I've heard owls in this area, too.
They are probably Fox squirrels: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_squirrel. I have a feeling that it wasn't that they called a truce for a romantic night out. Of course that might have happened in their ancient past?

My sister has a Red Tailed hawk that moved into her neighborhood and most of the squirrels moved out or became food.

Of course, for the people that enjoy feeding squirrels, at least feeding them concentrates the squirrels for the hawks and other predators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or