U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 03:46 PM

8,649 posts, read 7,407,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

...... My suggestion would be to have a narrow 8" border of either rocks or bark mulch that goes along all the exterior walls.....

I just noticed I made an error when I typed the above and now it's too late to edit it. I meant to say at least 18 inches. I agree with MrRational and BBCjunkie about having a wider hardscaped border around the house for maintenance and other reasons stated. Although in my particular location and climate I personally would not find the need to extend it further than 24 inches out from the walls.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 03:52 PM

15,870 posts, read 32,923,095 times
Mondo grass will grow up against the foundation, but it’s not technically considered to be a grass. I doubt it would survive in Colorado though.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:36 PM

7,191 posts, read 8,874,895 times
You don't want any plants or mulch directly against the house foundation. Unless you like termites and other bugs to have a nice place to nest.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:57 PM

2,697 posts, read 928,311 times
I would and do use either colored gravel or rubber much right up against the foundation wall!

Old 07-13-2019, 06:39 PM

1,715 posts, read 1,102,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Agree - most plants or even grass don't thrive because that area is INTENTIONALLY kept dry to protect the foundation. You don't want it to be moist. If you must, have extra wide beds for shrubs/flowers but have the actual plants at least a couple feet away from the foundation. Don't use plants that will require a lot of extra water - you don't want to be watering the foundation constantly.
Additionally, at some point you may want to add soil next to the house to re-build the slope away from the house if needed, so that water does not pool against the foundation.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:15 AM

2,276 posts, read 4,669,793 times
So the foundation isn't concrete, it is charcoal colored stucco (I know it's odd). To be specific, it is concrete covered in styrofoam, covered in smooth stucco. Compounding the problem is about 20 feet of windows approximately 1 foot above ground level. My guess is that the heat radiating off the glass and stucco is what is killing the grass approximately 8" out from the foundation. It looks like I may have to just live with it or put in a rock border. I don't want ANY plants at all.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:36 AM

29,831 posts, read 65,508,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
It looks like I may have to just... put in a rock border.
There ya go.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:51 PM

2,688 posts, read 986,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
So the foundation isn't concrete, it is charcoal colored stucco (I know it's odd). To be specific, it is concrete covered in styrofoam, covered in smooth stucco.

Just as a trivia-FYI, stucco is just another form of concrete. The basic ingredients are almost exactly the same, the main difference is the ratio. But they are both cementitious mixes.

The basic "ingredients" in stucco are Portland cement, water, sand, and lime. Sometimes some acrylic is added to make it easier to spread, and of course if it's colored that's because of an added dye. But stucco is cement.

Concrete is simply a mix of Portland cement, water, and "aggregate" (rocks, stones, pebbles) of various sizes and ratios. The size and amount of aggregate depends on the use that is being made of the concrete mix. For example, the aggregate in a poured concrete house foundation is likely to have larger size stones, rocks, etc than the concrete mix that is used for a concrete driveway.

Sometimes concrete has an additive or two if it's for a speciality purpose; for example, the "mix" that is used to build and repair dams has an additive that allows the concrete to harden extremely quickly -- so fast, in fact, that it can actually be poured underwater. Normal concrete (say, for a foundation or patio or driveway) would not set or cure properly under those conditions.

Old 08-22-2019, 02:58 AM

2 posts, read 667 times
Conducting a soil test will help you with this. You can use organic fertilizers and mulch for lawn maintenance. It will boost even grass growth. Also, try to till the soil and provide water regularly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or