U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2019, 12:27 PM

2,726 posts, read 940,890 times

Advertisements

Growing two types of tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets and one hot chili pepper plant. It seem the one type of tomatoes are ready so I picked a bunch.

Should these be set in a sunny location in the house in order to continue ripening ?

And, how long until they’ll be best to eat?

I read that the peppers should be hung and dry for a month or two?
Attached Thumbnails
My first Tomato & Pepper harvest-f169079b-7962-4b37-903d-756f75e2599c.jpeg   My first Tomato & Pepper harvest-88750c36-292e-4658-b022-c33c69f4a184.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 09:09 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
31,734 posts, read 57,797,879 times
If you want the tomatoes to ripen faster, put them in a closed paper bag with an apple. Never put tomatoes in the refrigerator, they will get mealy and won’t ripen. For salads, refrigerate just for an hour before eating. In the sun in a window will be OK but they are best eaten when allowed to ripen completely on the vine, pick, then eat the same day.

Old 07-14-2019, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
If you want the tomatoes to ripen faster, put them in a closed paper bag with an apple. Never put tomatoes in the refrigerator, they will get mealy and won’t ripen. For salads, refrigerate just for an hour before eating. In the sun in a window will be OK but they are best eaten when allowed to ripen completely on the vine, pick, then eat the same day.
Great info that’s very helpful, thank you ❗️

Old 07-14-2019, 06:10 AM

72,156 posts, read 55,129,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Growing two types of tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets and one hot chili pepper plant. It seem the one type of tomatoes are ready so I picked a bunch.

Should these be set in a sunny location in the house in order to continue ripening ?

Looking great! Peppers can be picked and eaten anytime while growing on the plant. (meaning while they're green too). Unless you are drying them to make pepper flakes, you don't have to wait to enjoy them.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:58 AM

821 posts, read 1,157,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post

Like someone else mentioned, the tomatoes can be put into a paper bag with a banana or an apple to help ripen faster.

The peppers you can let them hang, or you can quickly roast them in the oven. It does take a few hours to dry them out in the oven, but if you want them within this week and not next month or a few months down the road, you can hang them.

Oven method is:
  • Cut the tops of the peppers,
  • Place them on a sheet tray or flat pan.
  • Bake at 200 to 250 for 3 to 5 hours.
  • Around the 5 hour mark, turn the oven off but keep the peppers in the oven.
  • OR, if you're baking anything that night, like chicken or a roast, after you turn the oven off, place the peppers in the oven. Let the oven cool. By the end of the night, the peppers will be dried out and ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Looking great! Peppers can be picked and eaten anytime while growing on the plant. (meaning while they're green too). Unless you are drying them to make pepper flakes, you don't have to wait to enjoy them.
In addition to using red peppers to make flakes, I assumed the flake makers only used red cayenne peppers to make the flakes. I found out they use any kind of red pepper, even a red bell pepper! Makes for an interesting mix.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:34 AM

Just hanging some peppers for now since there are too many for the two of us to eat that quickly.

Sounds good, thanks to all for the helpful info!

Old 07-14-2019, 08:00 AM

7,936 posts, read 4,928,352 times
I wouldn't be picking homegrown tomatoes until they are fully ripe. They'll never have the best flavor, just as store tomatoes don't have good flavor because they are picked too soon. Leave them on the bush until they are completely red and yield slightly to pressure.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:17 PM

27,368 posts, read 25,939,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I wouldn't be picking homegrown tomatoes until they are fully ripe. They'll never have the best flavor, just as store tomatoes don't have good flavor because they are picked too soon. Leave them on the bush until they are completely red and yield slightly to pressure.
I wait until they're almost ready to fall off of the vine. Then, I eat as many as I can between the garden and the house. Really, not any more. Too many animals ate too much of my harvest to bother. Now everything is in pots on the deck railing. Even those aren't safe.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:12 AM

1,120 posts, read 274,115 times
Decided to try gardening this year, but I was still living at my condo, so I had to do everything in pots. Moved in with the girlfriend who has a house and gets a lot of sun in her backyard. Out of respect for her since I had just moved in, I kept the veggies in their pots and put them on her deck. I keep forgetting to take pics of the plans, but everything is HUGE!!! Here are some pics of the jalapeno and orange bell peppers, as well some cherry tomatoes and some strawberries. We eat the strawberries as they come in. I had to start picking the tomatoes because they were weighing the branches down, and I have a TON of flowers/buds on the plant. Even after staking it, I still had to pick some.

Old 07-23-2019, 03:37 PM

4,549 posts, read 9,800,468 times
Never put tomatoes in the refrigerator as you'll lose most of the flavor. Pick them off the vine the same day you are going to eat them.

On a different note, I tried growing bell peppers and banana peppers in pots last year. They looked nice but there was very little flavor. Not sure what I did wrong. They were in mostly full sun and I watered them every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or