U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 04:50 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
31,745 posts, read 57,843,757 times

Advertisements

Hey also have “scouts” that stay in the area but outside of the nest and will attack you from behind. It’s just a matter of having long pants and sleeves, and saturate the nest and run. I have done it several times with nests the size of a football in a tree. Without seeing the nest it’s a lot more difficult to avoid being stung. The sprays will shoot 25’, and being pretty cheap, I would get several cans and just try just before dark when they are all in the nest, so a sort of sweeping spray, until empty, then run. Repeat from a different place the next day and the next. Even when the nest is dead, there will be. A few stragglers hanging around so it’s hard to tell when you actually got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 12:47 PM

15,966 posts, read 12,759,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Hey also have “scouts” that stay in the area but outside of the nest and will attack you from behind. It’s just a matter of having long pants and sleeves, and saturate the nest and run. I have done it several times with nests the size of a football in a tree. Without seeing the nest it’s a lot more difficult to avoid being stung. The sprays will shoot 25’, and being pretty cheap, I would get several cans and just try just before dark when they are all in the nest, so a sort of sweeping spray, until empty, then run. Repeat from a different place the next day and the next. Even when the nest is dead, there will be. A few stragglers hanging around so it’s hard to tell when you actually got it.
If one was really worried about getting stung they could buy a bee keepers hat like these on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/slp/bee-hat/ysbbrzc6xovt6re. If they combined that with heavy, long sleeved, shirts and long pants; they could minimize the risk (heavy gloves would also help).

The do-it-yourself, if successful, will be considerably cheaper than the 'professionals'. I have killed many nest where I could not see the nest. But I have never had one behind lattice work, I do suspect that the sprays would also work on the OP's nest.

Back in the early 1960's (at the age of fourteen) I was given a product called 'Cynogas' to kill the yellow jackets. No respirator; just instructions to never stand downwind. I would apply about an eighth of a teaspoon and hit it with water and watch the bees drop from the sky. Of course today they would lock up the hotel manager that gave me the product to use! But it did work and nothing survived. That product was on the grocery store shelves back then; I presume that it was recalled many years ago.

Old 07-28-2019, 01:59 PM

281 posts, read 2,094,348 times
So a follow up that might help others. I killed them on my own I already had on hand one of those extension poles you get at the big box stores... the telescoping ones typically sold where they sell window washing supplies. This pole extends 20-30 feet if I had to guess. Next, I bought this nifty device (I won’t mention by name, since I’m not sure if that’s allowed on here) but it is a custom clamping mechanism that simply screws onto the head of most poles. You can put a can of spray bug killer in the clamp or a duster bellows. I got the clamp and bellows for a little under $50. And there’s a long string that connects to a pulley lever on the clamp, so when you pull the string from way down the other end of your pole, the lever angles down onto the can and the bug spray fires. Plenty of safe distance. For my kill I used Tempo Dust in the bellows blower, went out at dusk, inserted the nozzle of the bellows blower through the lattice (again I’m standing some 20-30 feet away) And I pumped the cavity under the porch full of dust. Took about 2 days to kill them all. So if you are DIY this can be done for under $100 if you already have the pole, not much more if you need to buy one. And i will get to keep all the gear. I also saw a few bees flying under my back porch, so another idea for others: I took my iPhone and attached it to the extension pole with some elastics, turned on video record, and then swooped it gently under the deck, allowing me to find the location of that nest. Hope these ideas help others who wish to kill these pests from safe distance.

Old 07-28-2019, 03:27 PM

8,728 posts, read 7,460,254 times
Very innovative ideas !!!

Old 07-28-2019, 10:56 PM

1,536 posts, read 1,335,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motifone View Post
So a follow up that might help others. I killed them on my own I already had on hand one of those extension poles you get at the big box stores... the telescoping ones typically sold where they sell window washing supplies. This pole extends 20-30 feet if I had to guess. Next, I bought this nifty device (I won’t mention by name, since I’m not sure if that’s allowed on here) but it is a custom clamping mechanism that simply screws onto the head of most poles. You can put a can of spray bug killer in the clamp or a duster bellows. I got the clamp and bellows for a little under $50. And there’s a long string that connects to a pulley lever on the clamp, so when you pull the string from way down the other end of your pole, the lever angles down onto the can and the bug spray fires. Plenty of safe distance. For my kill I used Tempo Dust in the bellows blower, went out at dusk, inserted the nozzle of the bellows blower through the lattice (again I’m standing some 20-30 feet away) And I pumped the cavity under the porch full of dust. Took about 2 days to kill them all. So if you are DIY this can be done for under $100 if you already have the pole, not much more if you need to buy one. And i will get to keep all the gear. I also saw a few bees flying under my back porch, so another idea for others: I took my iPhone and attached it to the extension pole with some elastics, turned on video record, and then swooped it gently under the deck, allowing me to find the location of that nest. Hope these ideas help others who wish to kill these pests from safe distance.
Very clever! So glad you got rid of those devils.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:35 AM

133 posts, read 35,097 times
Well done! You should go into the extermination business, motifone.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:33 AM

7,121 posts, read 8,721,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motifone View Post
So if you are DIY this can be done for under $100 if you already have the pole, not much more if you need to buy one.
Although the OP has already poisoned his yellow jackets, I've found that a shop vac works wonders in these situations. A small nest can be dispatched rather quickly. A larger nest may take some time. The cost of the electricity is nominal--but you don't want to open the shop vac for a while. It's an easy way to avoid using poisonous chemicals around the house while efficiently taking care of the problem.

NOTE: Even if the nest can't be seen, there's usually a point of entry which can be targeted.

Old 07-31-2019, 05:14 AM

41,392 posts, read 59,760,403 times
The problem with the paper wasps is that you kill the nest in one place (Do it in dusk, when they go to sleep:
https://www.peststrategies.com/revie...hornet-sprays/ )
But they will build a new nest just next to it. I don't have problem detecting those nests, but they are just too many and constantly building new. They are a nuisance most of the year. Very angry when disturbed and they do trigger a security camera.

They build their nests all around my house.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio,
Tallahassee, Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-29-2019, 02:22 AM

517 posts, read 409,992 times
Set a trap for them, & bait it with their favorite food. I built a moat using various sized dishes, putting food in the center & water around it. They often dip down & get stuck in the water while trying to leave. (I used wet cat food or meat for bait.) It took a few days, but it was rworth it not having to use poison!!!

"How to Make a Meat-Bee Trap"
How to: Meat Bee Trap | Sierra Foothill Garden
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden