Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 01:15 PM

320 posts, read 2,527,820 times

Advertisements

Hi there.

Looking for some suggestions on how to kill/eliminate yellow jackets under a front porch. This is a new home and yellow jackets are coming and going through the lattice of this front porch. Problem is I cannot see the nest. It's possible it is on the underside of the porch floor, which is made of planks with minimal space between the planks.

Any suggestions? Aerosols cans aren't ideal because I can't see the nest, though I suspect it is around the corner area. I really need something that I can stick through a lattice hole and create a wide dispersal of poison. My thought was to buy something concentrate, mix it in a sprayer, and put the wand through the lattice and set the sprayer to unload automatically... but can't seem to find a proper concentrate.

Thanks in advance for suggestions. The lattice is fixed in place and cannot be removed in a quick fashion.
Attached Thumbnails
Killing out of reach yellow jackets under porch?-img_6887.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 04:14 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,006,450 times
You are taking guesses at where you think it might be and you can't even access it properly. For that particularly difficult location where you can't see where the nest entrance is (how do you know it isn't an underground nest under the porch? It could be underground so broad range dispersal is not good enough and will just make the wasps incredibly furious.) I think you need the services of a professional exterminator who has the right protective equipment and the tools needed to actually locate and assess the nest entrance exactly and then determine exactly what the conditions are and what steps and materials will be required to use.

Old 07-13-2019, 05:24 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,119,168 times
The flying wasp bug killers made by the different companies do a great job at killing these pest. The 'Black Flag' and 'Raid' cans that shoot a long distance do a great job; they will kill the nasty little critters on contact.

That said; your problem is that you do not see the nest. I have to presume that you see the location where most of the bees enter? That is probably closest to their nest. You could try a hit or miss approach with one of these cans that spray a long distance. I would approach your problem covered up as much as possible, including 'safety goggles' - just in case things go wrong. I would also not try this if you have an allergy to bee stings; then leave it up to the professionals. These sprays will knock the bees right out the air and I have been pretty lucky at not being stung lately. If you saturate the area though the lattice there is a good chance some of it will hit the nest. It might not be enough to eliminate the nest on one application; but it should cut down the numbers substantially. It also has a residual killing affect.

Those cans cost only $10 to $15 and an extermination could cost hundreds. I think that it might be worth a try. I had those bees under my T-111 siding where the top sheet overlapped the bottom sheet. So they could get in many places. I simply sprayed where most of them entered and that killed the nest. I cannot promise you the same results; but I wish you good luck. Don't linger in the area too long after you give it a good dose of the spray and keep others away for some time.

Old 07-13-2019, 05:54 PM

320 posts, read 2,527,820 times
Thanks, appreciate the ideas. Yes, I will certainly consider an exterminator, but seeing what DIY options there are. I see there are some dust type applications one can use that might be effective since they disperse. Whatever approach, this would be a late night or early morning attempt. I'm thinking over the winter maybe I can find a way to take down the lattice and put a fine screen behind it so as not to have this problem year after year.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:40 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,773,520 times
I think I'd call in the professionals for this one. I had a similar situation in an irrigation box and thought I could handle it. I couldn't see the nest very well and must have missed my target. All the spraying did was make the yellow jackets angry and I got attacked by about five of them. That's how I found out I'm allergic! Not a good day. I called out the pros then. If you do tackle it, be certain that you've covered up as much of your skin as possible. They're attracted to your pheromones. I had on shorts and short sleeves that memorable day - if I'd been thoroughly covered I might have had a different outcome, according to my pest guy.

The spray cans work great when you can see the nest. But I wouldn't recommend them in a situation like yours. Once they've gone you can safely get in there and put the screen up. Good luck!

Old 07-14-2019, 12:31 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
At one point, I used a wasp killing smoke bomb. If you can find one of those, set it off under the deck and see if that will get rid of them.

You can also go out at night when they are asleep and saturate the area under the deck with a pump sprayer and regular bug spray. That might encourage them to move out.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:25 PM

83,498 posts, read 75,223,829 times
That's a bad spot! Last thing you wanna be doing is sticking your arm in the hole to spray and they come after you.

Wonder if they sell some kind of Bee Bomb. Like flea bombs. Throw it under there and run!

Old 07-14-2019, 01:56 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,082,704 times
When I sprayed at yellow jackets they were smart enough to figure where the stream was coming from and fly onto my hand and sting it. So the next time I went out on a rainy day to spray them and I was on an atv. You’d be better off with an exterminator

Old 07-15-2019, 10:18 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,467,632 times
Wait for a rainy day, bundle up in a few baggy layers and some sort of head gear, and spray and pray and run.

Or, if you have a go pro, put it on a stick and do some recon first.

Or just hire an exterminator who will gear up and just go do it.

Old 07-15-2019, 03:15 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,006,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
When I sprayed at yellow jackets they were smart enough to figure where the stream was coming from and fly onto my hand and sting it. So the next time I went out on a rainy day to spray them and I was on an atv. You’d be better off with an exterminator
Wasps and hornets are also smart enough to go for the face and eyelids too while you are spraying them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden