U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 01:11 PM

2,766 posts, read 3,238,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Isn't that Rose Rosette?
https://agrilifeextension.tamu.edu/l...rosette-virus/

I believe you can fight it, but you won't win. If I'm right, the bushes have to be replaced.

I'm going to go with "no", mostly because that's a new stalk growing and that seems normal for my rose bushes (new stalks are red then they turn green). It's just growing where it shouldn't be and the green "poky" things stood out until I realized, omg, are those bugs! LOL.

I'll look into the rest of the symptoms, just in case though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 02:29 PM

8,674 posts, read 7,422,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
For that photo that I put up, if anything, all I'm going to do is cut that stalk (it doesn't belong there anyways), however, it just means the rest of it is probably invested too. Yuck. Do I need to wait for it to stop raining? Does it need to be a warm day or anything? I hope I don't kill any of the good bugs. My poor rose bushes.

That stalk is new growth. Aphids attack new growth because it is more tender and easier for them to get through the soft surface 'skin' to the sweet juices underneath the surface. Cut that stalk off if you wish but you should still inspect any new growth elsewhere on all of your roses and spray them as necessary.

No, you don't have to wait for it to stop raining, you should do it immediately but you should still hose down the bushes with fresh water first to knock off any beneficial insects that may be on them. Water from the hose will knock off non-sucking insects but it won't knock off the aphids because they have their sucking tubes stuck right into the tender rose stems anchoring them in place. Then spray the soapy water on the plants and aphids even if it is still raining. The rain will make the soapy water more dilute and it will drip and run off faster but you can counteract that by saturating it thoroughly, let it sit for a short while and then saturate it again if necessary before finally washing everything off with the hose at the end of the treatment. Then give it all a very light misting of soapy water that gets left on. If it continues to rain then the rain is going to eventually wash it all off anyway. Any soapy water remaining won't hurt the plants, and any that dries onto the plants is not going to hurt any beneficial insects that return to the plants later.

I get fat green aphids on my roses from time to time, like the ones you have, but when my fresh new Shasta daisy flowers and my tender alpine poppy flowers or nasturtium flowers are just getting ready to open up they almost always get attacked by swarms of nasty tiny black aphids that can end up thickly coating the stems beneath the opening blooms so they look like they've been dipped in thick black paint or tar. They are horrible little things. I spray them with soapy water and then wash the dead aphids off with fresh water shortly afterwards. Then I lightly mist the plants with soapy solution again but I don't even bother to wash them off with fresh water later, I let the second application of misted soapy water dry on the plants and leave it on. Any dried soapy water that is remaining on the stems and blooms eventually rinses of anyway just from evening dew. But while it's on there it does not hurt the plants and it doesn't hurt the beneficial non-sucking insects that return to the plants later but it does discourage more aphids or other sucking insects from attacking the plants for longer periods of time between treatments.

Old 07-15-2019, 04:59 PM

1,412 posts, read 737,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Thanks everyone. I'll get on the soapy water thing as soon as the rain let's up. Does it matter what kind of soap I use? I think I've read to use Dawn. Yuck, I just couldn't believe how many there were!!!

Actually, it's under a rose topiary or whatever you want to call it (see attached), but the spots are on everything. It has been a weird summer (humid, rainy, overcast) where nothing is drying out except every so often.
Dawn is fine. The soapy water has to coat the aphids to suffocate them. It will also kill spider mites, but you probably don't have any.

Your plants will get more fungal diseases when it's wet. You can get rose varieties that are more resistant to black spot, or put up with it in the odd wet year. I grow wild bergamot, which gets a bit of mildew. I think of it as variegated.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:28 PM

2,797 posts, read 1,529,967 times
If it's just a small area like that, I just scrape them off with a twig. They squish easily. Very satisfying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or