U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 02:11 PM

2,766 posts, read 3,246,384 times

Advertisements

Whoops. Wrong board. Can a mod move this to the Garden board? If not, please delete it. Mod note: Thread moved.

Sadly, all my rose bushes, although still doing really well, have a lot of issues going on with them. The leaves have dark spots, seems to be a lot of spiders, the wasps or whatever they are love the roses (sucks when I have to trim them), and then I saw this (see pic). OMG, yuck. Are those aphids? How do I get rid of them? I had put ladybugs on the bushes a few months back and they're there, but maybe they can't control that many bugs.

Photo Link

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-13-2019 at 05:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 02:17 PM

39,179 posts, read 48,151,698 times
I use Bayer All in one, Rose & Flower on my roses. It is a granular systemic that kills bugs, diseases and fertilizes. I apply it on the holidays (St Patrick’s, Memorial Day, July 4th and Labor Day).

It works beautifully and only harms bugs that chew the plant.

Last edited by gentlearts; 07-13-2019 at 02:58 PM..

Old 07-13-2019, 07:11 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,545,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I use Bayer All in one, Rose & Flower on my roses. It is a granular systemic that kills bugs, diseases and fertilizes. I apply it on the holidays (St Patrick’s, Memorial Day, July 4th and Labor Day).

It works beautifully and only harms bugs that chew the plant.

Are you sure it doesn't cause harm? According to this, it does: "Insecticides containing imidacloprid, including the Bayer Advanced 3-in-1 line, are a case in point. Imidacloprid kills the honey bees that help feed the world."

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/bayer-...ees-80840.html

Old 07-13-2019, 08:54 PM

8,729 posts, read 7,460,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post

....... OMG, yuck. Are those aphids? How do I get rid of them? I had put ladybugs on the bushes a few months back and they're there, but maybe they can't control that many bugs.

Photo Link

Yes, that's a heavy infestation of aphids sucking the juices out of the roses. And yes, there are way too many of them for your free ranging ladybugs to keep up with all of them. For a really quick instant fix - first of all check to see if there are ladybugs on the roses and if there are some then hose down the bushes with water to knock off any ladybugs that are on them so the ladybugs will go away for a little while. It's for the ladybug's safety. Then fill a big spray bottle with soapy water (you can use dish soap) and spray the rose plants and aphids very liberally with the soapy solution.

Saturate every inch of the plants everywhere including spraying under the leaves and down all the stems. The plants should be dripping wet with soapy water all over. Let sit and drip dry for an hour, then use the garden hose to hose the plants down thoroughly with fresh water. It will wash off the soap and all the dead/dying insects as well as aphid eggs.

If necessary (or just for your peace of mind) you can spray the soapy water on a second time again, only do a light misting the second time but still mist it all over and then leave that soapy water on overnight. Rinse again first thing in the morning with water from the garden hose. They should be okay for several weeks after that before more aphids come back but you should still check them every day or two to be on the safe side.

I use the soapy water any time I see aphids or spit bugs on any plants and don't usually have to worry about those plants getting those bugs on them again for several weeks after a treatment, if at all.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:26 AM

39,179 posts, read 48,151,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Are you sure it doesn't cause harm? According to this, it does: "Insecticides containing imidacloprid, including the Bayer Advanced 3-in-1 line, are a case in point. Imidacloprid kills the honey bees that help feed the world."

Yes, it’s possible, but I still use it. If I feel as though the plants are not struggling with an ailment, I switch to plain fertilizer.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:17 AM

1,413 posts, read 741,430 times
Those are aphids. Put some liquid dish soap in a plant- or hose-end sprayer and spray them.

You could also get a new batch of ladybugs. They munch on the aphids, and then move on when they're mostly gone.

Black spot is a fungal disease. It looks like your rose is planted under a tree. Transplanting to a sunnier place this fall might help.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:21 AM

Thanks everyone. I'll get on the soapy water thing as soon as the rain let's up. Does it matter what kind of soap I use? I think I've read to use Dawn. Yuck, I just couldn't believe how many there were!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Black spot is a fungal disease. It looks like your rose is planted under a tree. Transplanting to a sunnier place this fall might help.

Actually, it's under a rose topiary or whatever you want to call it (see attached), but the spots are on everything. It has been a weird summer (humid, rainy, overcast) where nothing is drying out except every so often.
Attached Thumbnails
Rose bush bug issue?-capture7.png  

Old 07-15-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post

This is my concern too. My husband would rather buy more ladybugs to help. Also, I'm trying not to use pesticides since I've been wanting to make stuff out of the petals since I have so many!

Old 07-15-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Yes, that's a heavy infestation of aphids sucking the juices out of the roses. And yes, there are way too many of them for your free ranging ladybugs to keep up with all of them. For a really quick instant fix - first of all check to see if there are ladybugs on the roses and if there are some then hose down the bushes with water to knock off any ladybugs that are on them so the ladybugs will go away for a little while. It's for the ladybug's safety. Then fill a big spray bottle with soapy water (you can use dish soap) and spray the rose plants and aphids very liberally with the soapy solution.

Saturate every inch of the plants everywhere including spraying under the leaves and down all the stems. The plants should be dripping wet with soapy water all over. Let sit and drip dry for an hour, then use the garden hose to hose the plants down thoroughly with fresh water. It will wash off the soap and all the dead/dying insects as well as aphid eggs.

If necessary (or just for your peace of mind) you can spray the soapy water on a second time again, only do a light misting the second time but still mist it all over and then leave that soapy water on overnight. Rinse again first thing in the morning with water from the garden hose. They should be okay for several weeks after that before more aphids come back but you should still check them every day or two to be on the safe side.

I use the soapy water any time I see aphids or spit bugs on any plants and don't usually have to worry about those plants getting those bugs on them again for several weeks after a treatment, if at all.

For that photo that I put up, if anything, all I'm going to do is cut that stalk (it doesn't belong there anyways), however, it just means the rest of it is probably invested too. Yuck. Do I need to wait for it to stop raining? Does it need to be a warm day or anything? I hope I don't kill any of the good bugs. My poor rose bushes.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:28 AM

15,902 posts, read 9,641,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Whoops. Wrong board. Can a mod move this to the Garden board? If not, please delete it. Mod note: Thread moved.

Sadly, all my rose bushes, although still doing really well, have a lot of issues going on with them. The leaves have dark spots, seems to be a lot of spiders, the wasps or whatever they are love the roses (sucks when I have to trim them), and then I saw this (see pic). OMG, yuck. Are those aphids? How do I get rid of them? I had put ladybugs on the bushes a few months back and they're there, but maybe they can't control that many bugs.

Photo Link
Isn't that Rose Rosette?
https://agrilifeextension.tamu.edu/l...rosette-virus/

I believe you can fight it, but you won't win. If I'm right, the bushes have to be replaced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or