Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2019, 08:00 AM

2,319 posts, read 2,169,630 times

Advertisements

I applied Concentrate weed killer (liquid) by using pump sprayer, it killed some weed but not every types of weed, probably I did not buy the right weed killer, which does not kill crabgrass and another type of weed (I don't know what it called).

Now I am thinking to apply weed killer again (not buying liquid anymore) but buy that kind of product in a bag, then watering the product into soil. Can I apply it right after mowing or before mowing? I know for liquid weed killer and it is not a good idea to apply right after mowing (not much leaves left), but does mowing matter for non-liquid weed killer?

My lawn is in bad shape, I have also applied Lawn Insect Killer twice in the past two weeks, first time, I was planning to apply before raining, but the weather somehow changes, it became heavy storm. It appeared the first time application does not work well, the water washed the product away. So I applied Lawn Insect Killer again two days ago.

I am not sure if it is good to apply so many different types of products within a few weeks. But I really hope to get rid off weed this month, then apply nothing in August(let my lawn free off any products for at least one month), the re-seeding in September(maybe later September). I think I still have at least one and half months left before re-seeding, not sure if it is good idea to apply weed killer now, or next few days (since I just applied lawn insect killer). If not applying weed killer again, it is time consuming to manually pull it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 09:22 AM

5 posts, read 13,174 times
Mowing is the safest, most environmentally friendly way to deal with weeds. If you must use or re-apply a chemical, consult your county agent or someone at your state university. They will know your zone and what weeds are prevalent in your area,
and which chemical is most beneficial to use. After spraying the weeds with weed killer, it is good practice to wait at least one week before fertilizing. I've been buying safe lawn fertilizer Dr. Earth natural lawn fertilizer from Amazon in recent years, and so far I am very pleased with the result. Anyway, the lawn improvement marketplace is full of convenient weed and feed products.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:30 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baike View Post
I applied Concentrate weed killer (liquid) by using pump sprayer, it killed some weed but not every types of weed, probably I did not buy the right weed killer, which does not kill crabgrass and another type of weed (I don't know what it called).

Now I am thinking to apply weed killer again (not buying liquid anymore) but buy that kind of product in a bag, then watering the product into soil. Can I apply it right after mowing or before mowing? I know for liquid weed killer and it is not a good idea to apply right after mowing (not much leaves left), but does mowing matter for non-liquid weed killer?

My lawn is in bad shape, I have also applied Lawn Insect Killer twice in the past two weeks, first time, I was planning to apply before raining, but the weather somehow changes, it became heavy storm. It appeared the first time application does not work well, the water washed the product away. So I applied Lawn Insect Killer again two days ago.

I am not sure if it is good to apply so many different types of products within a few weeks. But I really hope to get rid off weed this month, then apply nothing in August(let my lawn free off any products for at least one month), the re-seeding in September(maybe later September). I think I still have at least one and half months left before re-seeding, not sure if it is good idea to apply weed killer now, or next few days (since I just applied lawn insect killer). If not applying weed killer again, it is time consuming to manually pull it out.
My suggestions are:

1. Use crabgrass preemergent in the spring. This will be a granular product that will require a spreader.

2. Continue to use a liquid concentrate weed killer with your pump sprayer on the remaining weeds.

3. All weedkillers have instructions as to how many times the herbicide can be applied on an annual basis and how much time should be between each application.

4. Granular broadleaf herbicides require that the grass is wet when you apply the herbicide so that it can stick to the weed. Most also say you should not apply on days when you're expecting rain or sometimes within 24 hours. I find this to be difficult and messy to do. I've applied it when the grass is wet from dew or rain and the spreader opening clogs up. Weedkillers work much better with a liquid spray with a surfactant such as this: https://www.amazon.com/Southern-Ag-S.../dp/B004XDHRCE

5. Weedkillers are selective and won't kill all weeds. Some also require multiple applications and must also be applied at the right time of the year.

6. Spot spraying and pulling will be your best bet if you want to reseed in September.

Old 09-02-2019, 04:17 PM

7,487 posts, read 7,156,393 times
Which product did you actually use?

Take a look at Lawn Care Tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baike View Post

Old 09-03-2019, 06:30 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
A lawn includes one to many species, some of which you desire. For a weed killer to prevent growth of the ones you don’t want is complex. Each species must have some growth feature or biochemical entity that makes it susceptible to the weed killer you choose. And the grass you want to keep must not be susceptible. Better to have a lawn chemical company get you started. In the end it is cheaper and more satisfying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden