Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2008, 08:43 AM

83 posts, read 742,815 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have an area of approximately 3,000 square feet that is loaded with crabgrass, weeds, etc. what would you reccomend to clear this out with so I can begin putting grass seed down? I noticed Lowes sells a electric Cultivator for 200.00 Would this work? Thanks for any help you can give me. This is the best message board I have seen. Very Informative!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 03:34 PM

1,007 posts, read 5,667,826 times
I can only tell you what I did. I had too many weeds, so I first killed the weeds/lawn. Then I had some top soil delivered and rented a tiller. Then I reseeded. Worked for me.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:42 PM

18 posts, read 70,618 times
Default Weed killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradshaw View Post
Hello, I have an area of approximately 3,000 square feet that is loaded with crabgrass, weeds, etc. what would you reccomend to clear this out with so I can begin putting grass seed down? I noticed Lowes sells a electric Cultivator for 200.00 Would this work? Thanks for any help you can give me. This is the best message board I have seen. Very Informative!
Listen to Janet,we bought one of the weed puller,man I would be out there till I was 90 and then would have to start all over again.
And now is the time to do the weed and feed.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:21 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,383,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demogirl50 View Post
Listen to Janet,we bought one of the weed puller,man I would be out there till I was 90 and then would have to start all over again.
And now is the time to do the weed and feed.
I put down weed and feed a week and a half ago, how long does it take to kill? We have tons of crabgrass and now I see the product does not cover that but I have tons of dandilions come up after putting it down, it didn't seem to do anything .

Also, how long should I wait to put down seed?

Thanks

Old 04-16-2008, 05:51 AM

I would use Roundup to kill the weeds and/or Trioxx to sterilize soil. You will see the grass turn brown/dead. You can till up and put seed down right away.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:23 AM

I take that back about Trioxx. Don't use this as this will sterilize soil for years. Just use Roundup - read directions. Sorry about the bad informatioin.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:19 AM

23,615 posts, read 70,512,920 times
Using roundup like this is pretty common. Sometimes tillers can be rented, or a farmer hired to till. One did a garden area about twice this size for us for under $60. After tilling, you still have to rake the soil out and smooth the surface, so you'll have plenty of work to do anyway.

I dislike "weed and feed" as the atrazine is something I don't want around. It stays in the soil, gets into groundwater, etc. Atrazine also is spotty on what it will kill and what can survive it. If janipoo hadn't put it down, I would suggest harvesting the dandilions for greens and tea and a host of other food uses. They were imported to the U.S. for that purpose. I fear that a lot of people in cities and suburbs will find that they will no longer be able to have safe food gardens in the future, which is not a happy situation now that food prices in general are going up.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:29 AM

11,398 posts, read 24,480,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Using roundup like this is pretty common. Sometimes tillers can be rented, or a farmer hired to till. One did a garden area about twice this size for us for under $60. After tilling, you still have to rake the soil out and smooth the surface, so you'll have plenty of work to do anyway.

Harry's right. Now that it's spring, spray with Roundup, wait a week or two for everything to die, then till. Renting a tiller once in awhile is far more cost effective than buying one, IMO. Just rent and return. No hassles. Rent a teenager to do the work and you're golden.

As for new grass, where do you live? You can plant immediately, once you're finished tilling/raking. But what kind of grass do you intend to plant?

Old 04-18-2008, 01:28 PM

44,652 posts, read 61,699,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janecj View Post
I take that back about Trioxx. Don't use this as this will sterilize soil for years. Just use Roundup - read directions. Sorry about the bad informatioin.
Pheww, glad you corrected yourself. Not only is Triox a dangerous soil sterilant, it is generally banned everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden