U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2019, 05:42 AM

1,039 posts, read 691,607 times

Advertisements

Hand pulling is kinda not the option, since it is very time consuming.

For a lot of products sold in Home Depot, most says: apply in Spring or Fall. Now it is hot summer, I am not sure if it is effective and not hurting grass (tall fescue).

Is there product working well in hot summer?

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 06:50 AM

2,716 posts, read 996,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baike View Post

For a lot of products sold in Home Depot, most says: apply in Spring or Fall. Now it is hot summer, I am not sure if it is effective and not hurting grass (tall fescue).

Thanks.
Here is some good information on the subject, from Michigan State University:

https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/crabgr...g_a_hot_summer

Quinclorac seems to be the only option available to homeowners rather than only professionals. HOWEVER, this and other non-commercial web sites all mention that if your crabgrass is mature (large/with several 'tillers' which is what the leaf stalks are called) Quinclorac will probably not provide complete control. It will work well on the smaller plants but may not kill the larger/largest ones. So those may end up having to be dug out anyway.

Quinclorac is the name of the active ingredient, so you need to read the labels on store products. You'd be better off by ordering it from Amazon and mixing your own, because stores like Lowes and HD are likely to have only the popular brand-name mass-market weed control products.

https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Herbici...-search&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.com/Quinclorac-Se...-search&sr=8-1

Old 07-17-2019, 07:10 AM

7,203 posts, read 8,889,497 times
Most crabgrass herbicides simply prevent germination of the seed which works because it starts fresh from seed every year. With existing plants just keep it mowed.

And be sure you really have crabgrass. Goosegrass for example is a whole ‘nother Problem.

Old 07-17-2019, 02:51 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,096,984 times
BBC is spot on with the Drive XLR8 recommendation! It works, period.

When we bought our house in late 2015, we realized a few months later when it was hot as snot out that we basically had a front lawn of about 50% crabgrass. Mature crabgrass. I researched like crazy, and was led directly to Drive XLR8 along with a surfactant mixed in (or dish soap). This will absolutely guaranteed no doubt about it, fix your crabgrass issue!

It’s strong stuff. 1 ounce per 1 gallon of water with a tablespoon or two of the surfactant, stirred together and misted on and immediately around the crabgrass. It’ll be dead in about a week. I had blooms the size of large pizzas. Killed it all off like a champ in about 10 days with one application, without harming the normal grass around it. Do NOT drench it though, just a gentle misting is needed. Drenching will likely kill the good grass too.

It’s been 4 years now, and I’ve only needed one bottle of it to maintain my lawn 100% crabgrass free. It’s also a GREAT preventative for areas where you know it likes to bloom in general. For me, that’s along the street edge (we don’t have sidewalks or curbs, just blacktop right to the lawn). Sprayed a strip in April, and 0% crabgrass to date..

Old 07-17-2019, 02:53 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,096,984 times
PS: it won’t hurt grass seed or delay germination of grass seed either. So you can toss new seed down where you spray and let it backfill the hole in your lawn that the dying crabgrass bloom will leave behind.

Old 07-17-2019, 04:20 PM

29,851 posts, read 65,552,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baike View Post
Any of the quality brands will work well enough.
But without the weeds there for protection the remaining grass is likely to die too.

Well, unless you irrigate. Then you might even get some cover to grow. Or not.
I've been refusing to pay city water rates to create grass I have to mow.

Old 07-17-2019, 05:22 PM

4,222 posts, read 2,293,826 times
DC has hot summers. I'm not sure you'd want to put any sort of weed killer on cool season grass in the summertime. Best to use pre-emergent in the spring when your fescue is healthy and not temperature-stressed, and the soil temps aren't too warm (crabrass will start germinating if you wait too late).

I just let the guy who services my lawn do it when it's needed. Might be more expensive in the DC area, but my guy charges about $55 5 times a year for 6000 or so sq ft of lawn area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or