Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 11:46 AM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times

Advertisements

My praying mantis are huge - a good five inches or more. A praying mantis, as big as Godzilla, fly into my house last fall. According to the Wikipedia, they can reach lengths of 20 cm or about 8 inches.

"The Praying Mantis is a large insect from the order of Mantodea. It's called the "Praying" Mantis because it often stands in a pose that looks like it is praying. There are different types of Praying Mantises. They are often named after different areas of the world (like the Carolina Mantis, the European Mantis, and the Chinese Mantis), but many can be found all over the world.

How Big is a Praying Mantis?

These species will vary in size. For example the Carolina Mantis will grow to about 2 inches long, while the Chinese Praying Mantis can grow over 5 inches long."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 12:34 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
There was one sitting on my faucet. It scared the crap out of me when I went to turn it on. I stuck my finger out and it climbed onto my arm. This was late in October and I thought it would be fun for the kids at the Halloween party. I had it in a big fish tank and there was lots of screams when I fed it crickets for the kids.

I found another one in the fall and brought it in. It lived on my kitchen curtain and in the plant I had there in the window. You could pick it up anytime. I always marveled at how it could hold one cricket and eat another.

When it stopped eating the shorties and I took it to the woods in the park where the Indian spirits lived to offer it as a gift. (You have to tell them stories with morals and respect )
They're pretty amazing bugs but I don't think you need to save them. Nature has a way of working that out.

Old 07-21-2019, 02:30 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times
When I was in my teens, me and a friend of mine were walking around in a wooded area and found a mantis that was trying to get out of a puddle. We got it out and it seemed kind of limpy so we brought it home and set up a 'mantis habitat' in a large aquarium with tree branches and houseplants. After a meal of a couple of crickets and an overnight rest, the mantis had perked up and was sitting on top of the coffeemaker preening itself the next morning as if nothing had happened to it.

I held my hand out and the mantis crawled right into it and we released it into my friend's mother's garden where she was having trouble with pesky beetles eating her flowers. She saw the mantis pretty regularly, often chomping down on the pesky beetles. We finally figured out "it" was a "she" when next spring came and there was a hatching of a bunch of mantises in the garden.

Old 07-23-2019, 05:56 PM

294 posts, read 219,707 times
Thanks for all the replies it is great to hear all the stories. Had a storm nearby last night and it got a little windy and he did OK. I put a bunch of dried bermuda grass around the plant, it is very fluffy and sits several inches high so he might survive if he gets blown onto it. He is about 3 to 4 inches long and growing. I will update in a week or two.

Old 07-27-2019, 12:52 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
I see them pretty regularly in my area, they are around 5-6" long, Ive never seen one larger than that though.

Old 07-27-2019, 12:00 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
Just leave it alone. They survived millions of years of storms (many of which have been much worse than your 50 mph ones) without your help.

Old 08-02-2019, 03:58 PM

8,758 posts, read 5,055,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Kill praying mantis - it eats everything including good bugs and hummingbirds. Can't stand them!
Isn`t that against the law??

Old 08-06-2019, 07:54 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,733,516 times
You're so kind to think of the creature. I had one that I thought was dying, so I kept him as a pet for two weeks. I turned him loose when he did better and missed him horribly.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:20 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Isn`t that against the law??
I didn't know that they killed small birds.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:59 PM

151 posts, read 107,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I didn't know that they killed small birds.
I read an article about them haning around hummingbird feeder and killing hummingbirds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden