U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2019, 06:49 PM

842 posts, read 196,497 times

Advertisements

Whatever magnolia I plant being evergreen in my area is my main priority, but I'd like to know because Sweetbay is native to Tennessee while Magnolia grandiflora (Southern magnolia) isn't and won't even propagate by seed. However, I do prefer the hardy North American palms (especially Rhapidophyllum hystrix or Sabal minor) or either type of magnolia over the Japanese banana or Pampas grass, the latter two of which are smaller, deciduous and non-native.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and answer this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 07:09 PM

15,871 posts, read 32,932,833 times
Down here on the gulf coast Sweetbay is evergreen, but I think it TN it would likely lose it leaves during the winter.

Old 07-28-2019, 03:50 PM

3 posts, read 765 times
Sweet Bay magnolia are semi-evergreen in Tennessee. Quite a messy tree as they tend to drop leaves slowly all winter. Magnolia 'DD Blanchard' is a wonderful evergreen variety to plant that does well here. Deep green glossy leaves with a deep brown underneath. Strikingly beautiful.

Old 07-28-2019, 06:42 PM

15,871 posts, read 32,932,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrownlandscaper View Post
Sweet Bay magnolia are semi-evergreen in Tennessee. Quite a messy tree as they tend to drop leaves slowly all winter. Magnolia 'DD Blanchard' is a wonderful evergreen variety to plant that does well here. Deep green glossy leaves with a deep brown underneath. Strikingly beautiful.
I have a DD Blanchard I bought years ago at the botanical gardens. It is beautiful but it’s also a lot slower growing than a seedling Southern Magnolia.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:29 PM

27,270 posts, read 25,874,276 times
I had Sweet Bay Magnolia in Southern New Jersey. It wasn't an evergreen there, but took all winter to drop its leaves. It's a very tough tree.

Old 08-02-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I had Sweet Bay Magnolia in Southern New Jersey. It wasn't an evergreen there, but took all winter to drop its leaves. It's a very tough tree.
Do you mean it was semi-evergreen like a Southern Live Oak, or did the leaves turning brown the first time it dropped into the single-digits or lower teens?

Old 08-06-2019, 06:46 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,237,477 times
I would imagine that whether it would be evergreen or deciduous would vary with the severity of any given winters cold waves. I know that in my borderline 5b/6a hardiness zone in central Indiana, the sweetbay magnolia is invariably deciduous, albeit during warmer than average falls and winters it is somewhat tardily deciduous. I would guess that in Tennessee’s zone 7a, it would vary between tardily deciduous and semi evergreen, depending on the winter that season.

Old 08-07-2019, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
I would imagine that whether it would be evergreen or deciduous would vary with the severity of any given winters cold waves. I know that in my borderline 5b/6a hardiness zone in central Indiana, the sweetbay magnolia is invariably deciduous, albeit during warmer than average falls and winters it is somewhat tardily deciduous. I would guess that in Tennessee’s zone 7a, it would vary between tardily deciduous and semi evergreen, depending on the winter that season.
That's kind of what I figured. Thank you! Should I opt for the Southern Magnolia, then?

Old 08-07-2019, 11:55 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,237,477 times
^^^^^^^

Yes, the southern magnolia should do well in your zone 7a in mid Tennessee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or