U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2019, 12:08 PM

3 posts, read 642 times

Advertisements

I had over 70 emerald green arborvitaes planted in 2015 as a privacy hedge. They have all survived, and overall, look great. They were 4' tall when planted, and some of them are around 8' now.

But a few of them have not grown as much, and I wish I knew why. One in particular is barely over 5'. It has grown wide, but has barely gotten taller. Could this be from too much sun? Not enough water (I bought a cheap soil moisture meter a few years ago, and it didn't tell me much, because the readings were vastly different when I moved the meter only a few inches away)? Too much water? Something else I'm not considering?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2019, 02:47 PM

72,198 posts, read 55,211,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan84 View Post
I had over 70 emerald green arborvitaes planted in 2015 as a privacy hedge. They have all survived, and overall, look great. They were 4' tall when planted, and some of them are around 8' now.

But a few of them have not grown as much, and I wish I knew why. One in particular is barely over 5'. It has grown wide, but has barely gotten taller. Could this be from too much sun? Not enough water (I bought a cheap soil moisture meter a few years ago, and it didn't tell me much, because the readings were vastly different when I moved the meter only a few inches away)? Too much water? Something else I'm not considering?
If it was me I'd say less sun would do that.
Another is the burlap was kept on the root ball restricting it.
Another would be simply the soil under there, might not be as "good" as where the others are. Do a soil test.
Another could be road salt from winter?
Were there old roots under there from other shrubs/trees?

They look super healthy though! Nice. Give them a Holly Tone in September.

Old 07-27-2019, 03:54 PM

40,444 posts, read 50,056,070 times
Genetics, hard soil, root bound, competition. Your soil can vary from foot to foot and plants having a difficult time pushing roots through will suffer first. Plants that close will compete for water and nutrients with each other.

Old 07-27-2019, 06:45 PM

3 posts, read 642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
If it was me I'd say less sun would do that.
If anything, the ones on that side get more sun, but there are ones on that side that are a foot or more higher, so I guess it's probably not the sun.
Quote:
Were there old roots under there from other shrubs/trees?
Not on that side. Interestingly, the ones that are doing better are planted where there were hemlocks that were removed. These are planted right next to the sidewalk, so I wonder if that could have anything to do with it, but again, there are others on that side that are much taller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Genetics, hard soil, root bound, competition. Your soil can vary from foot to foot and plants having a difficult time pushing roots through will suffer first. Plants that close will compete for water and nutrients with each other.
Thanks. We were told by one person to plant them 3' apart. Somebody else told us 2' so we wouldn't have to wait as long for privacy. We split the difference and did 2.5'. It seems like we made the right call since overall they're doing well, but I wonder if they would be growing even more if we did 3'.

Old 07-27-2019, 07:11 PM

7,151 posts, read 4,190,580 times
They'll grow... just slower.

Old 07-27-2019, 07:59 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,545,287 times
It's like being the runt of the litter....once the competition starts getting even a tiny bit ahead, the runt has more and more trouble keeping up, and it snowballs from there...the taller ones keep getting taller. I think the little one will be okay though, they all look healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or